Keyword

DISQUS comment plugin issues with Internet Explorer

• benedets
  • benedets's Avatar Topic Author
More
14 years 4 months ago #29716 by benedets
I recently installed the disqus comment plugin and ever since I have been getting errors on Internet Explorer.  "The site will not load.  Operation aborted."  The page will not load on IE6 or IE7.

It DOES work on IE8, Firefox and Safari.

To verify this, I turned off the disqus plugin and all is well with Internet Explorer once again.  This seems to be a common javascript error that occurs on IE with several Joomla plugins.

Any ideas how to fix this? 

Thanks!

Stephanie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 4 months ago #29717 by Katia
May I have a url to your site please?

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---
Please search the forum before posting a new topic :)

More
14 years 4 months ago #29718 by cbdh19
I am having the same problem. And it seems to be very quirky. It seems like certain IE7 releases will load the page with disqus enabled and some will not. (I don't know about IE6).

For instance -->

IE7 release = 7.0.5730.11 will return a "cannot open the web site" error on the following page (and other pages) on my web site - solarchargeddriving.com/news/general-news/214-ev-drivers-add-voices-to-noise-and-safety-debate

BUT it will only give me an error some of the time -- sometimes it will load the page, other times it refuses to load the page.

With IE7 release = 7.0.5730.13, the page loads BUT the page load status green bar at the bottom of the browser shows that the page never truly finishes loading.

And, to make matters more quirky. Sometimes I will see this page load green status bar in constant load mode, and other times I won't with this particular IE7 release.

However, it seems clear to me the problems are related to Disqus. When I turn the Disqus plug-in off, I don't have the load problem with IE7 release = 7.0.5730.13. I can't test it with .11 right now because I have that release on my computer at home.

It seems like the problem might have something to do with how jQuery handles onDomReady -
disqus.disqus.com/jquery_disqus_plugin/

And/or it might have something to do with nested tags, javascript loading, etc and IE7

support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/927917

This stuff is all above my head.

I'd like to keep using disqus -- I've been using it since Sept. 2009. So I hope that you find a solution to this.

I'm using joomla 1.5.14, running my pages on rochen.com, and disqus v = 2.2 (just updated in hopes it would solve this problem -- it did not)

More
14 years 4 months ago #29719 by cbdh19
Some other things I've noticed:

- It appears that the problem may only occur when I, myself, am logged into my disqus account and looking at pages on my site -- solarchargeddriving.com
- However, even when I am not logged in to Disqus, if I hit "shift" and the "refresh" button in IE7 on the following page (and on others on my site) --
solarchargeddriving.com/news/people/130-sun-powrd-california-couple-wows-world-with-sun-charged-rav4

I get the "Internet Explorer cannot open the site. Operation aborted error."

This doesn't always happen. You have to hit "shift" "refresh" multiple times sometimes.

Eventually, though, the page will not re-load and you'll get the "operation aborted error".

Also, sometimes with Disqus enabled and viewing pages on solarchargeddriving.com with IE7, you get the "Error" triangle in the bottom left-hand corner of the browser and the following error message under "details"

Line: 100
Char: 468
Code: 0

At least at this time -- I'll wait until I get home and can run IE7 release = 7.0.5730.11 to be certain -- it would seem that only people:
a) who are logged into disqus when they arrive at my site
b) and who are running a very particular IE7 releases might not be able to load some of my pages.

• benedets
  • benedets's Avatar Topic Author
More
14 years 4 months ago #29720 by benedets
My brother managed to fix this javascript error for me.  My url is www.besthudsonvalleyweddingever.com.

This post was very helpful in finding the solution.

forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f=126&t=267397

Stephanie

More
14 years 3 months ago #29721 by Vilya75
Thanks for posting that javascript fix Stephanie that solved my problem as well.

More
14 years 3 months ago #29722 by jfellows
I'm having the same problem, and I've checked that link and can't seem to figure out how to fix the javascript problem.

It seems to occur intermittently and I get the Operation Aborted message. Seems to work OK with IE8, but earlier versions get the error.

I have many, many visitors who use the earlier versions, and since I've installed DISQUS in Joomla, I've lost almost a 1/3 of my traffic (10,000 visits a day!).

I really want to continue to use DISQUS, as it is a great commenting system, but I can't afford to be losing this much traffic because of these issues with IE.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

(the tooltip workaround in that link did not work for me).

Thanks!

More
14 years 1 month ago #29723 by andregill
The Disqus plugin was causing my site to not be able to render in Internet Explorer 6/7 and was screwing some things up in vs. 8.

More
14 years 1 month ago #29724 by billbob

Thanks for posting that javascript fix Stephanie that solved my problem as well.

TheLoveBosS on the Joomla link solved both the crashing and the fact that it wasn't appearing in IE. Thanks for the heads up.

More
14 years 1 month ago #29725 by cbdh19
I'm back. Hadn't surfed my site -- solarchargeddriving.com -- in IE7 in awhile. Obviously, it was a mistake not to as the "IE cannot open the Internet site" "operation aborted error" with disqus on in IE7 is a HUGE problem. I cannot navigate to individual articles in my site at all in IE7 with disqus on.

The above suggested fix doesn't work for me either, unfortunately.

To be fair, I just tried the JCComments extension - extensions.joomla.org/extensions/contacts-and-feedback/articles-comments/9985 -- and encountered exactly the same "operation aborted" errors in IE7 as I have with disqus.

Seems like either I write off commenting on my web site, or I write off IE7 users (who make up about 15% of my web site traffic). Not a happy choice.

Sure would be nice to see someone from joomlaworks actually comment on this thread as this seems to be a pretty important issue, given that somewhere around 20% of web users in the world are using IE7...