Keyword

Where is the documentation?

• Andrea
  • Andrea's Avatar Topic Author
More
12 years 6 months ago #57279 by Andrea
Where is the documentation? was created by Andrea
I must be missing something here... K2 is very popular, with thousands of users, but I couldn't find any documentation at all !!

This is supposed to be the beginner's forum, so I expected to see at least a few topics asking "hey, I'm new here, how do I learn K2?"

Instead, all the questions seem to be about very specific topics, which is something you expect from an expert, not from a beginner.

So.... WHERE IS THE DOCUMENTATION? HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO LEARN HOW TO USE K2????

Thanks everybody, your help will be much appreciated

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 6 months ago #57280 by ER
Replied by ER on topic Re: Where is the documentation?
I second that. I'm a developer and I need documentation on template development but there's 0 items in the developer section.

• Andrea
More
12 years 6 months ago #57281 by Andrea
Replied by Andrea on topic Re: Where is the documentation?
So, No replies yet... I can't believe there is no documentation at all!
Someone must have written a page or recorded a youtube video, and if they haven't, here is a big opportunity to do something really useful to a lot of people!

The funniest thing is that the main menu of this site has a "Documentation" item, but there is practically nothing inside.

More
12 years 6 months ago #57282 by JoomlaWorks
Replied by JoomlaWorks on topic Re: Where is the documentation?
There is a great wealth of video tutorials in the old K2 Community, located here: community.getk2.org/video

Same goes for any questions that might occur while developing a site with K2. The old community and soon the new one, provide the best source to learn K2 and solve issues.

Now that v2.5 is out, we plan to gradually fill the documentation section in this site with small practical tutorials covering all aspects of using K2. I personally plan to write 5 small tuts per week.

If you are just getting started, I can only say that working with K2 is like working with default Joomla! articles, only much easier and concise.

To get started, try this:
- Install K2 in an existing site.
- In the items list, top right, hit the import button. This will import your Joomla! articles into K2. Don't worry. The original Joomla! articles are left intact. This will allow you to have some content inside for you to play around.
- After the import, you already have some articles (items in K2 lingo) and categories that form your K2 content's structure. Now start creating some menu items to the K2 categories or items.
- Experiment with the K2 category options. When you flip the switch in some parameter in a K2 category, the switch will be enforced in all items of this category, everywhere in the site (unlike Joomla! articles).
- Enrich your K2 items: add tags, a K2 item image, video, gallery, upload some attachments.
- Extend your K2 item forms: go to the "extra fields" page in the K2 backend and create some new extra fields. "Extra fields" are new form items that extend the base K2 form. And that's one of the beauties of K2. You got a solid starting form for your item and you can extend it with additional fields. Imagine wanting to add a table of data (e.g. details about a movie) inside your items. Extra fields are the way to go. Once you create a few extra fields (you'll see that K2 asks you to group them), you "attach" these extra fields to your item forms, by assigning a particular extra field group to a K2 category.
- A K2 category can only be assigned to one extra field group. An extra field group however can be shared among many categories.
- Now after you've setup your extra fields (and groups) and assigned them to one or more categories, you can start adding more content to your K2 items. When you select a category that has an extra field group assigned to it, these fields will display in the "extra fields" tab inside the K2 item edit form.
- Create more menu items to users (user pages/blogs), tags or the uber-cool "latest items by users or categories" view.

Some additional things to keep in mind:
- K2 makes proper use of its "global" parameters. These parameters will most likely be set only once from you. Browse these parameters (see the button top right in all K2 lists in the backend). If some parameter seems funky too you, hover above its name for an in-depth explanation in the form of a "tooltip".
- We have a few but very powerful modules. One you'll be using most of the times and that's "K2 Content" (mod_k2_content). This is the primary module to fetch content from anywhere in K2 in dozens of combinations. The other modules allow you to fetch comments (K2 Comments/mod_k2_content), user lists (K2 Users/mod_k2_users), the K2 tools (mod_k2_tools) module allows you display lists like archives per year/month, a drop-down of your K2 categories, a calendar, a K2 specific search box, a tag cloud and more. Finally we have the K2 User (mod_k2_user) module, which is a replacement of the Joomla! login module: you use this module to allow your users to log into (and out of) your site. When they are logged in, they see some special actions, in relation to K2 and the powerful access rights that K2 can give to specific groups of users in K2.

More soon ;)

Fotis / JoomlaWorks Support Team
---
Please search the forum before posting a new topic :)

• Andrea
More
12 years 6 months ago #57283 by Andrea
Replied by Andrea on topic Re: Where is the documentation?
Thanks Fotis,
that was really helpful, I couldn't believe that I was the only one who needed some documentation to learn K2 :)

I also found some pretty good material here:
www.ostraining.com/blog/joomla/k2/

More
12 years 6 months ago #57284 by Sara
Replied by Sara on topic Re: Where is the documentation?

Fotis Evangelou wrote:
Some additional things to keep in mind:
. . .
- We have a few but very powerful modules. . . .The other modules allow you to fetch comments (K2 Comments/mod_k2_content), user lists (K2 Users/mod_k2_users), the K2 tools (mod_k2_tools) module allows you display lists like archives per year/month, a drop-down of your K2 categories, a calendar. . .

More soon ;)

Is this an Events Calendar, or just a calendar with the current day highlighted? i am looking for an events calendar solution thru K2, if there is one. I am currently using JEvents, but I would be willing to switch to a K2 solution if there is one. I can export my current JEvents items via iCal, if there is a way to import them into K2 (please provide the steps if this is possible).

I have searched the forum and watched several video tutorials. The best I could find is a mention of using a Google App Calendar, which doesn't seem to be what I see in the K2 demo (demo.getk2.org/). A forum topic titled "Calendar Setup" seems to be related to a bug in the Users tab, not at all related to setting up the calendar. Am I missing something?

Thank you! :)