Keyword

K2 and Joomla 4

More
1 year 1 week ago #179716 by Michael
Replied by Michael on topic K2 and Joomla 4
I cannot give it a break because I need to know how to proceed with my joomla projects. And all I want is some information from the developers. In case they say it's not coming anytime soon or at all I will have to handle really big websites without K2 and that will cost me a lot of time. So 2 years of Joomla 3 support can get really short...
The topic has been locked.
More
1 year 1 week ago #179721 by Johan Badenhorst
Replied by Johan Badenhorst on topic K2 and Joomla 4
Thank you for this information. When was the release date, if it was delayed for a month? I am more than willing to take a break if a know the release will be early in January 2022!
  • Stuart
  • Stuart's Avatar Topic Author
More
1 year 6 days ago #179725 by Stuart
Replied by Stuart on topic K2 and Joomla 4
I actually started this topic almost exactly 4 months ago, so came back to see if any progress had been made.

As disappointed as I am that none appears to have been made, I can also see the difficulties in developing K2 for J4, especially the backend. For the first time (I think) Joomla admin has changed layout - since the main admin menu and tools are now on the left, this means a major overhaul of the K2 admin layout, in order to move the K2 menu items elsewhere (to the top somewhere?). I imagine this is what is causing release date issues.

Coincidentally, I should add that other Joomla extensions that have traditionally relied on their own menu being on the left in their administration backend are also experiencing delays in releasing a J4 version (nearly all the eCommerce extensions have had a left admin panel, for example). 

In the meantime J4 has become stable enough to use for production sites and new clients expect me to use J4 instead of J3. Obviously I have had to start using a different CCK now, but nevertheless would go back to using K2 when it is released and stable. Although K2 is free, I have invested too much in K2-related extensions to just drop K2 completely!
More
11 months 3 weeks ago - 11 months 3 weeks ago #179733 by JoomlaWorks
Replied by JoomlaWorks on topic K2 and Joomla 4
To all...

I'll repeat again.

K2 will be available for Joomla 4 IN THE COMING MONTHS. If it's not Jan 2022, it may be Feb 2022. But we'll get there. We're sane people and have no intention on switching to WordPress (for fuck's sake) DESPITE the large community temptation that WP has...

If you understand/value what K2 brings to website development with Joomla, you also know that going for Joomla 4 is risky either way. And you know that even if you're on Joomla 1.5 WITH K2, it's 100 times easier to switch to Joomla 4 WITH K2 when it's available, cause UNLIKE the Joomla core team, we value backwards compatibility.

Joomla 4 took years to finalize. See what someone asked on the "coming Joomla 4 release" three (3) freaking years ago: www.joomlaworks.net/forum/k2-en/49588-will-k2-be-fully-compatible-with-joomla-4

So, yes, we've waited for Joomla 4 for so many years. I believe we can take a few months to adapt it for K2. It's not the end of the world.

The process would have been easier if the Joomla team did not (once again) stupidly rename various parts of the Joomla codebase for no practical reason and most importantly with NO backwards compatibility plan. How professional of them... Which is why converting any Joomla v3 extension to v4 is a tedious process, especially for a large extension like K2.

If you'd like to complain to anyone for this, I would recommend starting with the Joomla core team. And to this date, the documentation for Joomla 3 to 4 changes is non-complete, which makes things even harder for extensions developers.

In the meantime we're kicking out 2 more large-scale projects with K2 (thus the delays) and enjoying it as always cause UNLIKE others devs (even core ones), we heavily use our work in *PRODUCTION*, not fancy demo sites with zero commercial value.

Fotis / JoomlaWorks Support Team
---
Please search the forum before posting a new topic :)
Last edit: 11 months 3 weeks ago by JoomlaWorks.
More
11 months 3 weeks ago #179734 by PJones
Replied by PJones on topic K2 and Joomla 4
Many thanks for the update Fotis!
More
11 months 3 weeks ago - 11 months 3 weeks ago #179736 by Anibal Sanchez
Replied by Anibal Sanchez on topic K2 and Joomla 4
Many thanks for the update.

I understand the challenge to migrate extensions to Joomla 4, updating the codebase, and keeping an eye on the future Joomla 5. 

To spice the conversation, your tweet is pretty clear: Invalid consumer key/secret in configuration

File Attachment:

Best Regards
Last edit: 11 months 3 weeks ago by Anibal Sanchez.
More
11 months 3 weeks ago #179737 by Red Evolution
Replied by Red Evolution on topic K2 and Joomla 4
Thanks for the update Fotis. I think I can safely say that none of us mind waiting for it, especially if it means that it's going to work properly, but it is nice to get updates from you guys occasionally just to say how things are progressing.

Dave
More
11 months 2 weeks ago #179755 by Johan Badenhorst
Replied by Johan Badenhorst on topic K2 and Joomla 4
Thank you so much for the update. As said previously, we do not mind waiting for a working product because we are used to the excellent K2-product! Hope you will keep us in the loop of your progress.
(and a big thank you that you are working on the Joomla 4 version!)
More
10 months 5 days ago - 10 months 5 days ago #179845 by blue_Shift
Replied by blue_Shift on topic K2 and Joomla 4
I might suggest the principal consider posting the comment above on the front page, or as a pinned blog post.

Also, I share his assessment of the burden Joomla has placed on its developer community, no doubt accelerating the abandonment of Joomla altogether by some notable, longtime developers and the obvious business decision of others to create versions of their components and templates for the ecosphere of the now overwhelmingly dominant borg platform. The opportunity cost in undertaking what feels to me like a technological vanity project at the expense of creating an intuitive, client-friendly environment has resulted in Joomla ceding second place to Shopify. And now they're talking about Joomla 5?!
Last edit: 10 months 5 days ago by blue_Shift. Reason: English is my second language. I don't have a first.
More
9 months 1 week ago #179879 by Etitek
Replied by Etitek on topic K2 and Joomla 4
Also waiting for the release. The only thing that is blocking me is K2, so I could move the pages to joomla 4. Where I don't have K2, joomla 4 works very well.