Keyword

Items in Multiple Categories

More
13 years 8 months ago #68958 by Abdul Muhaymin
Replied by Abdul Muhaymin on topic Items in Multiple Categories
aaaaah.... i just need the function to put item in multiple categories, other all k2 is super .

irish said:so it has the functions you want but you will not buy it? hmmm...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 8 months ago #68959 by irish
Replied by irish on topic Items in Multiple Categories
With all of the discussion about multiple categories for an item, why do you need them? It is possible to link to fields and tags plus the weight of duplicate content and data storage on large sites if you are talking three copies of the same article item every time.

I am sure in your specific situation you may need it but are you sure there is not another answer in the layout of nested categories fields and extra field groups?

More
13 years 8 months ago #68960 by Abdul Muhaymin
Replied by Abdul Muhaymin on topic Items in Multiple Categories
Iam Running an mp3 website, Categorised into English and Malayalam. In my front page, visitors can see links to English and Malayalam. In English and malayalam, there is two sub category named Categorised by Artist, Categorised by Subject, (this option is there in both language), and there is many sub categories for that. Now when I make Item (think it is english mp3 by Artist - Muhaymin, and Subject - Social, so i need this item to be in both categories, which is not possible currently here. Is there any option.

Thanks Ivan, for having your valued time on me.
:)

irish said:With all of the discussion about multiple categories for an item, why do you need them? It is possible to link to fields and tags plus the weight of duplicate content and data storage on large sites if you are talking three copies of the same article item every time.
I am sure in your specific situation you may need it but are you sure there is not another answer in the layout of nested categories fields and extra field groups?

More
13 years 5 months ago #68961 by HankBrown
Replied by HankBrown on topic Items in Multiple Categories
Hello everyone ... I am currently keeping myself busy with K2 too and just as all the other here I am looking for multi-category publishing of a single item! However, during my research for a solution I came across a thread in people.joomla.org ... check it out: people.joomla.org/groups/viewdiscussion/112-Multiple+Categories+for+Items.html?groupid=47

Apparently this guy, named Jason Hart, did some work on an own MultiCat-solution for K2 already. Sure, it is only an Aplha-Version and only in combination with K2 v.2.2 but it might be a good start for a complete solution to our all problem ... don't you think so too? I am unfortunately not a professional progammer myself but maybe you guys or the people of the K2-development team can give this guy Jason Hart a hand in what he already has started ...

Here is his website with the current Alpha-Version of K2 MultiCat as download: www.developmii.com/downloads/k2-multicat.html

More
13 years 5 months ago #68962 by irish
Replied by irish on topic Items in Multiple Categories
Then why not list the title as
"the song or mp3 name"(english)
"the song or mp3 name"(malayalam) etc. within the same category.

Abdul Muhaymin said:Iam Running an mp3 website, Categorised into English and Malayalam. In my front page, visitors can see links to English and Malayalam. In English and malayalam, there is two sub category named Categorised by Artist, Categorised by Subject, (this option is there in both language), and there is many sub categories for that. Now when I make Item (think it is english mp3 by Artist - Muhaymin, and Subject - Social, so i need this item to be in both categories, which is not possible currently here. Is there any option.
Thanks Ivan, for having your valued time on me.
:)

irish said:With all of the discussion about multiple categories for an item, why do you need them? It is possible to link to fields and tags plus the weight of duplicate content and data storage on large sites if you are talking three copies of the same article item every time. I am sure in your specific situation you may need it but are you sure there is not another answer in the layout of nested categories fields and extra field groups?

More
13 years 5 months ago #68963 by HankBrown
Replied by HankBrown on topic Items in Multiple Categories
Hi Balgas ... you're welcome ... I am happy that I could be of help in this "particular" issue ;).
If you wanna do me a favour then please keep me updated on your progress ... would be nice to know if you can come up with a proper MultiCat-solution :). Thanks and good luck.

Balgas said:Wow nice ! I'll lookink for it tomorow ! Thx for the link.

More
13 years 5 months ago #68964 by Daniel Stein
Replied by Daniel Stein on topic Items in Multiple Categories
There were some previous comments asking reasons or examples why this would be needed. In my case, I'd like to have 'product categories' section and 'manufacturers' section that lead to the same item. That's a really big and basic example. I could just do all the manufacturers as a tag, but I'd rather use the tags for specific properties of an item.

OT, but not really: I do feel that the current handling of k2/k2mart/virtuemart and 'manufactures' is a bit wonky and ugly to deal with. I'd rather when they click 'manufacturer' on an item page, they go to something k2 and not back into virtuemart where prior to k2 it would display all items of a 'manuf', but will not now that k2 took over. If that makes sense? I could be doing it wrong as well...

