Keyword

Default (Frontpage) Layout

• will ber
  • will ber's Avatar Topic Author
More
14 years 10 months ago #69031 by will ber
Default (Frontpage) Layout was created by will ber
hi, sorry for my english, i'm italian.
i would know if in k2 v2 is possible menù like "Default (Frontpage) Layout"...when i go to create a new menù i can't see the option "Default (Frontpage) Layout" but there is in the precedent version!

i would see the home page with categories!!

EDIT:
in others words...
from the forum:
1. I can't recreate initial K2 frontpage, the beautiful way of displaying categories in multiple categories from first version of K2. Maybe because i don't have this option in menu?

K2

Item Layout
o
Item Layout
Item Listing Layout
o
Categories - this is what i use- show only items, no categories
o
Tag
o
User Page (blog)

I don't want items in frontpage, just categories i choose to display. How can i do that?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• will ber
  • will ber's Avatar Topic Author
More
14 years 10 months ago #69032 by will ber
Replied by will ber on topic Default (Frontpage) Layout
i can't find the option, for me it's impossible see the visual like in the old version...

i want "Default (Frontpage) Layout"!!! :(

More
14 years 10 months ago #69033 by bunglehaze
Replied by bunglehaze on topic Default (Frontpage) Layout
I have posted already a guide on how to make the frontpage work as you want will ber. I know you want a frontpage setting but you can make it do what you want by following the info I posted (in the v2 thread in announcements)

Go to: www.bikechatter.co.uk/articles.html and you will see the categories, the only difference is that I enabled the ' show subcategory items' setting in the category settings

leigh

More
14 years 10 months ago #69034 by Sharon Sobieszczyk
Replied by Sharon Sobieszczyk on topic Default (Frontpage) Layout
The option is in Components > K2 > Enter a category > Category view options > Show also child's categories items.

The trick seems to be that you have to create a top-level K2 category (let's call it "Home"), and set the above option for that category. Now, go into all the other top-level categories you want included on the home page, and change the Parent from Top to Home.

For the menu button, set it for just the Home category, not all categories. Now it will generate the second-level categories (which were formerly top-level) without the items.

If support is added for assigning multiple categories, we could actually generate several different "Home" pages this way. Now that would be sweet.

More
14 years 10 months ago #69035 by bunglehaze
silversas, have you figured out any way to control urls with V2? I am having a nightmare of a time getting modules placed because none of the urls are consistant - have alook at the difference between:

www.bikechatter.co.uk/articles.html and

www.bikechatter.co.uk/bike-models.html

Both were set up the same way and yet they develop 2 completely different URL paths, the same goes if you check the URL's coming from the articles on the homepage... I am very VERY confused about how the hell to control my site at the moment..

**edited - forget the difference between the /articles and /bike-index links they seem to have sorted after a cache clean, the frontpage article links are still problematic though.

leigh :D

More
14 years 10 months ago #69036 by bunglehaze
Not to worry, the answer to all my prayers has occured and its a pretty obvious answer at that - DOH!

To create the home menu create a category called home, main or whatever you want, then setup the rest of the cats under that. works perfectly now! Very happy with how that turned out - though simple it really is not that easy to do without messing though - I guess this is where docs will help.

leigh :D

More
14 years 10 months ago #69037 by Sharon Sobieszczyk
I'm getting 404'd on that second link. Not sure in any case... I'm adding modules based on Menu Assignments rather than to individual articles, so far.

More
14 years 10 months ago #69038 by Sharon Sobieszczyk
Ha... Well, Leigh, I have learned that a) I type slowly, and b) you are clearly a ninja. Glad it worked out. :)

• Mauricio González
More
14 years 10 months ago #69039 by Mauricio González
Replied by Mauricio González on topic Default (Frontpage) Layout
im trying to figure out this same problem. You can always download the older version... but it doesn't make sense. There has to be a way.

• Mauricio González
More
14 years 10 months ago #69040 by Mauricio González
Replied by Mauricio González on topic Default (Frontpage) Layout
bieeeen! thank you. I wil try this out.