Keyword

K2 Portfolio Component

• Greg Irsfeld
  • Greg Irsfeld's Avatar Topic Author
More
10 years 3 months ago - 10 years 3 months ago #124020 by Greg Irsfeld
K2 Portfolio Component was created by Greg Irsfeld
This is probably a stupid Q, but bear with me. Is there a way to deploy a "K2 portfolio page with animated sort" functionality that loads K2 items?

I have a commercially templated site (Joomla 2.5) that features this functionality: (www.lewiscustomhomesmn.com/gallery/photo-gallery-4.html).

I asked the template folks if this was using a third-party extension, and they said that they built that into the template.

I've found online references to a "K2 Portfolio Component," and while I've found a couple of online tutorials that reference a K2 portfolio page ( www.templatemonster.com/help/joomla-2-5-how-to-create-a-portfolio-page.html and www.tutorialworld.net/create-portfolio-page-joomla/), I can't seem to find anything more specific about it.

Specifically, I'm trying to add this K2 portfolio" feature to another K2-enabled Joomla 2.5 site (still on my localhost), yet when I try to follow the above tutorials, specifically Step 12, I don't have an option to set the template to 'portfolio." Likewise, there is no "portfolio" subdirectory listed under my site folder structure anywhere. What am I missing?

I'm looking for how I might add/engage/deploy that "K2 portfolio page with animated sort" functionality ... if it's possible.

Any ideas?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Kannan Naidu Venugopal
  • Platinum Member
  • Aham Brahmasmi
More
10 years 3 months ago #124021 by Kannan Naidu Venugopal
Replied by Kannan Naidu Venugopal on topic Re: K2 Portfolio Component

Step 12, I don't have an option to set the template to 'portfolio." Likewise, there is no "portfolio" subdirectory listed under my site folder structure anywhere. What am I missing?

Did you copy the template override files from the previous joomla site to the current site that you're working on? It will be in /templates /YOUR TEMPLATE NAME/html/com_k2/templates/ - copy the portfolio folder and paste into the current site

The you will see the option to select the template (portfolio)

See here for templating with K2

K2 Rocks \m/

• Greg Irsfeld
More
10 years 3 months ago #124022 by Greg Irsfeld
Replied by Greg Irsfeld on topic Re: K2 Portfolio Component
HUGE, help, Kannan. THANK YOU SO MUCH! The development site uses the Rockettheme Gantry framework, so I copied the "portfolio" folder from the first site into the /com_k2/templates folder, and the portfolio template showed up, just as you said. Thanks.

You've already been such a huge help, I almost hate to ask this, but I'm going to anyway. Now that I have the portfolio template working, and the K2 items displaying, do you know where I make the adjustments to have those portfolio items display horizontally instead of vertically? Also, a text link is appearing along side the images, "K2_ZOOM," which I would prefer to NOT display. Do you know where I might make adjustments to make that NOT happen?

Take a look at the attached screen shot to illustrate. Again, I appreciate any help/guidance you might be able to provide.
Attachments:

• Kannan Naidu Venugopal
  • Platinum Member
  • Aham Brahmasmi
More
10 years 3 months ago #124023 by Kannan Naidu Venugopal
Hi Greg,

I know the site is in localhost, unless it gets published we can't help. Just a quick question, are those categories and sub categories ? You can have a look at the code category.php or category_item.php inside the portfolio folder, look for the language string block K2_ZOOM , or perhaps copy the template language file into the current joomla site.

K2 Rocks \m/

• Greg Irsfeld
More
10 years 3 months ago #124024 by Greg Irsfeld
Thanks, Kannan.

1) I may have gotten a bit closer, but then again, I'm not sure. I was clicking around the admin panel, and discovered that under "K2 parameters," the setting for "K2 default CSS" was disabled. Just to see, I changed it to "enabled," and the items on the gallery page displayed horizontally (see attached). Still has a lot of issues, yet that could all be a matter of styling? I may just need to identify the governing styling files. Any ideas?

