IMPORTANT MESSAGE REGARDING THE FORUM

As you may already know, the JoomlaWorks Forum is powered by Kunena (the only decent forum component for Joomla).

Unfortunately, the latest update for Kunena has seemingly broken all code snippets (old and new) in the forum.

Until this message is removed, please paste any code as regular text - in other words, don't use the [code]...[/code] tags in Kunena's post editor.

Keyword

K2 and Joomla 4

• Stuart
  • Stuart's Avatar Topic Author
More
2 months 3 weeks ago #179353 by Stuart
K2 and Joomla 4 was created by Stuart
Is there any news about whether K2 will be compatible with Joomla 4 when it is released later in August? The backbone of most of my content is K2, so I need to plan my workflow if K2 is not compatible. Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 months 3 weeks ago #179357 by Fotis
Replied by Fotis on topic K2 and Joomla 4
K2 supports from Joomla 1.5 all the way up to J3.x. What do you think?

And for the record, Joomla 4 may be *released* but from what I know, it's not exactly "stable" quality. So if I were you, I wouldn't rush on any projects with it...

As for K2, we have the same DB schema on all Joomla versions for a practical reason. The same will be with J4. Of course, K2 for J4 won't be available for a few more months to come as J4 is ironed out in "production".

IMPORTANT: Please search the forum before posting a question!

JoomlaWorks Support Team Member

More
2 months 1 week ago #179371 by Tưởng Lâm
Replied by Tưởng Lâm on topic K2 and Joomla 4
Hopefully the K2 team will debut soon. Thanks

Bảo Hộ Lao Động Tốt nhà cung cấp đồ bảo hộ, gạch bê tông nhẹ, tấm bê tông nhẹ, máy tạo bọt bê tông nhẹ, chất tạo bọt bê tông nhẹ uy tín. www.baoholaodongtot.com

More
2 months 4 days ago #179384 by Red Evolution
Replied by Red Evolution on topic K2 and Joomla 4
Not sure if you are on the case or not just now Fotis but just wanted to include my findings from a test J4 update. Tried it on a dev site in a local build environment and got prior warning that two of the K2 plugins would cause issues. I ran the update as a test and it did indeed fail as was warned. I've attached the screenshot showing the details it gave me. I was using the latest dev release of K2 for that test. Look forward to seeing and testing out the next release.

Dave
Attachments:

• Electronic Beatz Network
  • Florian Martin / Toxin
More
2 months 15 hours ago - 2 months 15 hours ago #179393 by Electronic Beatz Network
Replied by Electronic Beatz Network on topic K2 and Joomla 4
Same question here. It is very important for most of my projects to know when K2 will be released for Joomla 4.
Last edit: 2 months 15 hours ago by Electronic Beatz Network.

More
2 months 6 hours ago #179394 by mjmartino
Replied by mjmartino on topic K2 and Joomla 4

Same question here. It is very important for most of my projects to know when K2 will be released for Joomla 4.

Fotis say "a few more months" = end of year or later.

For example, I'm waiting for new version 2.10.X about year ;) Which was supposed to make counting visits to the article despite the cache turned on.

I like k2 for many good solution, but no new feature is added a long time.
Second thing, templates for k2 practically do not exist.

If k2 is not ready for J4 I don't be waiting. But this is only my opinion.

• Electronic Beatz Network
  • Florian Martin / Toxin
More
1 month 4 weeks ago #179397 by Electronic Beatz Network
Replied by Electronic Beatz Network on topic K2 and Joomla 4
That's really bad.

But after a few days testing J4 I'm happy with the workflows and I'll be change from K2 to native Joomla-content, tags and cutomfields (which support sql-querries, etc...).

More
1 month 3 weeks ago #179432 by zamarza1
Replied by zamarza1 on topic K2 and Joomla 4
Hello Fotis,

I am sure your should be very busy. I hope you will reply to my request.

K2 is a great component. Four our small company (4 people) we are using it in our 2 websites for years. We are totally satisfied. In one website, we have more than 2000 articles.

K2 is the backbone of our two websites. Our company totally depends on them. They are vital for us.

I guess that we are not alone on that case. A lot of people trust K2.

We are starting to prepare the migration from Joomla 3.10 to Joomla 4 for the beginning of 2022. We use some extensions totally depending from K2. For example we use a template from Gavick using K2. We use a lot the extensions from RAXO.

Yesterday, I contacted RAXO to ask them if they plan to update some of their extensions using K2. The support replied to me that having no plan from you, they do not know yet.

For as owner of a small company, it is not a good reply because I have to plan everything a year in advance.
Right now, I am wondering what I should do: keeping K2 or start to think to move to Joomla articles.
I am not a geek guy. Moving from K2 to Joomla articles could be a nightmare. And I will need to hire someone. It can cause side effect problems.

I know K2 is free and it takes a lot of time to maintain and to upgrade. Why don't you charge for it? For me it will be normal. Everyone needs to be paid for his work.

So my request. Please would tell me if you plan to update K2 to Joomla 4 and do you have a schedule?
For a small company like mine, it is a very important fact to know because we totally depend on you.

I will appreciate your answer.
All my best,
Amar Guillen

More
1 month 3 weeks ago #179433 by Fotis
Replied by Fotis on topic K2 and Joomla 4
K2 may be free software, but it's a crucial tool for our own projects as well. So yes, it will be upgraded to support J4 and the plan is to do so by the end of October 2021.

Within September I'll be issuing v2.11 to finalize all the changes added since v2.10.3 and then it's v4.0 which will support Joomla 4. There are some challenges to overcome since J4 has moved the main navigation on the side while all older Joomla releases essentially have it at the top. So this requires some UI changes as well.

@Electronic Beatz Network Good luck with the performance of all that ;) We've measured that and I can safely say it's worsened the Joomla article system's performance from J3.x. So much for progress...

IMPORTANT: Please search the forum before posting a question!

JoomlaWorks Support Team Member

More
1 month 3 weeks ago #179463 by zamarza1
Replied by zamarza1 on topic K2 and Joomla 4
Hello Fotis,

thank you for your quick reply. I appreciate it.

Thank you so much for your answer. That is a great news for me and maybe for a lot of users around the world.

I am so glad to read your lines. I am not a technical guy like you certainly are. But if there is anything I can do to help you, let me know. I will do my best.

I am going to contact RAXO to let them know your position.

Thanks for all
All my best.
Amar Guillen