Keyword

K2 Random Order Pagination

• Thaddeus James
  • Thaddeus James's Avatar Topic Author
More
7 years 7 months ago #157358 by Thaddeus James
K2 Random Order Pagination was created by Thaddeus James
Hi there,
I have a client with 50 items in a Category and they want the items to load in a random order so that users will see different items each time they come to the page. They also only want to show 10 per page to keep page load times down and not overwhelm the user. However, when I set the K2 Category to show as random, each time the user clicks the Page 2 Button, it reloads all the projects in random order. In essence Random Order is just a big Shuffle, which means the user may never see all the items, and they will definitely see many of the items multiple times.

Every thing I have read on these forums say there is no solution for this problem. However, I would think many people would want this functionality. I was hoping that someone may have an update on this for me, or know of an extension that would help sort this.

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Krikor Boghossian
  • Platinum Member
More
7 years 7 months ago - 7 years 7 months ago #157386 by Krikor Boghossian
Replied by Krikor Boghossian on topic K2 Random Order Pagination
Hello,

This seems like a valid enhancement request.
I am reporting this in the extension's repo so we can get some feed back as well.

You can monitor here: github.com/getk2/k2/issues/356

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---
Please search the forum before posting a new topic :)
Last edit: 7 years 7 months ago by Krikor Boghossian.

• Thaddeus James
  • Thaddeus James's Avatar Topic Author
More
7 years 7 months ago #158108 by Thaddeus James
Replied by Thaddeus James on topic K2 Random Order Pagination
Hi there,
I saw on github where the developer said he was not interested in addressing this issue. Would you possibly have any other ideas on achieving my goals. I think it would be very handy for a lot of users to be able to randomly sort items in a category without them repeating over and over as you used the pagination to browse the category. Is there a way to specify that the random shuffle only happens on the main project page, then an array is set for the order, and the pagination uses that order unless they go back to the main page again, when the projects would be re-shuffled?

Thanks!

• Krikor Boghossian
  • Platinum Member
More
7 years 6 months ago #158116 by Krikor Boghossian
Replied by Krikor Boghossian on topic K2 Random Order Pagination
Unfortunately this is how SQL queries work.
This is not an actual issue, this is how random work.

I saw the reply from Lefteris and I have to say I agree with him. A JS solution would be ideal.

Is there a way to specify that the random shuffle only happens on the main project page, then an array is set for the order, and the pagination uses that order unless they go back to the main page again, when the projects would be re-shuffled?

If the pagination, is done on a different view, eg: a view more button then you can redirect the user to a different menu item with different settings.

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---
Please search the forum before posting a new topic :)