Tags do seem the obvious solution, but again, many of us need or would like to use the tag system for 'recycled material' instead of 'BRAND X', and other endless examples. Maybe the tag system needs its own categories to achieve this? Maybe that's already there and I haven't played around enough?

More
13 years 5 months ago #68965 by jfreeze
Replied by jfreeze on topic Items in Multiple Categories
zach s said:There were some previous comments asking reasons or examples why this would be needed. In my case, I'd like to have 'product categories' section and 'manufacturers' section that lead to the same item. That's a really big and basic example. I could just do all the manufacturers as a tag, but I'd rather use the tags for specific properties of an item.
OT, but not really: I do feel that the current handling of k2/k2mart/virtuemart and 'manufactures' is a bit wonky and ugly to deal with. I'd rather when they click 'manufacturer' on an item page, they go to something k2 and not back into virtuemart where prior to k2 it would display all items of a 'manuf', but will not now that k2 took over. If that makes sense? I could be doing it wrong as well...

Tags do seem the obvious solution, but again, many of us need or would like to use the tag system for 'recycled material' instead of 'BRAND X', and other endless examples. Maybe the tag system needs its own categories to achieve this? Maybe that's already there and I haven't played around enough?

I would look at using k2's author function to handle manufacturers... and if you are building from scratch I would suggest you heavily consider Tienda (from dioscouri.com) as a VirtueMart alternative. K2 has a plugin for integrating with Tienda.

More
13 years 4 months ago #68966 by FidelGonzales
Replied by FidelGonzales on topic Items in Multiple Categories
What follows is an excerpt of a post I made upon another thread regarding the capability of placing an item within multiple categories, which is a logical feature for a variety of content producers. 

Just to clarify, as it stands now for a user, there can be three different pages referencing a user. Here is an outline of them as well
as their limitations.

TAG PAGE - All references to a user via tags is listed on the
more SEO rich tag page. This doesn't have a description for additional
information and thereby does not process a plugin. The content that does
exist on this page can generally be more numerous and targeted at the
user's tag. The only way to provide additional information would be via
published modules. FEATURE REQUEST - Provide the functionality to optionally include a Joomla plugin-processing description for individual tags. FEATURE REQUEST -
Provide the functionality to be able to redirect the tag to a different
URL, which could be used to monetize such a functionality from
advertising platforms in conjunction with available analytical tracking
capabilities.

USER PAGE - As a user, particularly as a content-producing user,
that user is given a user page, where plugins are not processed, and the
only content that exists upon that page is that which the person
produces. Perhaps, an additional field can be provided to place a link
to the content page referenced below, or better yet, the code could be
hacked and the link to the user page instead refer to the content item. FEATURE REQUEST - - Enable the capability to process Joomla plugins within the description. FEATURE REQUEST - Enable the capability to redirect default user link to other URL.

CONTENT PAGE - As a content page dedicated to the user, it
processes plugins. Therefore, there is no need to orchestrate a
cumbersome array of template module positions to assist in publishing of
related content items, as it can be published via plugin within
content, which is much easier to manage via one content item. The
drawback here is that this creates a third reference to the person,
making navigation cumbersome to the website visitor seeking additional
information on the person. It also create another reference for SEO
purposes.

James Friesen said:

zach s said:
There were some previous comments asking reasons or examples why this would be needed. In my case, I'd like to have 'product categories' section and 'manufacturers' section that lead to the same item. That's a really big and basic example. I could just do all the manufacturers as a tag, but I'd rather use the tags for specific properties of an item. OT, but not really: I do feel that the current handling of k2/k2mart/virtuemart and 'manufactures' is a bit wonky and ugly to deal with. I'd rather when they click 'manufacturer' on an item page, they go to something k2 and not back into virtuemart where prior to k2 it would display all items of a 'manuf', but will not now that k2 took over. If that makes sense? I could be doing it wrong as well...

I would look at using k2's author function to handle manufacturers... and if you are building from scratch I would suggest you heavily consider Tienda (from dioscouri.com) as a VirtueMart alternative. K2 has a plugin for integrating with Tienda.

• kiril Hristov Yovev
More
13 years 4 months ago #68967 by kiril Hristov Yovev
Replied by kiril Hristov Yovev on topic Items in Multiple Categories
This is so important feature... What are you waiting for? Create it, do it, develop it! There are a hundreds of people that would use this kind of functionallity