Keyword

How can I order my articles by date created and not by ID?

• X-Bumble
  • X-Bumble's Avatar Topic Author
More
9 years 4 months ago #134394 by X-Bumble
Hi guys,

Hope someone can please help me. I have inherited a website that needs some work doing and I cannot find where K2 controls what I need.

The client has a K2 category called news. At the moment it is displaying all of the news by ID descending. I have gone into the main menu and then into the NEWS link. I changed the display settings just to make sure I was on the correct page and it worked fine.

Under the basic settings, there is a option called 'Layout options for single category selection' and there is a drop-down box for me to choose the ordering process. However, this is greyed out and the default text in the box says 'inherit from category'

I have gone into the category page for NEWS which some other developer set up, but I cannot see anywhere that allows me to display the content via creation date and not ID.

Can anyone shed some light on this for me.

Many thanks in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 4 months ago #134416 by Lefteris
Hi. When a single category is used in the menu link, then the options that are in effect can be found at the category edit page. There you can set the ordering.

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---
Please search the forum before posting a new topic :)

• X-Bumble
More
9 years 4 months ago - 9 years 4 months ago #134598 by X-Bumble
Hi there,

Many thanks for your reply.

I went to the K2 category page and clicked into the News category that has been set up. I can see the 'Category item layout' options on the right hand side, but there is no option for me to choose the news to be displayed by date and not ID?

Can you please let me know where this setting is? - the only thing that mentions ordering is under the 'Sub-category handling' section, and this has no effect if I make a change to this (which I wouldn't expect anyway as this is not what I want).
Last edit: 9 years 4 months ago by X-Bumble.

• Krikor Boghossian
  • Platinum Member
More
9 years 4 months ago #134603 by Krikor Boghossian
Replied by Krikor Boghossian on topic How can I order my articles by date created and not by ID?
The setting is called "Item ordering" and it is located in the Category item layout panel.

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---

• X-Bumble
More
9 years 4 months ago #134749 by X-Bumble
Hi there again,

Many thanks for your reply. The only option for ordering that I can see in the 'Category item layout' column is under the sub-head pf 'Other layout options'

I have set the drop down to 'Most recent first (by date published' but nothing changes n the site. I have played around and selected all of these options , but each time the news just stays as it is.

Just to be clear, I have of course refreshed the browser cache etc.

Can you please let me know if you have any ideas?

You can see a screen shot of the settings here:

Thanks in advance :)

• Krikor Boghossian
  • Platinum Member
More
9 years 4 months ago #134758 by Krikor Boghossian
Replied by Krikor Boghossian on topic How can I order my articles by date created and not by ID?
If your menu item is pointing towards multiple categories, then you need to edit the same setting in the menu item.

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---

• X-Bumble
More
9 years 4 months ago #134910 by X-Bumble
Hi there,

Many thanks again for your reply.

The site only uses one category for the news as defined in the K2 category manager, so this is not relevant in this case.

I went to the main menu anyway and then selected the menu-item called 'News' which is the correct link.

Once in there, I can see the right hand panel, and in there is an option called 'Item ordering'. Problem is that this option is greyed out so I cannot alter it.

I would be really grateful if you guys could please give me an answer to this problem as I seem to be going around in circles.

Cheers!

• Krikor Boghossian
  • Platinum Member
More
9 years 4 months ago #134927 by Krikor Boghossian
Is there a link I can see?
Also can you disable Joomla!'s cache entirely.

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---

• X-Bumble
More
9 years 4 months ago - 9 years 4 months ago #135047 by X-Bumble
Thanks again for the reply. I can't get you a link into the back-end I'm afraid, but I have created this screen shot to show you the greyed out option. This is via the menu--> main menu --> News.

Can you suggest a way forward based on this as it seems I have come to a dead-end, but need to help my client.

Many thanks in advance for your help.
Last edit: 9 years 4 months ago by X-Bumble.

• Krikor Boghossian
  • Platinum Member
More
9 years 4 months ago #135076 by Krikor Boghossian
That setting is for the single category.
Scroll down bellow the Featured items to see the option for the multiple categories :)

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---