Keyword

K2 and Joomla 4

More
8 months 1 week ago - 8 months 1 week ago #179916 by zamarza1
Replied by zamarza1 on topic K2 and Joomla 4
Hi,

my main concern is not about when a new version of K2 will be available. I am sure that the team is going to provide a version for Joomla 4. I have trusted the developers for more than 10 years. I have never been disappointed. 

Joomla 3 is going to be maintained until August 2023. That is plenty of time. I can wait. 
The 4 websites for our company are just tools to sell. Using Joomla 3 or Joomla 4 does not matter to us. Joomla 3 works fine. There is no rush for us to move on.

The real question for me is the extensions. Our 4 websites are totally built on K2.  We do not have any Joomla article. We use extensions on top of K2 to organize and to display our pages:

- Raxo All-mode for K2 with two different templates.
- Raxo related items for K2.
- Raxo Insert Position.
- JsiteMap Pro.
- Route66.
- CComment for K2.

I am not sure that these companies will wait and do the changes to run with K2 in Joomla 4.
If not, it is going to be a nightmare for me. I guess if one of them does not update his version for K2 in Joomla 4, I should migrate K2 to Joomla Articles. And this is something I do not want to do.  We are professional photographers and our websites are just tools for us. Not a full-time job. This is why we chose to use a CMS like Joomla.

This is the main concern I have.

I wish a long life to K2 because this is a great component. The team has always been in advance.

Thanks to them.
A. Guillen
Last edit: 8 months 1 week ago by zamarza1.
The topic has been locked.
More
8 months 3 days ago #179944 by JoomlaWorks
Replied by JoomlaWorks on topic K2 and Joomla 4
@zamarza1 K2 will of course be updated for Joomla 4. And I understand your concerns, but at least for K2 you don't have to worry as it's a tool we use for our own work (and I don't mean for this site, but large news/media sites we build for others).

And really we're full of work at the moment, which makes upgrading K2 for Joomla 4 not our top priority at this moment. Not to mention that J4 is still "beta" quality and full of annoying UI/UX issues.

Fotis / JoomlaWorks Support Team
---
Please search the forum before posting a new topic :)
More
8 months 3 days ago #179946 by zamarza1
Replied by zamarza1 on topic K2 and Joomla 4
Hi Fotis,

thank you for having taken a little of your time to reply to my concerns. I appreciate the value of your comment.

Thanks for having kept me updated about the K2 migration.

I wish you all my best,
A. Guillen
More
8 months 2 days ago #179968 by Johan Badenhorst
Replied by Johan Badenhorst on topic K2 and Joomla 4
Dear Fotis,

Thank you so much for the update! We are patiently waiting because we value your excellent work and are looking forward to the upgrade for Joomla 4!
More
7 months 3 weeks ago #179990 by Jack Hughes
Replied by Jack Hughes on topic K2 and Joomla 4
Greetings Fotis. I have been a big fan of K2 for a very long time. I have the utmost respect for K2 and all the hard work you have put into it.

I have 49 Joomla websites waiting for K2 to be J4 compatible. So I did a double-take and reached for a bottle of antacids when you said "upgrading K2 for Joomla 4 not our top priority at this moment".

I understand that J4 is still a bit rough, but at this moment K2 is the ONLY thing keeping me from starting on somewhere between $250k and $450k worth of Joomla web work. I guarantee you that upgrading my 49 websites to K2 for J4 is a top priority for my company and we would gladly pay you for this to be completed.

We have trusted that your project would continue on and be updated to J4. There is an implicit responsibility to the users of K2 that this gets done. If your passion for a J4 version of K4 has diminished or deprioritized then we should have been told of this in Q4 of 2021.

I think it's completely reasonable for your userbase to expect a development timeline for K2 for J4. You can update it as things change but WE NEED TO PLAN. My owner, my coworkers, my freelancers, and my clients need a K2 development timeline and plan. PLEASE.
More
7 months 3 weeks ago #180004 by JoomlaWorks
Replied by JoomlaWorks on topic K2 and Joomla 4
When I say that J4 is not my top priority at the moment, it's because I'm actually busy building projects with K2 (unlike many other devs out there who only use their extensions on their own little sites) and also improving it at the same time. It's this high profile work that keeps the lights on.

I understand you have a business to run, but so do I. And there is no immediate reason to upgrade sites to J4, especially existing ones. Unless the plan is to charge folks to migrate them to J4 even though it's not really needed.

Cause what the hell does J4 bring over J3 for end users, huh? Workflows? The awkward new coat of paint and the bad admin UX which has doubled the clicks to get anywhere in the backend? I mean really...

And THAT"s the reason I don't share this urge to upgrade. Keep in mind that adapting the backend code is easy, but re-working the whole damn UI is a PITA. And this requires a low 5-figure sum in working hours which no-one will pay me back, especially when I don't plan on starting any serious project with J4 unless J4 has been around for at least 12-18 months (which it hasn't).

Joomla devs have been working on J4 for what, 6 years or so? I believe I can take a few months as well...

I'm sorry if I'm being blunt, but that's how things are.

Fotis / JoomlaWorks Support Team
---
Please search the forum before posting a new topic :)
More
7 months 2 weeks ago #180017 by ExquisM
Replied by ExquisM on topic K2 and Joomla 4
Hi Fotis,

Fair enough, you need to keep your business a priority.
Also, in many cases, the J4 upgrades can wait.

However, please consider, for those of us working on new projects, this is a different concern. I would much rather pay for the K2 (j4) and build the new project in J4 than build the project in J3 and then having to upgrade to J4 in 6/12 months.
Also, trying to explain to a client why I would use J3 instead of J4 is not exactly a confidence building exercise.

When it comes to new project, for many of us, one of the first questions is whether we should use Joomla or WP... For me, K2 was one of the main strengths of Joomla, so without K2/J4, there is an increased pressure to go with WP.

Bottom line:
I wonder if it would be possible to make K2 a premium extension and notch the K2 upgrade to the top of your (Fotis) / K2 team's priority list. I sense, many in the community would support this option.

Cheers
More
7 months 2 weeks ago #180019 by exigo
Replied by exigo on topic K2 and Joomla 4
Earlier I said for this, lets go to premium components with K2.
Fotias said this is plan..
But nothing has happened for many months...
More
7 months 1 day ago #180030 by nicolas depeyre
Replied by nicolas depeyre on topic K2 and Joomla 4
For me K2 deserves to wait, Joomla + K2 is the best, and I'm happy to know that it will continue one day on J4. It is true that J4 is painful in the UX, in any case thank you for the feedback
More
6 months 4 weeks ago #180034 by mjmartino
Replied by mjmartino on topic K2 and Joomla 4
Sorry Fotis but when you last time visit github and you wrote a review about the Joomla 4 interface.
The interface issue was discussed on github and on facebook, I haven't seen you to participate. So the claims that the interface looks the way it does are unfounded.

Jan Pavelka make plugin to bring back Top menu. This solved many problems.

If we're honest. You have created an extension that is in use on multiple sites. (100K maybe more)

So you also have to be responsible and not give your users in deep black hole.....
Because you have different priorities.

You write about money, then write that if you want to have K2 for Joomla 4, you have to pay for your time and K2 development.
People aren't stupid and don't always expect you to volunteer.
Many people will be glad to pay and make sure you keep your support.

Joomla 3 is supported on 8/17/2023.