Keyword

Either I am Completely Stupid or There is No Installation Documentation

• Spaatz
  • Spaatz's Avatar Topic Author
More
15 years 7 months ago #17097 by Spaatz
Hello Everyone,

First of all, I think this plug in is a great idea and based upon the comments of others, it probably works very well. 

That being said, I am having the absolute worst time installing and using it.

I installed the plg_jw_allvideos-v2.5.3_j1.5 version of All Videos plugin.

I activated it in Joomla using the plug-in manager and configured it as I needed.

I then went to an article in Joomla where I wanted to attach a flash movie located on my server. 

There was absolutely NO area for me to specify a flash movie file or attach it.

I may be completely off my rocker and not seeing anything but I have been scouring the internet for the past hour and the only thing I find it a hyperlink to a page that displays the file types that this application supports.  The file itself came with absolutely no README.txt file and no instructions. I had to deduce that I should use the zip file inm the plugin installation screen and activate it in the plug in manager screen in Joomla but otherwise, I haven't the foggiest idea how to use the plug-in or what subsequent steps I should take.

I'm pretty good at installing modules and add-ins for most web software but this one has me absolutely perplexed. 

Anyone have installation instructions?

Thanks for your help.

Sincerely

Stupid

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 7 months ago #17098 by OneStop
No..you're not crazy. These guys release some nifty plugins...that aren't quite as configurable as they should be without a lot of serious hacking. And as for documentation, you can hang that up. About the only place you'll find any information about using the components/plugins is after you install it and go to the Module Manager and look at the actual Module page. These guys really ought to consider a new site design and proper documentation rather than working on 50 plugins at once that "sort of work" "most of the time".

Granted...these plugins aren't very expensive...but it would still be great if they had more user controls implemented and good documentation to go with them.

I don't have to worry about my comments being viewed as negative, since apparently the moderators never read/respond in the forums anyway! WOOT. ???

More
15 years 7 months ago - 15 years 7 months ago #17099 by gvision
Well, you're making more progress than I am...I am getting an error message at the Install stage! something about 'can't find directory'. I downlaoded the allvideo file to my computer, and tried to Install from there. No go. Help  ! PS - I am a not from an IT background and learning all this piece by piece, term by term. Please talk to me like I'm six! This is the actual message I get: JFolder::create: Could not create directory
Warning! - Failed to move file

More
15 years 7 months ago #17100 by zazag
I've had those sorts of errors too, not for all videos though.  Try to ftp the zip to a location on the server and rather than doing the install from an upload from your computer, it does the install from the same server.  It's worked for me in the past although I don't see why it shouldn't work the other way too.  Give it a go.

More
15 years 7 months ago #17101 by drgardner
In an effort to answer the original question...

You're not stupid, I just downloaded and installed and ran into the same issue. Thankfully, I had a hint of the prior knowledge that the documentation assumes. It's not intuitive, unless you know how it works.

Basically, what you need to do is embed a tag in your article that indicates which video should be included on display. There is a list here: www.joomlaworks.net/content/view/35/41/

For example, if you want to display a Quicktime movie, you'd add {mov}mymovie{/mov} in the desired location on the page. Note that you don't include the filename extension and there is a default path, which is also explained on the documentation page.

If you look under component manager, you'll find some settings to change path and player size/style.

Good luck.

More
15 years 7 months ago #17102 by hearts
Also, if you want to install it in a module you have to indicate this in the Plugin settings "Use AllVideos Inside Modules - Yes/No". It took me FOREVER to figure out that one!

More
15 years 3 months ago #17103 by Timothy Hicks
Hearts,

I am very interested in knowing where in the admin did you change the Plugin settings to "Use AllVideos Inside Modules - Yes/No"?

I have installed the newest plugin, but I do not see where the typical AVmedia btn that sat next to the Image btn in the editor.

Thanks!