Keyword

Blank User Groups, Extra Fields, Extra Groups

• Red Deer
  • Red Deer's Avatar Topic Author
More
12 years 3 weeks ago #65470 by Red Deer
Hi,

What would prevent the K2 User Groups, Extra Fields, and Extra Field Groups pages from loading properly?

Details:

• Using demo content from JoomlaBamboo Rasa template (new installation)
  • Using LDAP to authenticate (maybe a red herring)

I get a blank screen when I access User Groups, Extra Fields, or Extra Field Groups from the Joomla 2.5 back end. No error message, even with Joomla debugging display enabled. All Super User parameter permissions are enabled.

The following K2 selections are accessible:

• Items
  • Categories (works fine -- I added some categories)
  • Tags
  • Comments
  • Users (users from Joomla groups show up fine; no K2 users are listed if either registered or Site Owner is selected from the -- Select joomla! Group-- pull-down menu)
  • Media Manager
  • Information (all installed and writable)

The following K2 selections cause a blank page (not even an error) to be displayed:
  • User Groups
  • Extra Fields
  • Extra Field Groups

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 3 weeks ago #65471 by william white
Replied by william white on topic Re: Blank User Groups, Extra Fields, Extra Groups
Hello, welcome to K2 Community
I just did a rasa quickstart with the latest 2.5 and the k2 version that comes with it.
Added xtra field group
added xtra field
selected the democontent category
set it to see the new extra field group
edited the first k2 item
added info into a "text" extra field
and it displayed fine.
Check your k2 information tab again and be sure everything is enabled at the top right
Also, what kind and how many xtra fields did you create, and did you populate all of the fields?

• Red Deer
More
12 years 3 weeks ago #65472 by Red Deer
Thank you very much, Will!

I get a blank screen when I try to access Extra Field Group or Extra Field, so I cannot follow the steps you've outlined -- this is the issue, along with blank screen for K2 User Groups.

In addition to the Rasa demo content, I had installed the plug-ins for LDAP authentication and some general admin extensions, including Akeeba Backup, Advanced Module Manager, and ACL Manager, and extensions recommended for the Rasa template. So, I'm going to create a new Rasa installation, and for now, leave out any extensions that are not essential for the Rasa demo content so I can either duplicate your steps or establish whether I've got some other server-level config issue.

Back in a bit to follow up.

• Red Deer
More
12 years 3 weeks ago #65473 by Red Deer
Fresh new installation of Rasa Quickstart with demo content and no additional extensions. The problem (blank page for User Groups, Extra Fields, Extra Field Groups, but no Joomla debug or other error message) still occurs. Installed with a new MySQL(i) table just to isolate.

I've not tinkered with any of the permissions on the installed directories or files.

Server is CentOS
Ownership apache.apache for all
Default directory permission is 755
Default file permission is 644

Just for grins, I'll try the installation again on a Windows system to determine if there is any difference.

Will, do you have any ideas?

More
12 years 3 weeks ago #65474 by william white
Replied by william white on topic Re: Blank User Groups, Extra Fields, Extra Groups
Check your k2 information tab in the k2 dashboard and be sure everything at the top right k2 reports that everything enabled on your server (especially mb_string)

• Red Deer
More
12 years 3 weeks ago #65475 by Red Deer
Hi Will,

All appears well for all Information settings same as before on both installations. (Listing at end of this message.)

BTW, did a Windows XAMPP installation of Rasa Quickstart with demo and K2 is working fine, including User Groups, Extra Fields, and Extra Field Groups.

