Keyword

K2 making site very slow - please help

• Scott Lavelle
  • Scott Lavelle's Avatar Topic Author
More
11 years 1 month ago #109961 by Scott Lavelle
Replied by Scott Lavelle on topic Re: K2 making site very slow - please help
Sorely disappointed in the lack of response. I understand that K2 is a free extension, but with its popularity, I would have expected better support from the community and/or developers. I have really tried to make extensive use of the extension in this project, but it will be the last time I do so since it has rendered the site a support dilemma! Now I basically MUST go back to the drawing board to re-create what I have already done with K2 because of what appear to be pretty limiting issues.

Please someone, prove me wrong. Tell me what is going in with the slowness. Anything - really!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 1 month ago #109962 by sawan gupta
Replied by sawan gupta on topic Re: K2 making site very slow - please help
Tell me one thing scott how u r converted the list form to menu tabs......

Means that, if i enter the new entry in the extra field it seems on web page like a list form
example
i select 4 field that it show like -
Award
Publication
Conference
Research

but i want to show this in menu tabs form like -
Award Publication Conference Reserch

how can it is possible give me some help

• Scott Lavelle
More
11 years 1 month ago #109963 by Scott Lavelle
Sawan,

I used the information from the K2 blog about how to get the values of specific fields rather than the whole list of extra fields. So I used this code in place of what's there. The only real differences are that 1. It creates an html table rather than an unordered list and 2. It specifies the fields individually rather than iterating over the whole list of fields (even though in this case I actually use all of the values, which allows the individual placement. I'm sure you could probably use the iterative loop to load the html table too if you wanted to use all the fields - this was just clearer to me. Here's the code:
<tr>
<?php echo "<td>" . htmlspecialchars($item->extraFields->EventName->value) . "</td>"; ?>
<?php echo "<td>" . $item->extraFields->Eventdate->value . ", " . $item->extraFields->EventTime->value ."</td>"; ?>
<?php echo "<td>" . $item->extraFields->EventLocation->value . "</td>"; ?>
<?php echo "<td>" . $item->extraFields->HomeAway->value . "</td>"; ?>
<?php echo "<td>" . $item->extraFields->Results->value . "</td>"; ?>
</tr>

Hope that helps.

• Scott Lavelle
More
11 years 1 month ago #109964 by Scott Lavelle
One quick note: doing the above seems to be a supported way of accomplishing this, but it obviously has killed my site performance. I don't know why, obviously, but take the advice with a grain of salt! :(

• Scott Lavelle
More
11 years 1 month ago #109965 by Scott Lavelle
Well, this post has now been out here for a month and I am nearly the only one who has posted anything to it: feel like I'm talking to myself...

I guess I have to give up and find another way to accomplish this. 20 second load times are totally unacceptable, especially for what amounts to about 25 records actually being loaded out of a table with only a few hundred in total. Ridiculous.

An not one single developer that I can tell! Really? One of the most popular extensions for Joomla and not one bit of help. One of only a handful of CCK options and not one bit of help?

Grrr.

More
11 years 4 weeks ago #109966 by Jack Hughes
Replied by Jack Hughes on topic Re: K2 making site very slow - please help
Hey Scott,

I appreciate your frustration, however I wanted to provide you with some feedback that might shed some light on lack of response to your problems.

#1. You did not provide any meaningful specs on your software. Was it K2 2.6.5?? Are you running any K2 related plugins?? LAMP stack?? What template did you build off of??

#2. Overall negative tone of your posts.

K2 is free. People who help out usually do so out of the kindness of their heart. When I see a negative person posting about problems that I usually don't experience then I just move on.

I can't debug your problems but I can say this: When there is a 15-20 delay from your website when a page loads, it's something more than K2.

I would suggest you look at the performance and functionality using a simpler template that's not loading as much javascript. Strip the site back, test and then build up.

Also, if you are thinking of using Zoo then try a YooTheme as well. I find that templates can cause lots of problems.

