Keyword

Get K2 to show selected topics on homepage

• Paul Mitchell
  • Paul Mitchell's Avatar Topic Author
More
9 years 5 months ago #133991 by Paul Mitchell
Get K2 to show selected topics on homepage was created by Paul Mitchell
Hello,

I want to get featured items to show up on my homepage and even though I have designated the featured items in K2 it is hot doing this. I imagine my other settings in the "Category" section are not what they should be. Can someone provide me with a checklist of all the right settings so that the featured items can appear linked to their corresponding pages?

Thanks!

Paul

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Krikor Boghossian
  • Platinum Member
More
9 years 5 months ago #134012 by Krikor Boghossian
Replied by Krikor Boghossian on topic Get K2 to show selected topics on homepage
If your menu item is pointing towards to multiple categories, then the settings you need to edit are located under that menu item.

In any other case you change the ordering to Featured first or "Ordering" from the K2 category's settings.

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---
Please search the forum before posting a new topic :)

• Paul Mitchell
More
9 years 5 months ago #134062 by Paul Mitchell
Replied by Paul Mitchell on topic Get K2 to show selected topics on homepage
Okay, I tried a few things but nothing changed. If I understand you right, you must use the Menu Manager to point to the items that are featured. Well, all the items that are featured are in one category, "Main Checklist," and not multiple categories, so that is the menu item I worked with. Of course the featured items will be on the "Home" page. A question I have at this point is: are the featured items placed in the "Main Body" area or should there be another module set up for them to be placed in?

I also went to the K2 category settings for "Main Checklist Items" and "First (Home) Page" to adjust the settings so that they would include featured items. In the end the result still remains the same with "Home Page" only showing up in the Main Body area. You can see it at this link: m43.siteground.biz/~cftech70/Joomla_3/

If you would like me to PM you my login credentials so you can take a look let me know. I would be willing to to that.

Thanks

• Krikor Boghossian
  • Platinum Member
More
9 years 5 months ago #134084 by Krikor Boghossian
Replied by Krikor Boghossian on topic Get K2 to show selected topics on homepage
The featured items are rendered in the component area, just like any other component. Since I do not know your template I assume it is in the main body area.

Can you send me a screenshot of your menu item params and your category params?

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---

• Paul Mitchell
More
9 years 5 months ago - 9 years 5 months ago #134097 by Paul Mitchell
Okay, here is he imgur link with the screenshots: imgur.com/jPNfzxE,DsiCx1K,3hACMGO,Tf5Sx7b,tUVL6vm,NEjXXXP,hrxNxY8,QbtNSh9,JB1Ue17 And I have labeled them in sequence, according to the menu item parameters and then category item parameter shots. Also in case you need to know, my template is RocketTheme.

If I missed anything or you just need additional information just let me know.

Best,

Paul
Last edit: 9 years 5 months ago by Paul Mitchell. Reason: Needed to adjust for the correct imgur link.

• Krikor Boghossian
  • Platinum Member
More
9 years 5 months ago #134104 by Krikor Boghossian
Your homepage is pointing towards an item not the items.
You need your homepage to point to the Main Checklist category.

If you want to keep the item, then you need to publish a K2 Content module with the same parameters as the ones from your category.

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---

• Paul Mitchell
More
9 years 5 months ago #134107 by Paul Mitchell
Okay, when you say that: "Your homepage is pointing towards an item not the items" I'm not really clear about what settings you are looking at. So if you can point me to the direct settings I can make a better judgment about what should stay and what I should change. It would also be helpful if you let me know in some detail what I would have to change so I can know precisely. If you an also tell me more about which K2 content module I would need and where to get it from that helps.

Thanks

• Krikor Boghossian
  • Platinum Member
More
9 years 5 months ago #134124 by Krikor Boghossian
Your homepage is a K2 item, it should be a K2 Category if you want to display posts. The K2 content module is already present and installed in your modules. You can create a new one and the settings are similar to K2's categories.

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---

• Paul Mitchell
More
9 years 5 months ago - 9 years 4 months ago #134148 by Paul Mitchell
Okay,

Last night I worked long and hard on the site and finally got smart enough to realize that I had to make up a K2 content module, and this is what I came up with if you will click the link to see:

m43.siteground.biz/~cftech70/Joomla_3/

So I think you will agree there is some progress here, but there are still some adjustments that will have to be done. I know at this point that you only make one visit through the forum for the day so I will try to get as many clarifications from you when you come around to check this post.

Here are some questions I have at this point:

1. How do I get rid of the system message: "Notice: Trying to get property of non-object in /home/cftech70/public_html/Joomla_3/modules/mod_k2_content/mod_k2_content.php on line 33" that follows under title The Checklist

2. How do I increase the font size of the featured items.

3. How do I get rid of "Home Page" at the bottom of the featured items.

4. Not sure if this is your area, but why isn't the background of this content area navy blue like the rest of the page? This is a RocketTheme template with MainBody disabled.

Thanks for the help and I won't be closing the ticket right away as I'm sure I'll have some minor tweak questions before I take the site online for the month of December.

Best,

Paul
Last edit: 9 years 4 months ago by Paul Mitchell. Reason: Had to re-write this forum entry since I made progress resolving several issues after it was first written.

• Krikor Boghossian
  • Platinum Member
More
9 years 4 months ago #134182 by Krikor Boghossian
This is just a notice, it will not affect your site's functionality in any way. You can turn error reporting off from your site's Global Configuration.

This is a template issue. Which part do you want to make bigger?

3. I am not sure what is this. It could be a module title or the menu item's title.

4. I think you should address this issue to RT.

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---