Keyword

Black bars only on phones

More
7 years 1 week ago - 7 years 4 days ago #161359 by BW
Black bars only on phones was created by BW
When I open the AllVideos 4.7.0 plugin in the back end of my joomla! 3.6.5 site, I was getting this notice across the top of the page:

Strict Standards: Declaration of JWElement::render() should be compatible with JFormField::render($layoutId, $data = Array) in /home/sitename/public_html/plugins/content/jw_allvideos/jw_allvideos/includes/elements/base.php on line 17

My server is using PHP Version 5.6.3

I do not get this message on my local development copy (Bitnami Stack) that is using PHP version 5.6.29.

I learned how to turn off the notice reporting through Joomla! CMS but I still don’t understand why I was receiving the notice on one server and not the other since error reporting was set the same.

Most Importantly, could this be causing the black bars I am getting on top and bottom of my 4:3 video only when displayed on phones? This is happening only on my live server and not on my local server. I am using Google’s browser Development tools to discern these things because I don’t have a smart phone of my own. The video and black bars are also covering parts of the text on the page. My videos are totally responsive until they reach cell phone size. Please tell me how to remove the black bars from cell phone videos.

Here is a link to my site:

fishingbw.com

Thanks for your help.
Last edit: 7 years 4 days ago by BW. Reason: Updated Information

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 2 days ago - 7 years 2 days ago #161459 by BW
Replied by BW on topic Black bars only on phones
This is to update my original post above. I'm using an Artisteer 4.3.0 generated template and Vimeo.

I have now used MVC Templating according to the advice given by Yiota in this thread:

[url=http://https://www.joomlaworks.net/forum/allvideos/14328-all-videos-not-resizing-%7Byoutube%7D]all-videos-not-resizing[/url]

I have also used 76% instead of 56%. to give me the screen ratio of 4:3 that I want for my full size web page. The videos now do not overlap my text on mobile devices and they fluidly resize with screen size, but the aspect ratio coverts to 16:9 for mobile devices and I get the black bars on the sides of the video.

I have tried playing around with some of the commands and parameters in the code in the css file, but I'm not a coder and I don't really know what I'm doing.

Does anybody know what adjustments I could make to the code so that I can make make my mobile videos look like my full size videos?

Thank You, BW
Last edit: 7 years 2 days ago by BW.

• Krikor Boghossian
  • Platinum Member
More
7 years 1 day ago #161485 by Krikor Boghossian
Replied by Krikor Boghossian on topic Black bars only on phones
Hello,

Vimeo will display black bars if the video does not meet the exact dimensions/ ratio of the viewport. Youtube will stretch the thumbnail on the other hand.

There is only one way to solve this, is to provide the exact dimension of this video. However you are using a custom override, you will need to edit that override and hardcode a specific dimension.

Now as for the error message, you need to install the DEV version github.com/joomlaworks/allvideos

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---
Please search the forum before posting a new topic :)

More
7 years 1 day ago #161504 by BW
Thank you for your response Krikor.

As I mentioned previously I’m not a coder, but I’m willing to try any code you might be able to suggest. The dimensions of my videos are 640x480.

I would very much appreciate any suggestions you could offer.

Thank you, BW

• Krikor Boghossian
  • Platinum Member
More
7 years 1 day ago #161506 by Krikor Boghossian
There is a div element inserted by Artisteer which is enforcing the 16.9 ratio -> jmp.sh/IxmbxIO

You need to edit that element's properties as well.

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---

More
7 years 1 day ago #161510 by BW
Wow! Thank you very much Krikor!

Changing padding-bottom to 76% worked perfectly! Now I will just have to remember to make that change the next time I generate a new template.

Now that you have solved my problem with the phone videos, I’m wondering if it would be too much of a favor to ask you to spot the bug in the tablet videos (iPad Pro)? Either way you have been a real life saver to me.

Thank you very much,
BW

• Krikor Boghossian
  • Platinum Member
More
7 years 20 hours ago #161514 by Krikor Boghossian
Add this snippet in your template's stylesheet.
.avVideo .avPlayerContainer .avPlayerBlock iframe, .avVideo .avPlayerContainer .avPlayerBlock object, .avVideo .avPlayerContainer .avPlayerBlock embed, .avVideo .avPlayerContainer .avPlayerBlock video, .avVideo .avPlayerContainer .avPlayerBlock video { max-width: 100%; }

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---

More
7 years 15 hours ago #161522 by BW
That was amazing Krikor, thank you very much!

LOL, I really didn’t understand where to put that snippet, and even after doing a little searching on the web, I just decided to drop it onto the end of the /* Begin Additional CSS Styles */section of the template.css file, and it worked beautifully.

Thank you very much for helping me with this and for helping to give all of my old videos and noncommercial website some extended life. I hope this thread helps many others as well.

Your effort in this matter has inspired me to purchase Frontpage Slideshow.

Thanks again,
BW

• Krikor Boghossian
  • Platinum Member
More
7 years 13 hours ago #161527 by Krikor Boghossian
Thank you :)
I really appreciate your kind words!

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---