Keyword

different header images when readmore is clicked from category layout on homepgae

• Ken Marold
  • Ken Marold's Avatar Topic Author
More
14 years 6 months ago #74752 by Ken Marold
i've got a category listing of articles on my homepage and when i click on readmore it opens the article but shows the same header/logo and modules that are on the homepage, is there a way that when the readmore button is clicked it takes me to a new page with its own unique header/logo and module confuguration? to see what I'm talking about: www.plainsightmag.com thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 5 months ago #74753 by Tyler Wall
I am having the same issue, this is a big issue and I would really appreciate it if someone has a workaround for it.

More
14 years 5 months ago #74754 by bkemler
This happens because once you've created a menu item of an itemlist for a category, that category and that menu item are permanently linked together. I wanted the same results as what you want so my workaround was to create a k2 content module showing items from the category, then load that module within a K2 item (or you could load it in a regular Joomla article if you wanted- doesn't matter) using the ND Load Module Plug In, which I find more useful than the core Load Module plug in. Then I made the home page menu item show that K2 item with the module in it. And I made a menu item for the category with the appropriate modules on it.

Tyler Wall said:I am having the same issue, this is a big issue and I would really appreciate it if someone has a workaround for it.

More
14 years 5 months ago #74755 by Tyler Wall
My entire problem revolved around having not creating a menu item for the parent and children category, interestingly enough I had to include all the categories within the parent and set the option for getting children items to "no" and then it worked. By worked I mean it no longer opened the articles with the front page template.

I am interested in the "ND load module" though, is it on the Joomla extensions page?

B Kemler said:This happens because once you've created a menu item of an itemlist for a category, that category and that menu item are permanently linked together. I wanted the same results as what you want so my workaround was to create a k2 content module showing items from the category, then load that module within a K2 item (or you could load it in a regular Joomla article if you wanted- doesn't matter) using the ND Load Module Plug In, which I find more useful than the core Load Module plug in. Then I made the home page menu item show that K2 item with the module in it. And I made a menu item for the category with the appropriate modules on it.
Tyler Wall said:I am having the same issue, this is a big issue and I would really appreciate it if someone has a workaround for it.

More
14 years 5 months ago #74756 by Jonathan Heath
I think the ND load module must be this - looks very good.

extensions.joomla.org/extensions/core-enhancements/embed-a-include/5817

Tyler Wall said:Thanks :)My entire problem revolved around having not creating a menu item for the parent and children category, interestingly enough I had to include all the categories within the parent and set the option for getting children items to "no" and then it worked. By worked I mean it no longer opened the articles with the front page template.I am interested in the "ND load module" though, is it on the Joomla extensions page?B Kemler said:This happens because once you've created a menu item of an itemlist for a category, that category and that menu item are permanently linked together. I wanted the same results as what you want so my workaround was to create a k2 content module showing items from the category, then load that module within a K2 item (or you could load it in a regular Joomla article if you wanted- doesn't matter) using the ND Load Module Plug In, which I find more useful than the core Load Module plug in. Then I made the home page menu item show that K2 item with the module in it. And I made a menu item for the category with the appropriate modules on it.Tyler Wall said:I am having the same issue, this is a big issue and I would really appreciate it if someone has a workaround for it.

More
14 years 5 months ago #74757 by Tyler Wall
Thank you, much appreciated. Looks like a very useful plugin.

Jon Heath said:I think the ND load module must be this - looks very good.
extensions.joomla.org/extensions/core-enhancements/embed-a-i...

Tyler Wall said:Thanks :)My entire problem revolved around having not creating a menu item for the parent and children category, interestingly enough I had to include all the categories within the parent and set the option for getting children items to "no" and then it worked. By worked I mean it no longer opened the articles with the front page template.I am interested in the "ND load module" though, is it on the Joomla extensions page?B Kemler said:This happens because once you've created a menu item of an itemlist for a category, that category and that menu item are permanently linked together. I wanted the same results as what you want so my workaround was to create a k2 content module showing items from the category, then load that module within a K2 item (or you could load it in a regular Joomla article if you wanted- doesn't matter) using the ND Load Module Plug In, which I find more useful than the core Load Module plug in. Then I made the home page menu item show that K2 item with the module in it. And I made a menu item for the category with the appropriate modules on it.Tyler Wall said:I am having the same issue, this is a big issue and I would really appreciate it if someone has a workaround for it.

More
14 years 5 months ago #74758 by bkemler
Yes, in the case of showing articles from multiple different categories, you can use the workaround you did... make a menu item where you select the parent category and select yes for fetching the child categories and have that menu item show the modules that you want to show around the items when you click through to them. And then make the front page menu item by selecting the parent and also select all the child categories, rather than fetching them as children. The former will figure out which items to show via the k2 categories and the latter will figure out which items to show via the menu Itemid.

However, if you're only showing one category on your front page (like my site), I think the only workaround is to display that category in a module on the front page. Because I think you can only have one view of a particular category. I could be wrong but that's what I recall from when I was playing around with it. Just in case that's helpful for someone else with this issue who's trying to only display one category on their front page!

Tyler Wall said:Thanks :) My entire problem revolved around having not creating a menu item for the parent and children category, interestingly enough I had to include all the categories within the parent and set the option for getting children items to "no" and then it worked. By worked I mean it no longer opened the articles with the front page template.

I am interested in the "ND load module" though, is it on the Joomla extensions page?

B Kemler said:This happens because once you've created a menu item of an itemlist for a category, that category and that menu item are permanently linked together. I wanted the same results as what you want so my workaround was to create a k2 content module showing items from the category, then load that module within a K2 item (or you could load it in a regular Joomla article if you wanted- doesn't matter) using the ND Load Module Plug In, which I find more useful than the core Load Module plug in. Then I made the home page menu item show that K2 item with the module in it. And I made a menu item for the category with the appropriate modules on it. Tyler Wall said:I am having the same issue, this is a big issue and I would really appreciate it if someone has a workaround for it.

More
13 years 10 months ago #74759 by Jinto Jose
It seems like almost same of what I am looking for. What I want to implement is described below:
1. On the header, three blocks are given. Each block contains a title, image, short description and a read more link.
2. I want the blocks to display the contents from three main pages on the home page. Suppose that the three pages to be added on the blocks on the home page are Section 1, Section 2 and Section 3. Each section has got several pages under it. For example, for Section 1, the sub pages are subsection 1, subsection 2, subsection 3 etc. Same is the case for each section. What I want is on home page, display the Section 1, Section 2 and Section 3. And, if we are on an inner page of a Section, show the subsections on the block. ie. If the user is in page subsection 1, then the blocks should be subsection 1, subsection 2 and subsection 3.

Hope I made my point clear. I am very new to this Joomla and K2. So, please don't feel bad, if I am asking in a wrong way.

Please help me on this. Thanks.

More
13 years 10 months ago #74760 by william white
The site you refer to seems to use a slide show module in the header or a top position with home and contact at the top of the template. You can create multiple copies of the same module and turn them on only on selected pages or even use different modules on different pages to acheive this affect

More
13 years 10 months ago #74761 by Jinto Jose
Thanks very much for your help. Would you please give me an example code doing that? Do we need to add this checking in index.php?

if(page=subsection1)
insert module 1
else if(page=subsection5)
insert module 1

is the logic like this? I am very new to this. Please help me.

William White said:The site you refer to seems to use a slide show module in the header or a top position with home and contact at the top of the template. You can create multiple copies of the same module and turn them on only on selected pages or even use different modules on different pages to acheive this affect