2) I'm not using any K2 subcategories. Not really sure yet how those even work. I need to learn to walk before I attempt to fly. :)

3) You've been so helpful, and are getting me closer. Thank you. I think I will take the site live as a 30-day-free trial demo site that I can use at CloudAccess.net (my go-to Joomla web host). I will let you know later today when it's up and live. Then we can see if you'd have time to take a look things, and maybe spot where I'm going wrong ... or point in a direction to learn how to accomplish what I'm attempting. I hate to take up too much of your time, yet I really appreciate your guidance.
Attachments:

• Greg Irsfeld
More
10 years 3 months ago #124025 by Greg Irsfeld
Hi Kannan,

To follow-up my earlier latest post, I've launched my demo site. The URL is emmajaedesign.cloudaccess.net.

I've established a user account for you, in case it would help for you to be able to access the administration back-end. If you'd care to look at it, I can send you the login credentials I set up for you (I don't want to post those in a public forum, obviously). I have your login set up as Manager/Administrator.

Let me know if you'd have time to take a look at the portfolio page, to see if you have any ideas:
emmajaedesign.cloudaccess.net/index.php/gallery-portfolio/garments

Again, I'd like to know how to make that portfolio display/function like THIS portfolio:
www.lewiscustomhomesmn.com/gallery/photo-gallery-4.html.

I thank you for all of your help already, and any additional ideas you might be able to offer.

• Kannan Naidu Venugopal
  • Platinum Member
  • Aham Brahmasmi
More
10 years 3 months ago #124026 by Kannan Naidu Venugopal
Hi Greg,

I think you're missing the template.css file. lewiscustomhome page has it but emmajaedesign doesn't. Quite a no of K2 style override is in that css file.

K2 Rocks \m/

• Greg Irsfeld
More
10 years 3 months ago #124027 by Greg Irsfeld
I think you were right. My new dev. site is based on the Rockettheme Gantry framework. To customize that, I had to add the "portfolio" section from the lewiscustomhomesmn.com site to a "gantry-custom.css" file that overrides all site css. Once I did that, a lot of the problems ceased

emmajaedesign.cloudaccess.net/index.php/gallery-portfolio/garments

However, the animated sort doesn't work. I tried figuring that out ... I think that may be a jQuery feature, so I played around with copying "tabs.js" files into a template name/js directory, hoping it would all magically start working, but no luck.

Any ideas of how I might engage that animated sort feature?

Also, I'm REALLY sorry to keep asking you this stuff ... if I could find a single source for how I could do all of this stuff, I would gladly go there.

• Kannan Naidu Venugopal
  • Platinum Member
  • Aham Brahmasmi
More
10 years 3 months ago #124028 by Kannan Naidu Venugopal
There are quite a few js files missing on emmajae site, you can view the source of lewiscustom site and see which is missing.

K2 Rocks \m/

• Greg Irsfeld
More
10 years 3 months ago #124029 by Greg Irsfeld
My apologies for the delay. I had some projects that needed my attention.

I went in and copied ALL of the files in the /js directory to the emmajaedesign site. I was hoping that would magically engage the animated sort feature on the portfolio page, but it was not to be. Perhaps I'm attempting to do too much ... copying the portfolio with animated sort from one site to another and hoping to get it to work.

Can you tell me ... is that "portfolio with animated sort" feature a standard component of K2?

1) If yes, is there some download documentation explaining how I might learn how to engage it?
2) If not, do you know of some sources, online or otherwise, you could suggest where I might learn how to build/engage a "portfolio with animated sort" to display K2 items.

As I mentioned, the lewiscustomhomesmn.com site was built by TemplateMonster.com. Perhaps its' just beyond me. You've helped me get closer, and I sincerely appreciate that.

Let me know if you have any additional suggestions that might help me learn how to make this work on the dev. site. Thanks again, for all of hour help.