Keyword

[FIXED] Blurry category images

More
13 years 6 months ago #74856 by michael neese
Replied by michael neese on topic [FIXED] Blurry category images
Thanks for the investigative work K2X...You hung in there and solved the issue...
I have updated several sites with this change, but the sad thing is...now I have to remove the offensive older category images and update the images...somewhat of a challenge for a large site, and I don't think I can ethically charge the client for an update like this....glad it's the category images only and not the item images...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 6 months ago #74857 by Ethan Hall
Replied by Ethan Hall on topic [FIXED] Blurry category images
would this also work for the article images if i added it somewhere else ? as i am getting them blurred also , and neither setting the global to 100% nor changing it from the module had any results, i did the fix for the categories and it's working ok.

This happened when using Aida , is someone experiences this , just hit "use thumbnail" from the images area, that fixes it.

• Todd Allen
  • Todd Allen's Avatar Topic Author
More
13 years 6 months ago #74858 by Todd Allen
Replied by Todd Allen on topic [FIXED] Blurry category images
Articles? There are no articles in K2 - only categories and items. If you are referring to the Core Joomla Articles, the answer is no. This class is only used by K2, not by the Joomla core.

More
13 years 6 months ago #74859 by Ethan Hall
Replied by Ethan Hall on topic [FIXED] Blurry category images
was referring to the items, seems tat by using the Aida news thumbnail function made them look even more burry outside Aida , as K2 seems now to take info from the thumbnails

K2x said:Articles? There are no articles in K2 - only categories and items. If you are referring to the Core Joomla Articles, the answer is no. This class is only used by K2, not by the Joomla core.

More
13 years 5 months ago #74860 by Troy Thomas
Replied by Troy Thomas on topic [FIXED] Blurry category images
Ethan Hall said:was referring to the items, seems tat by using the Aida news thumbnail function made them look even more burry outside Aida , as K2 seems now to take info from the thumbnails
K2x said:Articles? There are no articles in K2 - only categories and items. If you are referring to the Core Joomla Articles, the answer is no. This class is only used by K2, not by the Joomla core.

Same thing here, inside items when i show a resized image it is blurry.

More
13 years 2 months ago #74861 by Tangent Alliance
Replied by Tangent Alliance on topic [FIXED] Blurry category images
Help. Assuming line 67 was

if
($handle->uploaded)
{

Photos are still blurry. Tried renaming my original pics and reloading them in new 'items'. Nada ??

help and regards.

Help

K2x said:

Alright Michael, because I find you so truly annoying, I decided to take the time to look through the files and fix the problem (rather than just run my mouth like you have been). First, I can understand why the K2 development team may not have replied to my original inquiry --- they didn't write the upload class that is used to handle file uploads. It was originally written by Colin Verot at www.verot.net. That's not to discredit the K2 team because I use established libraries whenever I can during development too. It saves time and time is money. The good news is that Colin took the time to document the usage of his library VERY well to assist developers in understanding and implementing it correctly (Thank You Colin). If only Michael were half as helpful...To all that have run into this problem, here is the fix:- Open the category.php file located in your \administrator\components\com_k2\models folder.- Go down to line #67- After line line #67, add this line of code:$handle->jpeg_quality = $params->get('imagesQuality');- Save and upload.Adding that line of code will set the quality of the uploaded category images to whatever you have specified the quality should be under the K2 parameters.The problem (Michael) is that the K2 developers did not set the quality of the upload to the quality set in the parameters. And by not doing that, it defaulted to the library preset of 85% which is why we were all seeing artifacts in the uploaded images.So, as you can see Michael:1. The K2 developers WERE to blame as this was clearly an oversight (it was setup this way for item uploads btw, I made sure of it after fixing this code)2. I actually am the head of a development team at an advertising agency and we actually have deployed our own CMS which most of our clients use. However some specifically request Joomla and we work with the best tools available when we have to use it. K2 is still the best at what it does IMO.3. Michael, let me know if you need any help installing purchased templates in the future. I saw you were having some trouble in your other threads. I have experience coding Joomla templates from scratch and can probably help you. : PNow who was out of line? I will be anxiously awaiting your reply. LOL!

More
12 years 10 months ago #74862 by vecdom
Replied by vecdom on topic [FIXED] Blurry category images
To fix blurry item images use the same code:

- Open the item.php file located in your \administrator\components\com_k2\models folder.  - Go down to line #184  ( if ($handle->uploaded) { )  - After line line #184, add this line of code:             $handle->jpeg_quality = $params->get('imagesQuality');  - Save and upload.

