Keyword

What Happened to K2 3.0?

More
8 years 1 month ago #151149 by Zdenek
Replied by Zdenek on topic What Happened to K2 3.0?
I've just tested K2 2.6.9 on j3.5beta and it looks great. As long as K2 2.6.9 will work great on latest Joomla version, I don't mind to wait for K2v3.
The topic has been locked.
More
8 years 1 month ago #151150 by Joe Campbell
Replied by Joe Campbell on topic What Happened to K2 3.0?
@Zdenek +1
More
8 years 1 month ago #151156 by Jan
Replied by Jan on topic What Happened to K2 3.0?
Me also do not mind waiting for the new version if it works. But the uncertainty is terrible. For older projects, it probably does not matter. But for new projects?

I watch what is happening around K2. I think that K2 is a dead project. Unfortunately...

If ever will new the version, I can not imagine that it will be commercial extensions. Trust is hard to build and easy to lose...
More
8 years 1 month ago #151157 by Joe Campbell
@Jan I agree with you about trust being hard to build and easy to lose

But we have to remember that K2 is not just an extension - it's a COMMUNITY

Saying such, we have to stick together and help one and other.

For starts, I would like to know what features do you require that's in v3 that's not in v2.6?
More
8 years 1 month ago #151158 by Jan
Replied by Jan on topic What Happened to K2 3.0?
@Joe Campbell
I agree with you. Community and excellent quality extension K2 gives hope. K2 has been and still partly is timeless extension. Is a pity that is not part of the core Joomla :(

Main mistake JoomlaWorks I see in uncertainty for community.
More
8 years 1 month ago #151159 by Joe Campbell
@Jan - Let me know if there's anything I can do to assist you - us K2ers have to look out for one and other :-)

So far, I have posted a number of K2 Power Tips and plan on contribution more:
www.joomlaworks.net/forum/search?query=K2%20Power%20Tip&childforums=1
More
8 years 1 month ago #151160 by Zdenek
Replied by Zdenek on topic What Happened to K2 3.0?
Sad is when you look at GitHub of k2-v3-dev-build and see latest commit 26 days ago. That just looks that K2 3 is just not a priority of Joomlaworks.
More
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #151161 by Joe Campbell
That is one way of looking at it - but another way is to consider the AWESOME forum support JoomlaWorks (special thanks to @Krikor and @Lefteris) has provided over the years.

So it's kind of like a parent who purchased an awesome top of the line sports car for you and took care of all of the maintenance as well - but for the past year or so that same parent promised you a new sports car - BUT - has yet to actually delivered on their promise of the new car.

Do you get mad at the broken promise and the lack of communications over when they will receive a new car - OR - should you remain patient and grateful for the car they provided - which by the way is still a hot car :-)

Last edit: 8 years 1 month ago by Joe Campbell.
More
8 years 1 month ago #151163 by Scott Lavelle
Replied by Scott Lavelle on topic What Happened to K2 3.0?
So - part of the issue is that there are other extensions out there that do some of the same things. When I look at K2 iteself, I ask what I'm really doing with it, which is usually using it as a Blog component, which others do fine - even Joomla Category Blog format works if you don't need comments and author blocks, but there are ways to deal with that as well.

When I want to do more, such as include Extra Fields, I can do that as well.

When I look at the "built in" gallery, in K2 I actually find it rather cumbersome to have to zip up pictures to include them and then have to do wierd FTP things or delete all pics to replace them. Not so bad for me, but for other staff members on my team who are less technical, or certainly my users, it's really hard for them. And captions on images with the built in system are also weird. Same goes for the video inclusions.

So - what does K2 REALLY bring for most folks who are putting it on new sites? The only thing that I've had to go back to K2 for lately is the module for displaying "latest" item on home page including the author block. Getting Zoo to do this is pretty impossible and there is no non-paid support for the product, and I think YooTheme is too expensive for Zoo, personally for the fact that I don't need any of their applications (like recipe, directory, etc).

Regarding "responsive": I haven't had the opportunity to test this since I've not really been using K2 since I moved to Joomla 3.x except for a site that doesn't have extra fields, so no real need to worry about responsive display of multi-column and also doesn't do multiple columns on the blog display page, so I don't really know what it would even do. However, having dealt with the template files before and looking at what is on the 2.5 site I currently use K2 on actively, I can see that there is no bootstrap incorporated, no responsive stuff natively, so I'd have to modify the display pretty heavily, which is not really something I want to have to spend my time on "recreating the wheel".

Mixed feelings, but especially unhappy with the lack of response from JoomlaWorks, especially with the lateness of the release for which there just doesn't seem any concern. I am especially confused by people who want to purchase a Pro support plan for this when it's been made abundantly clear that support for K2 is not a priority at this time.
More
8 years 1 month ago #151260 by piet
Replied by piet on topic What Happened to K2 3.0?
Yes it is really strange behavior... nothing in one month.. and of course no communication at all...!