Keyword

K2 and Joomla 4

More
1 year 3 months ago #180666 by Justin
Replied by Justin on topic K2 and Joomla 4
Great news ... thanks for the update!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• JoomlaWorks
  • JoomlaWorks's Avatar Topic Author
  • Admin
More
1 year 3 months ago #180667 by JoomlaWorks
Replied by JoomlaWorks on topic K2 and Joomla 4
@Gee
The joy in developing K2 was never lost :)

And of course it's natural that Joomla evolves, but they way it's done every freaking time has become annoying when life gets in the way (inevitably). As we grow older, we prioritise differently. Practical is better that shiny/new.

Joomla 4 brings nothing new to the table for end-users. As did Joomla 3 over 2.5. The only major feature for end-users came after Joomla 1.5 with the advent of custom user groups/ACL. That was it and still is. (And as for PHP compatibility? Joomla 3 & K2 work *just fine* in PHP 8.1. See the updated not on the initial post in this thread...)

Joomla is a platform like an OS. And like any serious OS it should limit its features to core & improve on them. As a good example in open source, see how Linux OSs evolve over time and how the top GUIs like KDE & Gnome limit their offered software to core/essential or small helpful utilities. If any of these attempted to create a LibreOffice or GIMP or Blender clone though, would be instantly mocked at by the community...

But no, the usual Joomla devs/fanboys/co-founders that control the project, who actually ousted any other reasonable people in the project or community over time (because the latter obviously had more important things to deal with in life), think Joomla has a holly mission of providing everything for 99,9% of sites without any 3rd party extensions, while following every moronic programming pattern or trend they can so as not to be called old or obsolete in programming. Joomla *used* to be at the forefront of CMS software. Now it's just copying what others are doing and it's also doing so in bad way. They mock WordPress which controls half the goddamn internet (because it's practical & backwards compatible), yet don't grasp why Joomla's percentage is dropping or why end-users don't get their genius.

This is a) sort-sighted (no understanding of the original software's success = it's community of 3rd party devs) b) reveals character complex (personal egos and such) and c) it's just plain stupid from a business standpoint. These people usually have no real-world/professional experience and I'm not talking about selling extensions as a professional endeavour, I mean actually using Joomla to deliver projects (sites or web apps) for paying customers/businesses.

You know what end-users and businesses say for J4? It's actually sh*t. And they have no damn reason to change to it, especially when the core software they utilize (which 100% covers their content needs) is up to date, modern looking, fast loading and continuously upgraded with meaningful features.

Everything else is hypothetical developer joy. It usually takes all the hardcore-OOP/new/shiny/whatever fans in Joomla a couple of years to realize after each major b/c-breaking release, but when they do, they have already "shot their feet". And the circle continues by breaking the b/c one more freaking time with the next "big release".

Which is why K2 will gradually switch to the simplest humanly possible MVC structure ever, without sacrificing its extensible nature or features. And yes, you might see K2 in WordPress at some point in the near future...

Fotis / JoomlaWorks Support Team
---
Please search the forum before posting a new topic :)

• Litho-Verlag e.K.
More
1 year 3 months ago #180677 by Litho-Verlag e.K.
Replied by Litho-Verlag e.K. on topic K2 and Joomla 4
hello guys
A big heavy stone has fallen from my heart. Thank you for your work! But never the less may I still ask how it looks with various components, or whether existing plugins already fits:
All Video
Gallery
Multi category tool

best wishes
litho

• JoomlaWorks
  • Admin
More
1 year 3 months ago #180678 by JoomlaWorks
I see no reason why things should break in terms of interoperability with other extensions...

---

More
1 year 3 months ago #180687 by Jack Hughes
Replied by Jack Hughes on topic K2 and Joomla 4
Thank you Fotis and Team. This is excellent news.

I hate to ask this question, but it's being asked of me a lot right now... Is there an eta on K2 ver4 that is J4 compatible? Estimate is the key word here. I have 45 J3/K2 websites that need to be migrated to J4 and it's budget season for a lot of my clients.

Any insight would be appreciated.

I would also like to state that I would be more than willing to pay a subscription for K2.

Thank you for your effort.

Jack

• PalaceShieldCricket
More
1 year 2 months ago #180727 by PalaceShieldCricket
Replied by PalaceShieldCricket on topic K2 and Joomla 4
Is it too early to ask for a eta?

More
1 year 1 month ago #180779 by Jo
Replied by Jo on topic K2 and Joomla 4
Gutted...
I have been putting off doing new sites in Joomla 4 as I don't like it and hate so many layout changes and was waiting for more components to become compatible..
I felt that I could no longer install Joomla 3 on a new site and plunged into Joomla 4. One of my first steps is to install K2 so I'm gutted to find it isn't yet compatible.
I do totally understand and I'm very grateful for all the work that goes into K2 making it so versatile.
For now I will try to use articles, sigh...

• JoomlaWorks
  • Admin
More
1 year 1 month ago #180784 by JoomlaWorks
We'll get there, don't worry :)

---

More
1 year 1 month ago #180791 by trogladyte
Replied by trogladyte on topic K2 and Joomla 4
I, too, would like some sort of ETA. Fortunately I only have 2 sites to convert, but they're the last J3 ones hanging round on my server.

"We'll get there, don't worry :)"  This doesn't work as an ETA.

• JoomlaWorks
  • Admin
More
1 year 1 month ago #180796 by JoomlaWorks
The plan is to release before the end of June 2023 (need to get SIGPro ready first).

---