- You will need to re-upload images.

Tangent Alliance said:

Help. Assuming line 67 was

if
($handle->uploaded)
{

Photos are still blurry. Tried renaming my original pics and reloading them in new 'items'. Nada ??

help and regards.

Help

K2x said:

Alright Michael, because I find you so truly annoying, I decided to take the time to look through the files and fix the problem (rather than just run my mouth like you have been). First, I can understand why the K2 development team may not have replied to my original inquiry --- they didn't write the upload class that is used to handle file uploads. It was originally written by Colin Verot at www.verot.net. That's not to discredit the K2 team because I use established libraries whenever I can during development too. It saves time and time is money. The good news is that Colin took the time to document the usage of his library VERY well to assist developers in understanding and implementing it correctly (Thank You Colin). If only Michael were half as helpful...To all that have run into this problem, here is the fix:- Open the category.php file located in your \administrator\components\com_k2\models folder.- Go down to line #67- After line line #67, add this line of code:$handle->jpeg_quality = $params->get('imagesQuality');- Save and upload.Adding that line of code will set the quality of the uploaded category images to whatever you have specified the quality should be under the K2 parameters.The problem (Michael) is that the K2 developers did not set the quality of the upload to the quality set in the parameters. And by not doing that, it defaulted to the library preset of 85% which is why we were all seeing artifacts in the uploaded images.So, as you can see Michael:1. The K2 developers WERE to blame as this was clearly an oversight (it was setup this way for item uploads btw, I made sure of it after fixing this code)2. I actually am the head of a development team at an advertising agency and we actually have deployed our own CMS which most of our clients use. However some specifically request Joomla and we work with the best tools available when we have to use it. K2 is still the best at what it does IMO.3. Michael, let me know if you need any help installing purchased templates in the future. I saw you were having some trouble in your other threads. I have experience coding Joomla templates from scratch and can probably help you. : PNow who was out of line? I will be anxiously awaiting your reply. LOL!

More
12 years 9 months ago #74863 by B_Dark
Replied by B_Dark on topic [FIXED] Blurry category images
i add this in v2.4.1?!

K2x said:
Alright Michael, because I find you so truly annoying, I decided to take the time to look through the files and fix the problem (rather than just run my mouth like you have been). First, I can understand why the K2 development team may not have replied to my original inquiry --- they didn't write the upload class that is used to handle file uploads. It was originally written by Colin Verot at www.verot.net. That's not to discredit the K2 team because I use established libraries whenever I can during development too. It saves time and time is money. The good news is that Colin took the time to document the usage of his library VERY well to assist developers in understanding and implementing it correctly (Thank You Colin). If only Michael were half as helpful...
To all that have run into this problem, here is the fix:
- Open the category.php file located in your \administrator\components\com_k2\models folder.
- Go down to line #67
- After line line #67, add this line of code:
$handle->jpeg_quality = $params->get('imagesQuality');
- Save and upload.

Adding that line of code will set the quality of the uploaded category images to whatever you have specified the quality should be under the K2 parameters.

The problem (Michael) is that the K2 developers did not set the quality of the upload to the quality set in the parameters. And by not doing that, it defaulted to the library preset of 85% which is why we were all seeing artifacts in the uploaded images.

So, as you can see Michael:
1. The K2 developers WERE to blame as this was clearly an oversight (it was setup this way for item uploads btw, I made sure of it after fixing this code)
2. I actually am the head of a development team at an advertising agency and we actually have deployed our own CMS which most of our clients use. However some specifically request Joomla and we work with the best tools available when we have to use it. K2 is still the best at what it does IMO.
3. Michael, let me know if you need any help installing purchased templates in the future. I saw you were having some trouble in your other threads. I have experience coding Joomla templates from scratch and can probably help you. : P

Now who was out of line? I will be anxiously awaiting your reply. LOL!

• Sebastian van Greunen
More
12 years 8 months ago #74864 by Sebastian van Greunen
Replied by Sebastian van Greunen on topic [FIXED] Blurry category images
Hi K2X, the line of code does not seem to exist in the item.php of v2.4.1. Has this been updated in v2.5?

Thanks

More
9 years 9 months ago #74865 by Gwin
Replied by Gwin on topic Re: [FIXED] Blurry category images
I've read through this entire feed and updated my .php file but my images still look blurry - even though I exported them at 150dpi and no compression. Is there any new news on this?

My site is www.lcjp.org - the images are in the slider.