Keyword

What Happened to K2 3.0?

More
7 years 6 months ago #158004 by Scott Lavelle
Replied by Scott Lavelle on topic What Happened to K2 3.0?
Steven, You and I are a few of those who seem to care that this post is continually brought to the forefront. I hear some say things like "nagging the devs will not help" and others just blindly supporting the project, but here were go again - month after month of NO updates at all.

I might even understand if there were a bunch of new features being added all the time and being unable to release the final product because there was just "too much cool stuff", but these are the same long0pstanding issues that have been out here for quite some time. Every so often we get a boost of energy, either through a year-end announcement, the Joomla Day celebration in Brazil, or the new spring announcement this year, etc.

And then we are let down for months with no release and none in sight.

On one hand I just shouldn't care, as I have long since been using Zoo for my main K2 purpose, which was a Blog - or even resorting to a simple Joomla Article Blog layout with something like Komento and a lightly modified Joomla article emplate, incorporating a simple "author" block of some sort in a module (I haven't actually done the author part of this, though I can't imagine it to be too difficult - and it would really only need to be done once to replicate out to other templates).

Anyway - there are things I liked about K2 and things that still are good - like better modules than what ZOO offers out of the box and an implementation that llows for the use of Read More rather than a separate text area, etc. But really, the end result is SO similar between the two, it comes down to plugins and such tha make K2 "better",

It seems that the K2 team would want to capitalize on the few things that actually still separate them from the competition before being declared dead by the community, weather actually dead or not.

Come on development team - at least participate in the conversation!
The topic has been locked.
More
7 years 6 months ago #158193 by shoulders
Replied by shoulders on topic What Happened to K2 3.0?
in fairness, the developers have released 2.7.0 and 2.7.1 recently. I am just waiting on the UI to get updated/fixed before I upgrade.
More
7 years 6 months ago #158196 by Petar Elez
Replied by Petar Elez on topic What Happened to K2 3.0?
True.
  • Steven Trooster
  • Premium Member
More
7 years 6 months ago #158197 by Steven Trooster
Replied by Steven Trooster on topic What Happened to K2 3.0?
Though there were some updates, these were only admin interface changes. The really much anticipated version 3, which I've tested, is far from production ready, and doesn't have the much needed feature improvements. Judging from the activity on GitHub (and the participation of the developers in this discussion), I don't think there will be a 3.0 version any time soon.

I've looking into alternatives. Seblod I couldn't get installed. A lot of install sql-errors. Zoo, out of the box seems really complex to set up.
I've found EasyBlog a really fantastic option, which I'm investigating into detail. It has a K2 migration tool and lots of features that are either missing or only available with (commercial) third party plugins for K2. And very good support.
More
7 years 5 months ago #158345 by Scott Lavelle
Replied by Scott Lavelle on topic What Happened to K2 3.0?
Steven - if you want to take it offline from here to discuss how to get a Blog up quickly with Zoo, I could have that chat - just don't want to use the K2 forum for such a conversation. I can tell you that I can get a Blog with an author block and comments up on a site in <30 minutes with Zoo. Of course, there might be some template work to do with it, but that would go for any component.

Let me know if you are interested in a chat sometime.
More
7 years 5 months ago #158613 by Vahid
Replied by Vahid on topic What Happened to K2 3.0?
Hi, thank you for keep this project live and release 2.7.x versions. is there any new news of k2 v3?! after release post of k2 2.7.0 you say:

K2 v3 development has re-ignited and is on a steady track for a realistic release date by late April 2016

and now is october. is it a new long late? or we hear new good news soon?
More
7 years 5 months ago #158614 by Luciano
Replied by Luciano on topic What Happened to K2 3.0?
I suspect that every time someone asks "when the 3.x will be released?" the development team adds 6+ months of delay, only because this question.
More
7 years 3 months ago #159873 by Justin
Replied by Justin on topic What Happened to K2 3.0?
Any news on v3.0?
  • Steven Trooster
  • Premium Member
More
7 years 3 months ago - 7 years 3 months ago #159874 by Steven Trooster
Replied by Steven Trooster on topic What Happened to K2 3.0?
There has been no progress on Github since oktober. Apparently the amount of developers has gone down to a minimum. I did try to get in touch with JoomlaWorks support, to offer some assistance, but for more than three weeks I didn't receive any response.
Maybe some guys should step up and fork K2?
Last edit: 7 years 3 months ago by Steven Trooster.
More
7 years 2 months ago #159935 by Rabi
Replied by Rabi on topic What Happened to K2 3.0?