• lee Wilson
  • lee Wilson's Avatar Topic Author
More
14 years 8 months ago #72820 by lee Wilson
Columns in IE vs FF was created by lee Wilson
Hi,

I've set my columns to 2.

In FF this is fine.

In IE the columns are under each other in a single column.

Can you tell me how I force it to 2 columns ?

I see some people with similar issues, and a few statements saying add template width to css file. Whereabouts do I add this to the css and what should this line look like ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 8 months ago #72821 by Lefteris
Replied by Lefteris on topic Columns in IE vs FF
Hi. This is clearly a CSS issue so please check your CSS code....

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---
Please search the forum before posting a new topic :)

• lee Wilson
More
14 years 8 months ago #72822 by lee Wilson
Replied by lee Wilson on topic Columns in IE vs FF
Ok, that may be the problem, but this is the default template supplied with K2. So this is inherently a K2 issue as several people have reported the same.

More
14 years 7 months ago #72823 by Flesk I.T.
Replied by Flesk I.T. on topic Columns in IE vs FF
Hi Lee,

Did you ever find a solution to this as I am finding the same. Everything works fine in IE8, FF and so on but IE7 fails to render properly. I have checked everything I could think of in the CSS but cannot find a problem.

Bill

• lee Wilson
More
14 years 7 months ago #72824 by lee Wilson
Sorry, I could not find a solution.

In the end I used yootheme's Zoo product instead.

Bill Garrett said:Hi Lee,Did you ever find a solution to this as I am finding the same. Everything works fine in IE8, FF and so on but IE7 fails to render properly. I have checked everything I could think of in the CSS but cannot find a problem.Bill

More
14 years 7 months ago #72825 by Flesk I.T.
Replied by Flesk I.T. on topic Columns in IE vs FF
Hi Everyone,

Well here is the answer;

This is an IE6 and IE7 issue.

In the components/com_k2/templates/default/category.php (be aware that some templates particularly those from rocketthemes may over-ride this file, if they do apply this fix in the template file not the com_k2 file) there are a number of lines that look like this:

params->get('num_leading_columns'), 1); ?>%;">
This produces a link rather like this in the rendered html:

This statement divides the available space by the number of columns required by K2. IE6 and IE7 both have a problem with this and essentially miss the width specification in the html and resort to a single column.

If you change the lines in category.php to read like this:

params->get('num_leading_columns'), 1); ?>%:#width:%:_width:%;">
You get a line in the rendered html that reads:

FF. IE8 etc will read the first width definition, IE7 will read the second and IE6 will read the third. This solves the problem for me.

Bill

More
13 years 10 months ago #72826 by krmr
Replied by krmr on topic Columns in IE vs FF
Hi there! I have been fighting this issue with no luck. I did what was suggested as a change in the code of category.php

Unfortunately, while it works for IE all versions, it does not work for FF, Safari... seems this change of code breaks the first % string somehow.

Any suggestions how to handle this?
10x in advance

Bill Garrett said:Hi Everyone,
Well here is the answer;

In the components/com_k2/templates/default/category.php (be aware that some templates particularly those from rocketthemes may over-ride this file, if they do apply this fix in the template file not the com_k2 file) there are a number of lines that look like this:

params->get('num_leading_columns'), 1); ?>%;"> This produces a link rather like this in the rendered html:

This statement divides the available space by the number of columns required by K2. IE6 and IE7 both have a problem with this and essentially miss the width specification in the html and resort to a single column.

params->get('num_leading_columns'), 1); ?>%:#width:%:_width:%;"> You get a line in the rendered html that reads:

FF. IE8 etc will read the first width definition, IE7 will read the second and IE6 will read the third. This solves the problem for me.

Bill

More
13 years 7 months ago #72827 by krmr
Replied by krmr on topic Columns in IE vs FF
so, no solution for the miscalculated display of the 2 columns in k2!?

meanwhile I just checked the demo site of k2: it has the same problem in IE6 - the 2 columns are rendered as 1, leaving the 2nd column under the first, which looks weird for sure...

any suggestions in the direction Bill Garrett made?

krmr trzv said:Hi there! I have been fighting this issue with no luck. I did what was suggested as a change in the code of category.php
Unfortunately, while it works for IE all versions, it does not work for FF, Safari... seems this change of code breaks the first % string somehow.

10x in advance

Bill Garrett said:Hi Everyone, Well here is the answer;

params->get('num_leading_columns'), 1); ?>%;"> This produces a link rather like this in the rendered html:

params->get('num_leading_columns'), 1); ?>%:#width:%:_width:%;"> You get a line in the rendered html that reads:

Bill

• lee Wilson
More
13 years 7 months ago #72828 by lee Wilson
Tow easy solutions

1) use yootheme zoo

or dependant upon your requirements

2) I can highly recommend jreviews

I use both.... no problems. The creator of jreviews is also extremenly good on support.

Goodluck

:-)

krmr trzv said:so, no solution for the miscalculated display of the 2 columns in k2!?
meanwhile I just checked the demo site of k2: it has the same problem in IE6 - the 2 columns are rendered as 1, leaving the 2nd column under the first, which looks weird for sure...

any suggestions in the direction Bill Garrett made?

krmr trzv said:Hi there! I have been fighting this issue with no luck. I did what was suggested as a change in the code of category.php Unfortunately, while it works for IE all versions, it does not work for FF, Safari... seems this change of code breaks the first % string somehow.

10x in advance

Bill Garrett said:Hi Everyone, Well here is the answer;

params->get('num_leading_columns'), 1); ?>%;"> This produces a link rather like this in the rendered html: This statement divides the available space by the number of columns required by K2. IE6 and IE7 both have a problem with this and essentially miss the width specification in the html and resort to a single column. If you change the lines in category.php to read like this:

Bill

More
13 years 6 months ago #72829 by Clay Berish
Replied by Clay Berish on topic Columns in IE vs FF
This is still coming up for me...it works for IE7 when Leading is being used as the primary item displayer, but not IE8.

When I switch to Primary count as the item display, IE8 is fine, but IE7 is not.

Anyone else have a work around?

I think I remember seeing a thread that mentioned a width being set at 50% wide. Where is that found? Not in the K2 css file...did a search for that.

Okay, here is another thought...are there any K2 ready templates that work? I can install and pick through them...maybe a simple Css mod...maybe be a PHP tweak.

Does anyone have this running and working?

-Clay