Keyword

[SOLVED] Cannot remove social buttons

More
9 years 4 months ago #134347 by Andy
Cannot remove social buttons was created by Andy
Hello,

I created a new category, and in the item view options I have hidden the 'Social buttons' like ShareThis, AddThis etc.

Then in the item itself I inherit all properties from the category.

However, these social buttons still remain visible. Pretty much all other elements (including the separate Twitter, Facebook & Goggle+ social share buttons) show or not depending on what I choose. But the aforementioned buttons don't seem to respond to Show/Hide settings.

Any ideas as to what I'm doing wrong?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 4 months ago #134367 by Lefteris
Replied by Lefteris on topic Cannot remove social buttons
Hi. Ensure that the item category is not inheriting it's parameters from an other category. Also ensure that this is not a template issue by appending "?template=system" to the item page URL.

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---
Please search the forum before posting a new topic :)

More
9 years 4 months ago #134378 by Andy
Replied by Andy on topic Cannot remove social buttons
Thanks for the reply. I'm afraid that's not the case regarding both things.

I've just created a new category from scratch and a new item too, but the same is happening there too.

Is there any code I could try to comment out? I'm not planning to use these social buttons for any category.

• Krikor Boghossian
  • Platinum Member
More
9 years 4 months ago #134389 by Krikor Boghossian
Replied by Krikor Boghossian on topic Cannot remove social buttons
You need to verify that this code is not hardcoded in your item.php file.

This post will help you locate the file you need to edit.
getk2.org/documentation/tutorials/174-templating-with-k2-and-the-concepts-of-sub-templates

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---

More
9 years 4 months ago #134410 by Andy
Thanks Krikor. I've copied the /components/com_k2/templates/ folder, and put it in /templates/myowntemplate/html/com_k2/

Obviously editing that item.php file produces some changes but any clues as to what piece of code I could comment out for these social buttons? Anything that looks like the obvious piece of code to me doesn't change anything a single bit, but as soon as I get too liberal with the editing it produces a blank view (I've only edited too much to see if my edits were having any effect, and the answer is yes, so it looks like I'm in the right file (/templates/myowntemplate/html/com_k2/default/item.php), but even commenting out any instances of code with the words "itemSocialButton" or "socialButtonCode" is not enough to produce any changes.

It's driving me insane. :)

More
9 years 4 months ago #134411 by Andy
I also tried to hide all the options of the item view from the category settings. That gives me an empty page as expected, but then gradually adding an element one by one, all seems fine until I get to show "intro text" or "full text", any of those two introduces the social buttons along whatever text is there.

More
9 years 4 months ago #134422 by Lefteris
Replied by Lefteris on topic Cannot remove social buttons
Then maybe those buttons are added by a plugin and not K2. Is there a link to the page?

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---

More
9 years 4 months ago #134472 by Andy
You are right, Lefteris. As it turns out, it's the Content - ITPShare plugin that I have it to use with SobiPro. I'll see if the people at ITPShare know a way to stop showing on K2. My site is still offline and in the making, but it's definitely that causing the problem.

If you have any ideas to prevent that plugin working with K2, they are welcome in the meantime :) But otherwise I'll try them.

Thanks

More
9 years 4 months ago #134473 by Andy
Okay, I managed to solve my problem, and just in case someone comes across the same one, here's how. From the ITPShare Plugin, I switched off the display button for all share services one by one.

Luckily, SobiPro works with the ITPShare module, and there (the module, not the plugin) I can leave on the ones I really want to work with SobiPro.

Thanks for the help.

• Krikor Boghossian
  • Platinum Member
More
9 years 4 months ago #134484 by Krikor Boghossian
Replied by Krikor Boghossian on topic Cannot remove social buttons
Thank you Andy for letting us know the solution :)

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---