Keyword

Control Display of Items Listing on Category Page

• Brian Huether
  • Brian Huether's Avatar Topic Author
More
9 years 5 months ago - 9 years 5 months ago #134096 by Brian Huether
Hi, I am getting close to organizing my site how I want. Right now one of the issues is to display the items in a category in a more orderly manner. For instance. I have a Working Group Category and it has subcategories. There is also news associated with working groups, and documents. On the working group categories page, it has a listing of the groups, and then under that things get a little messy. It lists associated items - documents and news - but with no headings and separators. What I need is something like

Working Groups Main Page

Listing of Groups

Latest News for all groups

Document categories

In other words, I need the Items to appear as discrete blocks of content on the main Working Groups page.

Any ideas? Maybe I need to turn off item display in categories and accomplish with modules?

Thanks!

Or, if it is easier, I can not use the category page to accomplish above, but rather have a working group item and handle the custom display by inserting everything somehow into the article? Really confused as to how best achieve what I am describing above...
Last edit: 9 years 5 months ago by Brian Huether.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Krikor Boghossian
  • Platinum Member
More
9 years 5 months ago #134103 by Krikor Boghossian
Replied by Krikor Boghossian on topic Control Display of Items Listing on Category Page
You have two options.

1) Use K2 Content modules to display these items or
2) Use the latest items from categories layout and display a certain amount of items from these specified categories.

If the amount of items is pretty much fixed and rather small eg no more than 10 per subcategory I would go with the latter solution.

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---
Please search the forum before posting a new topic :)

• Brian Huether
More
9 years 5 months ago #134108 by Brian Huether
Replied by Brian Huether on topic Control Display of Items Listing on Category Page
Hi, thanks for the tip. I think modules will probably be the way to go. Do you know if there is a way to use the modules dynamically, to create virtual modules without having to actually create modules? So there would be calls like

{loadcontent id1=1|id2=2...}

thanks!

• Krikor Boghossian
  • Platinum Member
More
9 years 5 months ago #134125 by Krikor Boghossian
Replied by Krikor Boghossian on topic Control Display of Items Listing on Category Page
The {loadmodule} method can be used (core Joomla! method, you might need to google it) but you still need to create actual modules.

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---

• Brian Huether
More
9 years 4 months ago #134274 by Brian Huether
Replied by Brian Huether on topic Control Display of Items Listing on Category Page
Hi, in general, for the sort of customized display I am looking to do, what is better: modules or plugins?

thanks! Brian

• Krikor Boghossian
  • Platinum Member
More
9 years 4 months ago #134326 by Krikor Boghossian
I would say plugins.
It is more extendable that way.

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---