What I have seen in the past regarding differences between XAMPP and LAMPP have been issues with PHP, so I checked the error log on this Linux system (for security, substituted mysite, mydomain, and mypath in the following transcript text) and saw:

[Thu Apr 26 12:35:36 2012] [error] [client ip address] PHP Warning: require_once(/mypath/administrator/components/com_k2/controllers/usergroups.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /mypath/administrator/components/com_k2/admin.k2.php on line 119, referer: mymachine.mydomain.com/mysite/administrator/index.php?option=com_k2&view=info
[Thu Apr 26 12:35:36 2012] [error] [client ip address] PHP Fatal error: require_once(): Failed opening required '/mysite/administrator/components/com_k2/controllers/usergroups.php' (include_path='.:/usr/share/pear:/usr/share/php') in /mysite/administrator/components/com_k2/admin.k2.php on line 119, referer: mymachine.mydomain.commysite/administrator/index.php?option=com_k2&view=info

Line 119 in administrator/components/com_k2/admin.k2.php is:

require_once (JPATH_COMPONENT.DS.'controllers'.DS.$controller.'.php');

Thanks again.

Sincerely,
reddeer

Here's the K2 information listing:

Web Server Apache/2.2.15 (CentOS)
PHP version 5.3.3
MySQL version 5.1.61
GD image library bundled (2.0.34 compatible)
Multibyte string support Enabled
Upload limit 100M
Memory limit 256M
Open remote files (allow url fopen) Yes

Directory permissions report result Writable.

All K2 modules display installed.

All K2 Plugins (System, Module, and Search) display Installed - Enabled

• Red Deer
More
12 years 3 weeks ago #65476 by Red Deer
Hey Will,

I think we might know what the issue is and why the features work on Windows but not Linux. On the Linux system the names of files for User Groups, Extra Fields, and Extra Field Groups appear to be camelcase. Linux is case sensitive, so when the references to all lowercase versions of the file names are made, it cannot find those file. No such problem for Windows... does this sound right to you?

I could try symlinking the file names on the Linux system to all lowercase names, but I don't know how many other places this might be needed. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Best regards,
reddeer

More
12 years 3 weeks ago #65477 by william white
You are correct that unix is more sensitive with filenames. I like the old 8+3 all lowercase, but at least do not use any spaces or special characters in unix filenames. Case should be correct.
Since i dont have problems and it seems that others done either with extra field groups and extra fields i dont think the filenames are an issue, as k2 stores the extra fields in a single column in the k2 item table, it uses the xtra field group, and extrafield tables to know what to store, and how to label it. I have never had to change anything in the code to get the xtra fields to work. Be sure that the group names and field names conform to unix standards...

• Red Deer
More
12 years 3 weeks ago #65478 by Red Deer
Thanks for the reply.

I guess I did not explain very clearly.

The files that were installed in the /administrator/components/com_k2/controllers directory were named:

extraField.php
extraFieldsGroup.php
extraFieldsGroups.php
extraFields.php
userGroup.php
userGroups.php

(All other files in that directory have lowercase names.)

The error that refers to the all lowercase name call to usergroups.php:

PHP Warning: require_once(/mypath/administrator/components/com_k2/controllers/usergroups.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /mypath/administrator/components/com_k2/admin.k2.php on line 119, referer: mysite/intellisci/administrator/index.php?option=com_k2&view=info

which makes sense if the file is actually named userGroups.php, not usergroups.php as the expanded code expects.

That said, I noticed that the K2 version reported on the K2 information page was 2.5.4, soooo I went to the fabulous K2 site to see whether there was a more current version of K2 and there was, so I downloaded and installed K2 2.5.6. Presto! Happy, happy, joy, joy! I can access User Groups, Extra Fields, and Extra Field Groups. :woohoo:

Just for fun, I checked the contents of administrator/components/com_k2/controllers and the file names still have the previous installation's timestamp, date, and camelcase names. :whistle:

I guess when in doubt, reboot, er, reinstall. Thanks so much for your time, Will! :cheer:

Best regards,
reddeer

More
11 years 9 months ago #65479 by Ferhat
i am getting the problem of showing blank screen for K2 usergroups,extra fields and extra field group...when i open these pages,,,,it is showing blank screen....help appreciated!!!1