Keyword

[SOLVED] K2 images renamed, keep original file-name

• problemlöser
  • problemlöser's Avatar Topic Author
More
9 years 4 months ago #134562 by problemlöser
K2 images renamed, keep original file-name was created by problemlöser
I'm looking for the K2-system-files that rename and re-store the images used in the Image Tab. As Lefteris said in this posts 127905 and 128256
"the file names are generated this way"... and there's nothing you can do about it.
I'm completely unsatisfied with this answer; from an SEO-point of view having the images renamed in this way is absolutely counterproductive. I think it should be possible to keep the original filenames when storing the images in the "media/k2..cache"-folder, so i'm looking for a hint on where to find those function/s that copy and rename the images.

Thank you for any help,
Martin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 4 months ago #134572 by JoomlaWorks
Replied by JoomlaWorks on topic K2 images renamed, keep original file-name
We have covered this a million times already. The image filename is not causing any problems in your site's SEO. Joomla is blocking the /media folder by default in robots.txt. Moreover, the K2 image html code is using alt/title attributes which is far better than naming your actual image file.

Fotis / JoomlaWorks Support Team
---
Please search the forum before posting a new topic :)

• problemlöser
More
9 years 4 months ago #134586 by problemlöser
Replied by problemlöser on topic K2 images renamed, keep original file-name
Thank you for your answer.
I think you know that it is simply not true that one can give a title to images using the Image Tab, only a ALT-attribute can be used, so I'm astonished about this answer. In fact I don't have 3 options to give SEO-relevant stuff to an image (ALT, title, filename), but only one. So the component reduces the possibilities to make SEO the way the user wants! This is something i can't accept and no SEO orientated user can.
And sorry, but I was not asking for somebody’s personal opinion about what is good or better referring to SEO, or are you working on the Google-algorithms as well?

I know the component is for free; I don't have the right to complain about something somebody else is working on for many hours and that is given away for free and I won't do so. I just asked for a capable statement about whether it is possible and what files to change to stop this needless renaming of the images when using the Image Tab. But what I get is an answer that sounds like a stupid excuse for a not well-thought-out functionality.

Obviously not only in my opinion the renaming of the image makes absolutely no sense. And if this was covered "a million times", why did you never listen to the people and turn off this function? I don't understand...

But anyway, I don't want to complain! You built a component a lot of users like and use. I don't, but that's not your problem.
Perhaps some other user is able to help me to make the changes to the code I asked for.

More
9 years 1 week ago #142259 by paddock
Replied by paddock on topic K2 images renamed, keep original file-name
well said
it's a common problem, why they don't fix it?
did you find a way to solve it?

• Krikor Boghossian
  • Platinum Member
More
9 years 1 week ago #142286 by Krikor Boghossian
Replied by Krikor Boghossian on topic K2 images renamed, keep original file-name
You can work with extrafields as images if you want to keep the original filename.

There are several examples of it in this forum.

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---
Please search the forum before posting a new topic :)

More
9 years 1 week ago #142287 by paddock
What I'm interested in is than when people click on the image to save it as a image, it apeares the real name and not the numbers id.
IS it posible?

• problemlöser
More
9 years 1 week ago #142288 by problemlöser
Replied by problemlöser on topic K2 images renamed, keep original file-name
@paddock
sorry, no, I didn't find a way to stop the renaming of the images, I didn't search for it very long, we are simply not using the image Tab on that website.
And a second no; it will definitely not be able to store an image with right-click "save as" under the name of the uploaded image, the "save as" dialog will always use the actual name of the image, in this case the numbers id

More
9 years 1 week ago #142290 by paddock
Thank you for your interest. It's a pity thay they don't solve this issue because is what seo managers demand.