Keyword

K2 Version 3 Questions

• Mr_Anonymous
  • Mr_Anonymous's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
More
9 years 8 months ago #130876 by Mr_Anonymous
K2 Version 3 Questions was created by Mr_Anonymous
First of all, I am really really looking forward to K2 Version 3. It looks amazing and it has some really awesome features. Very big improvements and I cant wait. I have actually stopped my current project so I can wait for version 3 to come out and develop my site as soon as its released. I do have a few questions on this though:

1) I know its currently on Beta release. Based on the current status do you have a rough ETA on when the stable release might be out? I understand you cant know for sure since the RC isint out yet, but some idea on it will be really (hugely) helpful.

2) Is there going to be a lot of changes to the templates? I am assuming, we would need to update the older versions of sub-templates when version 3 is released, is that right?

3) How easy is the upgrade from version 2.6.x to version 3? Is there going to be a lot of database changes? Is it better to wait for version 3 if we havent installed the new site yet?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Krikor Boghossian
  • Platinum Member
More
9 years 8 months ago #130877 by Krikor Boghossian
Replied by Krikor Boghossian on topic Re: K2 Version 3 Questions
Hello and thank you for your kind words.
The ETA is late September, early October.

We are planning to include b/c for the templates so you can upgrade seamlessly.

The last one is completely up to you. It depends on your deadlines and whether you are using any other 3rd party K2 extensions. The update will be quite easy but I can guarantee anything about other K2 extensions.

You can give it a try and try to update a dev site of yours. github.com/joomlaworks/k2-v3-dev-build

It will give you an idea (and possibly provide some feedback) on working with an actual site.

PS. do NOT use it on a production site,

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---
Please search the forum before posting a new topic :)

• Mr_Anonymous
  • Premium Member
More
9 years 8 months ago #130878 by Mr_Anonymous
Replied by Mr_Anonymous on topic Re: K2 Version 3 Questions
That is great Krikor. Thank you so much for your response...

I hope the version 3 is released soon. I know the ETA is not a guarantee since it depends on the bugs reported and time it takes to fix them, etc... But when it gets out, it will take K2 experience to the next level and I am eager to have it on my production site.

My deadline for my project is November. So I might get everything set up in the current K2 version and upgrade to version 3 since it appears to be an easy upgrade. Also this might be safer for me just incase if the release date was pushed further for unforeseen circumstances. I read the K2 blog news which said that you would be releasing a version 2.7.0 now which should have a lot of backend improvements with some elements of version 3. Do you have an ETA on that? Is the frontend editing responsive on that 2.7.0 version?

• Krikor Boghossian
  • Platinum Member
More
9 years 8 months ago #130879 by Krikor Boghossian
You 're right, up to this point nothing that major in terms of time has been reported.

The 2.7.0 version will be released in the coming weeks so I think you have chosen the right workflow.

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---

• Mr_Anonymous
  • Premium Member
More
9 years 8 months ago - 9 years 8 months ago #130880 by Mr_Anonymous
Thanks again Krikor. You've been so helpful. :)

Is there a comprehensive list of features and changes coming up in Version 3 both front end and back end? I've only read bits and pieces here and there.

I would really love more sneak peeks so I know what changes I need to be prepared for. I check the blog here everyday. Would love to see some quick preview on front end changes, editing screen, comments improvements and any other awesome changes that are coming up. I just dont have the time yet to set up a beta in my locahost to test it around (time is our enemy). Just a 5 min video of the demo in your blog should be really good if one of yous ever get a spare time. No need to worry about commentaries or lousy techno music. I just want to see how much K2 has improved! :)

• Krikor Boghossian
  • Platinum Member
More
9 years 8 months ago #130881 by Krikor Boghossian
Thank you for your kind words and feedback.
Be sure to check for the updates. We will consider making this video since it sounds like a good idea.

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---

• Mr_Anonymous
  • Premium Member
More
9 years 7 months ago #130882 by Mr_Anonymous
Hi Krikor,

How have you been.

I havent really heard any updates on Version 3 since the beta annoucement from July in your blog. How far is the progress? How soon would the version 3 stable release be out? Any update plz...

• Krikor Boghossian
  • Platinum Member
More
9 years 7 months ago #130883 by Krikor Boghossian
Hello mate,
The date still stands. Late September, early October.

You can see all the features and bug killing in the Github page.

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---

• Mr_Anonymous
  • Premium Member
More
9 years 7 months ago #130884 by Mr_Anonymous
Thanks for that Krikor. Yeah, I always keep an eye on GitHub issues reported and I can see the active development there which is great. However, before the stable version is out, wouldn't you release a beta 2 or RC before that? or would the stable release will be out next without a need for RC?

I have just now finalized my k2 templates based on 2.6.8. If the v3 date still stands, then I am thinking I could probably start redoing this template for v3 using the beta version. :)

• Krikor Boghossian
  • Platinum Member
More
9 years 7 months ago #130885 by Krikor Boghossian
Are your templates based on a framework like Gantry or T3?
If yes you might have to do some testing, otherwise the frontend changes won't be so many.

It will even be easier. I would propose that you start one on your free time just to get the hang of it. The large difference is that you do not have to edit seperate files for the category/ user/ tag/ generic item. You only have to edit one file.

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---