Keyword

K2 and Joomla 4

More
6 months 4 weeks ago #180035 by exigo
Replied by exigo on topic K2 and Joomla 4
Quite a few people have already indicated here - myself too - that they would pay for the K2 component, which means that there is business opportunity in it.
Then I throw in the idea that a suitable software to migrate data from K2 to Joomla would interest me! One that works properly, user frendly and is a one that can be installed, etc.
Who can make do it?
The topic has been locked.
  • Concerto Designs Inc.
More
6 months 4 weeks ago #180036 by Concerto Designs Inc.
Replied by Concerto Designs Inc. on topic K2 and Joomla 4
Joomlart already offers a component that migrates K2 items into Joomla articles. Their extensions are usually good quality, but I have not tried it, so I do not know how it handles K2 custom fields.
The real issue is that you would have to replicate any customized K2 subtemplates (I find templating in Joomla articles more awkward). There would be some significant css work since article selectors are completely different.

Bottom line: I am hoping and praying that Fotis and the team will be able to find the time to make K2 J4-compatible. I would be happy to see K2 adopt a paid subscription model if that helps future-proof it.
More
6 months 3 weeks ago #180039 by JoomlaWorks
Replied by JoomlaWorks on topic K2 and Joomla 4
There is no need for prayers (or thoughts). K2 will be ported to J4. End of story.

The way I see it, once our current running projects are completed by June, there will be more time to work on the update for J4.

Keep in mind that all this custom work we do will also be reflected to a new set of template overrides using purely CSS Grid properties, which are miles ahead from anything you've seen so far, not just in Joomla-land.

K2 overrides will not only be simpler, they will also be mobile-friendly without any input from the template author. This means some things are also changing in the K2 backend with the addition of an aspect ratio selector for images too and the removal of some options that are no longer needed.

Again, all the important bits of the custom projects that we do, go back into K2 for everyone to use.

Fotis / JoomlaWorks Support Team
---
Please search the forum before posting a new topic :)
More
6 months 1 week ago #180081 by Johan Badenhorst
Replied by Johan Badenhorst on topic K2 and Joomla 4
Considering the comprehensive changes that are planned, will it be possible to port the content or upgrade a current Joomla 3 site with K2 to a Joomla 4 site when K2 becomes available for Joomla 4? I am asking because I want to start developing a new site with K2 in Joomla 3, but I want to get it on Joomla 4 as soon as K2 is available, and I do not then want to have to recreate or build the site in Joomla site with K2 from scratch.

So the alternate question is: should I wait for K2 in Joomla 4 or can I continue developing the site in Joomla 3 with K2 and will it be possible to easily upgrade the site to Joomla 4 K2?
(I understand that the Joomla 3 site will still be working for quite some time, so that is not my issue.)
More
6 months 6 days ago #180084 by JoomlaWorks
The K2 database schema is intact, as it has been well designed for years.

As such, upgrading from Joomla 1.5, 2.5 or 3.x TO Joomla 4.x is a matter of just copying your K2 database tables and moving the /media/k2/ files from the old to the new site.

In general, don't worry too much about K2. It's freaking that's causing issues all the goddamn time... Just consider the folks who have a few hundred modules and they have to reconfigure them in J4... Oh the horror!

---
More
5 months 1 week ago #180178 by PJones
Replied by PJones on topic K2 and Joomla 4
Hi guys......any update on this yet?
  • Electronic Beatz Network
More
4 months 3 weeks ago #180205 by Electronic Beatz Network
Replied by Electronic Beatz Network on topic K2 and Joomla 4
Some of our clients really want to know some facts about the update...

I feel like a fool telling them exactly "nothing" over eleven months.
More
4 months 3 weeks ago #180206 by Jeffrey Kiefer
Replied by Jeffrey Kiefer on topic K2 and Joomla 4
It has become obvious that this is an abandoned project.
More
4 months 2 weeks ago #180211 by JoomlaWorks
@Jeffrey Kiefer That's your opinion, really. The project's GitHub repo says otherwise...

---
  • Electronic Beatz Network
More
4 months 2 weeks ago #180216 by Electronic Beatz Network
Replied by Electronic Beatz Network on topic K2 and Joomla 4
@JoomlaWorks: Github says nothing happened for two weeks...