Hope this helps and good luck.
Jack

• Scott Lavelle
More
11 years 4 weeks ago #109967 by Scott Lavelle
Jack,

While I appreciate your perspective here, I provided a lot of detail about the issue I was having, but you're right that I didn't supply the exact K2 version. The code that I presented was based on the K2 Blog post showing off this new possibility in using the code to display individual "extra fields" - that was v2.6.2. I have upgraded that now to 2.6.5 in hopes that the new "speed improvements" that were advertised in 2.6.2+ would have some effect here. They didn't. But, the demo version of the site is now on K2 2.6.5, nonetheless.

Please note that I didn't start with a negative tone, and I don't feel that it got negative until after there was pretty much no response. I understand that K2 is free. I also understand that it is one of the most popular extensions to the Joomla system, has a pretty big user community, and is used in tons of templates from many different vendors. As such, I was really hoping for some community or developer support.

I understand that you can't debug my problems, but honestly, neither can I and this is why I came here for ideas. If you take a look at the demo site that I've posted and go to any of the non-K2 pages (basically anything that is not the home page and is not under one of the men's or women's sports menus), you will find that the pages load just fine. I just tested this now - 19seconds for the home page - 2 seconds for several different pages without K2 on them. Even the "coaches directory", which loads up about 25 articles with articles anywhere, loads in about 3 seconds. One sports page with a schedule of 15 games take 10+ seconds to load.

This is not a problem with the site in general. When I take the two K2 content modules off the home page, the speed problems are gone. If I remove the one K2-filled tab from the sports pages, they load just fine. This is almost definitely a K2 issue. I've tested this about as many ways as I could. I use the same T3 framework from Joomlart for all of the sites I build and none of them have this issue except this one - and MANY of them use K2, just not where they load a pile of extra fields on the page where they are having to pull many k2 items with their associated extra fields per page - usually they pull k2 items for Blog purpose or like our web design portfolio does, more or less one k2 item at a time or just a list of them without extra fields.

• Scott Lavelle
More
11 years 1 week ago #109968 by Scott Lavelle
Well, I waited long enough. I have switched over to using Ohanah for my events and tweaked the output a little to make it the same as what I was doing with K2. And it's rediculously faster. Was taking 20+ seconds to load a page with a list of K2 items on it and now it's <2 seconds.

I had an announcement go out that encouraged a bunch of visitors to the site. It got about 49 on at once at peak. This is basically nothing in the world of web, but because the site was loading so slowly, every one of those visitors was repeatedly hitting refresh - at least this is my best guess - and the entire VPS was completely overloaded. All sites on the box slowed to a crawl and this site never even came up for them. Embarrassing.

There is no question that it was K2 that was killing it. As soon as I disabled the extensino, the whole site was instantly usable and the whole server load dropped from 90+ (this is the WHM reading) to <1.

So now I am running with no caches other than the template cache and the site is SO responsive. I still have to figure out one other part, but I have some ideas.

I didn't get any useful help here and I'm disappointed. Out of principal, I'm going to be using something else in those places where I WAS using K2 on new sites. I simply can't be embarrassed like this again because of the performance of 1 extension.

More
9 years 11 months ago #109969 by John Kahrhoff
Replied by John Kahrhoff on topic Re: K2 making site very slow - please help
Hello - this thread is old now, but I agree with Scott regarding the ever increasing load times of K2 content. I am using a JoomlArt template that came with K2 system pre-loaded. K2 is Free, but I have purchased several other items from the company.

I have no custom code on my site - none - and I stay away from non-native extensions. In other words - I used the native components on the template and the Joomla core.

I am using the latest stable version of Joomla and K2 and it is having problems. The sad part it that I built my site and articles around it and it just started slowing down...

I stumbled on this thread because I am searching for a solution.

I will continue to search!

Thanks!

More
9 years 11 months ago #109970 by Lefteris
Replied by Lefteris on topic Re: K2 making site very slow - please help
@John Kahrhoff

Things are simple regarding performance:

1. Enable Joomla! caching. Set it's interval to a logical value.
2. Enable the core system cache plugin.
3. Update K2 and Joomla! to their latest versions.
4. Finally in any case, you can always enable the system debugger. It will give you information regarding the page load and which extensions take a lot of time to load.

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---
Please search the forum before posting a new topic :)