Keyword

Open Graph support for Facebook Image choice

• Al[bert] L[ouis] Rossi
  • Al[bert] L[ouis] Rossi's Avatar Topic Author
More
7 years 2 months ago #160091 by Al[bert] L[ouis] Rossi
Open Graph support for Facebook Image choice was created by Al[bert] L[ouis] Rossi
I have discovered something which looks like an incompatibility in the way my K2 site is set up, and was wondering if you could recommend a solution.

In order to get SEF URLs to come out correctly, I have followed the suggestion of creating an (invisible) menu for each of the K2 item categories.

It would appear that the menus use Open Graph. I see this in two ways. First, in the browser console, the og namespace shows up in the <header> meta tags. Second, the metadata description I have given to each of these menus overrides the metadata description for the article/item itself (added through JCE). I see this whenever the article or item is linked to Facebook. This is obviously not what we want.

In addition, there seems to be a problem on Facebook wrt choosing an image from the article. Sometimes it seems to get confused and cannot pick anything, even though there is always at least one image in the articles I have been linking.

It is my understanding that Open Graph overrides any other metadata providers that may be enabled. Is there some what to get the K2 items to play correctly with the Open Graph settings, and more particularly, to get them to be accepted by Facebook so that the correct description appears, and an image is chosen? Can Open Graph be added, for instance, to the individual K2 item metadata settings using a special plugin?

Note: linking to Google+ does not present this problem. From the little I understand about this, it would seem Facebook is somehow coupled to Open Graph – see the following:

stackoverflow.com/questions/6693499/how-can-i-set-a-website-image-that-will-show-as-preview-on-facebook

Thank you for your help,

Al

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Al[bert] L[ouis] Rossi
More
7 years 2 months ago #160095 by Al[bert] L[ouis] Rossi
Replied by Al[bert] L[ouis] Rossi on topic Open Graph support for Facebook Image choice
I have done some searching for extensions. There are a number of Open Graph integration plugins I see, some more expensive than others. I tried a cheap one and discovered it did not play with the optimizations I am exercising (like CSS/js compression), turning the entire item page blank.

So I guess my question now is: which plugins, if any, can you recommend?

Thanks again,

Al

• Krikor Boghossian
  • Platinum Member
More
7 years 2 months ago #160106 by Krikor Boghossian
Replied by Krikor Boghossian on topic Open Graph support for Facebook Image choice
Hello,

By default the necessary OG tags are being printed.
Make sure that you are using the correct image size for K2's image. This setting is located in K2's settings. The image should be at least 200x200px.

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---
Please search the forum before posting a new topic :)

• Al[bert] L[ouis] Rossi
More
7 years 2 months ago #160108 by Al[bert] L[ouis] Rossi
Replied by Al[bert] L[ouis] Rossi on topic Open Graph support for Facebook Image choice
Hi,

thanks for the suggestion, but this does not seem to be the problem.

There were two images, for instance, in the last item I posted. One was 1472 x 451 and the other 625 x 472.

Facebook found neither of them.

Al

• Al[bert] L[ouis] Rossi
More
7 years 2 months ago #160110 by Al[bert] L[ouis] Rossi
Do you mean that I have to add the image to the item rather than embed it inside the item?