Keyword

Can't seem to play local videos

• webwannabee
  • webwannabee's Avatar Topic Author
More
14 years 11 months ago - 14 years 11 months ago #23270 by webwannabee
Can't seem to play local videos was created by webwannabee
this i probably not an 'allvideos' issue, but I'm trying to eliminate possible causes, as to what the problem could be..I have a Joomla website, served by an Ubuntu server on my computer, which makes it easy to get proper file permissions (which I checked, for image folders and images- they're ok). I installed/enabled the allvideos plugin, and can play videos with the embedded 'youtube' tag, as you  can see:   sasswebs.com   but the  big blank space underneath those two videos, is supposed to show a video that's in www/images/stories/videos..it is a .swf that I  got online, just to  test. The path in the allvideos plugin itself is 'images/stories/videos' just like that. Maybe it has something to do with my ubuntu installation (Hardy Heron 8.04) and I don't have something in my 'library' for .swf's and other vid files, I dont' know.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 11 months ago #23271 by solyluna
Replied by solyluna on topic Re: Can't seem to play local videos
Same here - but I can embed local videos through the built-in Joomla (1.5) feature in the WYSIWYG  ??? - go figure.

• webwannabee
  • webwannabee's Avatar Topic Author
More
14 years 11 months ago #23272 by webwannabee
Replied by webwannabee on topic Re: Can't seem to play local videos
Hi solyluna  :)  I'm not sure what you mean though, I too am using the editor to embed something like '{flv}demo{/flv} in content, as the AllVideos tutorial says. That is supposed to load a video placed where Allvideos suggests  (in images/stories/videos) but I get an error. I can embed youtube videos no problem.

More
14 years 10 months ago #23273 by wcjj
Replied by wcjj on topic Re: Can't seem to play local videos
Hey WWB...I'm having the same problem.  But I uploaded the same video to two different sites and it works fine on one while on the other site I get an error message that reads "cannot find video".  The only difference I can find is that the site the video plays on has a www file as the root directory and the site it doesn't play on does not have a file labeled www.  I've also searched this topic and see that it has been asked several times and nobody ever answers.  I'm beginning to think nobody knows the answer.  I really think it might be time to look for a new player.

More
14 years 10 months ago #23274 by awedge
Replied by awedge on topic Re: Can't seem to play local videos
Have you guys set the file permissions in "Global Configuration"?

In your admin of Joomla go to Global Configuration>>> System>>> Media Settings>>> Legal Extentions

You have to add the video file extentions you want to use to this list. The list is in Alphabetical order and has to be done twice for each file type in upper and lower case. Not sure if this is your problem or not but my local videos would not play until I made this change...

Hope this helps