Keyword

K2 Version 3 Questions

• Mr_Anonymous
  • Mr_Anonymous's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
More
9 years 7 months ago #130886 by Mr_Anonymous
Replied by Mr_Anonymous on topic Re: K2 Version 3 Questions
Hi Krikor.. First I was creating my template based on Gavern FW (Gavick). Later it felt like a bloat since it has too many css, scripts and other files that I dont need so I scratched that and I ended up completely writing my own template old school style with pure html/css/php without using any FW. Now my 2.6.8 k2 sub-templates are designed (css) and re-structured (html) to match my site theme. I only override 3 files now: category.php, category_item.php and item.php. I have created 3 different sub-templates (1 for each section in my site).

From what you are saying, it does seem like k2 templating has gone simpler. When I briefly had a look in github, I noticed that category_item.php is not there (probably merged with category.php) which is good. From one of your previous post I understand that the version 3 has backward compatibility so I am guessing my 2.6.8 template should work without much changes or overrides. The questions I still have in mind is:

1) Are there any api changes? For instance, I use a lot of php custom codes that fetches k2 extra fields like $this->item->extraFields->XYZ->value, etc.. and use the various k2 php codes like fetching hits, rating counts etc.. for schemas and other things. Have there been any changes to this? Would all of these still work in version 3 or do I need to reverify and check them for V3?

2) Have the css and html classes / IDs changed? When I created css overrides for k2 templates, I used the same css classes used in K2 such as catItemImageBlock, catItemImage, etc.. If the tags have been changed, removed or template layout changed, then I need to re-do them. How big of a change in there in the default html and css that was used in 2.6.8 to version 3? (I am mainly interested to know for category.php and item.php pages).

3) Lastly, do you have a list of code changes done to the k2 templates from 2.6.8 to V3? It will be useful if there is a documentation on code changes on templates if you have one already. If not I need to use Winmerge which can get annoying sometimes.

I am hoping to have some spare time in 2-3 of weeks once I finalize everything else on my site and I am thinking of exploring the version 3 then. Hopefully I will have a better idea on what I can expect by then.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Krikor Boghossian
  • Platinum Member
More
9 years 7 months ago #130887 by Krikor Boghossian
Replied by Krikor Boghossian on topic Re: K2 Version 3 Questions
1) They will work with K2 V3 out of the box.
Schemas and such code is front-end stuff that you do not need to change anything. They do not affect any PHP variables.

Since you are going commando I would also recommend writing your own css or striping down K2's css. If you want to use a stylesheet from a template I do not think that it will work since they tend to either simplify the structure or use their own classes that match their framework.

3) This will be done once the version is out. Backwards compatibility is also provided
(unless you are using a really, really outdated template) so things from 2.6.8 will not break.
Older file structure will not break your template in the 3.0 version.

In your position I would not worry too much since stuff that works on 2.6.8 will work on 3.0. Get acquainted with the new logic (which you already have pretty much) and give it a go.

Tip: If you are haven't overrides the login, profile views then remove profile.php and register.php from your overrides. That's two less files to check ;)

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---
Please search the forum before posting a new topic :)

• Mr_Anonymous
  • Premium Member
More
9 years 7 months ago #130888 by Mr_Anonymous
Sorry for the delay in my reply Krikor.

I love your idea of striping down K2's css. Although I did go commando on my main template, for K2 I was only overriding the css. But after your suggestion I had a look at k2.css and it does make sense to strip it down as well. This will prevent loading of unnecessary additional css that are not needed / used for my template. Also having my own css gives me full control over the sub-template and it could also make it a bit easier for V3 upgrade.

I am now going to go through the k2.css and use only the ones I want for my template.

Krikor, each time you replied I always learn something new. All of your tips and suggestions you have given me so far have helped me heaps with my project.Thanks for that. :)

• Krikor Boghossian
  • Platinum Member
More
9 years 7 months ago #130889 by Krikor Boghossian
Replied by Krikor Boghossian on topic Re: K2 Version 3 Questions
You 're welcome :)

I 'm always happy to pass on my knowledge.

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---
Please search the forum before posting a new topic :)

• Mr_Anonymous
  • Premium Member
More
9 years 6 months ago #130890 by Mr_Anonymous

Krikor Boghossian wrote: Hello mate,
The date still stands. Late September, early October.

You can see all the features and bug killing in the Github page.

Its half way in October, there hasnt been any activity in Github in almost 2 weeks and there is still so much unfinished in version 3. My hopes for version 3 has gone down now. Unfortunately I cant wait any longer since it appears like version 3 is gonna take forever considering the really slow progress in it.. :(