Keyword
Please note that official support for commercial extensions & templates is provided in the Subscriber Help Desk.
Support requests should ONLY be directed there and require an active subscription plan.
This forum board is to be used for archive purposes and knowledge exchange ONLY.

Creating a new template by copying an old

• Lisa Zhen
  • Lisa Zhen's Avatar Topic Author
More
11 years 7 months ago #50984 by Lisa Zhen
I want to modify a template and use it with 2.5X.  The FPS is only supposed to show on my home page, which uses a different template than all the other pages on my site.

I copied the "Movies" template per the Documentation page, new name "newone".  How to I signal to fps to use this?  Does the auto sense feature not work when pages have different templates? 

PS. I searched for an answer, for a long time.  All I found were unanswered questions or threads that ended with "PM me the admin info and I'll look around".

Thanks in Advance!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lisa Zhen
More
11 years 6 months ago #50985 by Lisa Zhen
Replied by Lisa Zhen on topic Re: Creating a new template by copying an old
Aaahh, love forum support.  Where do paying customers like myself go to get support from Joomlaworks? 

I searched before posting, but the psots with similar questions either end with a mod saying "PM me admin info" and not following up with an answer.  Or, unanswered, like mine.

More
11 years 6 months ago #50986 by slanier
Replied by slanier on topic Re: Creating a new template by copying an old
thanks for sharing your experience guys, I'm new in this site and I keep on exploring and or usually reading comments and
suggestions,perhaps I can apply it to my account I just created a day ago..

More
11 years 6 months ago #50987 by Katia
@JJa7, what is the exact problem you are facing?

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---
Please search the forum before posting a new topic :)

• Lisa Zhen
More
11 years 6 months ago #50988 by Lisa Zhen
I followed the instructions:

To create a new slideshow template, the process is almost identical. In this case, you can copy one of the pre-packaged templates just to get started, but you can name the template's folder differently. The Frontpage Slideshow will "see" this new template even if it doesn't exist on the module's tmpl folder. It's what we call "on the fly" MVC templating and it's a concept we first introduced with our flagship Joomla! extension, K2.

and the new template didn't show up as a choice on the admin page.  I'm asking what to do after I've waited, flushed all caches, etc.  I am wondering if there are different instructions for Joomla 2.5 where you can have different templates for each page.

More
11 years 6 months ago #50989 by Katia
Where did you save the new template?
The method for having different templates for different pages is by copying the FPSS module, set it to be rendered where you want and select different template.

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---
Please search the forum before posting a new topic :)

• Lisa Zhen
More
11 years 6 months ago #50990 by Lisa Zhen
Solved my issue.  The documentation needs to be updated for users of joomla 2.5+ that have multiple joomla page templates being used. 

The solution is to copy the folder to the folder of joomla page template that is the DEFAULT template.  Not necessarily the template your page is assigned to.

To say a different way:
I followed the instructions and copied the folder to the template folder that my home page uses, which is where the slide show is running. FPSS did not see this new template, which is why I posted this question here.    FPSS will not see the template unless you copy it into your DEFAULT joomla page template.

The documentation could be updated.  Change:
To override one of the pre-packaged templates, simply copy its folder to /templates/YOURJOOMLATEMPLATE/html/mod_fpss/.

to:
To override one of the pre-packaged templates, simply copy its folder to /templates/YOURJOOMLATEMPLATE/html/mod_fpss/.  Where YOURJOOMLATEMPLATE is your sites DEFAULT joomla template.  This template might be different than the one you are using for the page running FPSS.