• Admin
More
1 year 3 months ago - 1 year 3 months ago #180643 by JoomlaWorks
K2 and Joomla 4 was created by JoomlaWorks
K2 and Joomla 4. What's coming next?

Please have a look at this blog post for detailed information:

getk2.org/blog/k2-v2-11-rolling-releases-joomla-4-and-more

Update on Jan 12th, 2023:
We shipped an update to K2 today (the joys of a rolling release) resolving a few final PHP warnings & deprecations under PHP 8.x. And suprise, surpise... Although Joomla 3 is recommended to be used with up to PHP 8.0 we can confirm Joomla 3 & K2 work just fine up to PHP 8.1, as we demonstrate on the K2 demo site: demo.getk2.org

Our demo site runs on a server with Nginx, PHP 8.1 (served via PHP-FPM), Memcached & MySQL 5.7, all in their latest versions/subversions. MySQL 8 (and the equivalent MariaDB 10.6+ versions) should also work just fine, as long as you ensure the option "default_authentication_plugin  = mysql_native_password" is in your MySQL 8 my.cnf configuration file, which is required by Joomla either way. As a sidenote, we recommend that you use MySQL (PDO) as your database driver in Joomla 3 (under Global Configuration), as the default MySQLi driver seems to generate a lot of warnings.

Fotis / JoomlaWorks Support Team
---
Please search the forum before posting a new topic :)
Last edit: 1 year 3 months ago by JoomlaWorks. Reason: First update

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 3 months ago #180647 by Florin Mircea Rusu
Replied by Florin Mircea Rusu on topic K2 and Joomla 4
Did I mention that I LOVE YOU?

More
1 year 3 months ago #180648 by Okan
Replied by Okan on topic K2 and Joomla 4
Hail to the King

Regards
Komşu

More
1 year 3 months ago - 1 year 3 months ago #180649 by shoulders
Replied by shoulders on topic K2 and Joomla 4
First of all, thanks for all of the hard work and the long and detailed blog post.

I agree with you that the Joomla 4 Administrator template is awful, why did they have to change this! (They got rid of the horizontal menu!!) . Early on I mentioned that this template did not work unless you have a 24" Apple Mac and loved clicking an things loads of times. They should of left it the same as the Joomla 3 Isis theme as that was great theme (and still is).

I hope the Joomla team do go for backwards compatibility and stop changing everything. Things got worse when the joomla.uservoices.com was removed. I haven't even converted my Joomla 3 extensions to J4 and people are already on about J5.

Now PHP8 errors have been fixed waiting for K2 V4 is no problem and will turn up when it does.

Rolling releases will definitely stop a lot of people saying 'is K2 dead?' which I found annoying.

All the best to the K2 Team
Last edit: 1 year 3 months ago by shoulders.

More
1 year 3 months ago #180650 by Chris
Replied by Chris on topic K2 and Joomla 4
Thank you Fotis and the K2 team, this news is very much appreciated!

More
1 year 3 months ago #180654 by SPOTTERON
Replied by SPOTTERON on topic K2 and Joomla 4
Thank you very much!
Such a relief;) Makes my day a happy day!

If there is a way to donate (or become a patreon) please let me know!

Old member

More
1 year 3 months ago #180660 by burnyourears
Replied by burnyourears on topic K2 and Joomla 4
.... this is really good news. Thank you!

More
1 year 3 months ago #180662 by mofreestyle
Replied by mofreestyle on topic K2 and Joomla 4
This really made my day K2 team!! Such wonderfull news. Thank yall so much for the hard work!

More
1 year 3 months ago #180663 by Gee
Replied by Gee on topic K2 and Joomla 4
Finally the post we've all been waiting for. A very good decision to go on rolling release to proof K2 has never been dead. And as a developer I fully admit Joomla 4 is an optical downgrade to Joomla 3 and I also hate all the differences in the API which are just annoying, but we have to deal with it while our customers want latest versions or PHP versions are running out which also forces us to change a lot while the code is not yet hackable. Programmers understand you, customers *cough*. But as written in the other forum topics no one would blame you if K2 would become a paid extensions. We pay for stuff that has 1% of K2's code. Maybe then the joy of programming on K2 gets back.

• Concerto Designs Inc.
More
1 year 3 months ago #180665 by Concerto Designs Inc.
Replied by Concerto Designs Inc. on topic K2 and Joomla 4
Excellent news - I was not thrilled at the prospect of converting over 40 sites from K2 to articles. As for Joomla 4, the admin UI doesn't really bother me, but I do appreciate its superior performance. Nicholas Dionysopoulos has a very good explanation about the rationale for J4's changed/updated API and code conventions: www.dionysopoulos.me/book.html
Thanks and kudos to Fotis and the K2 team!