Keyword

How can I make this type of functionality?

• Buddy Q
  • Buddy Q's Avatar Topic Author
More
14 years 2 months ago #79197 by Buddy Q
The pieces in red indicate "common" areas of the layout differences. I would like to have a template for a listing that will let me have 3 fields and a picture. Not a problem, I can do that and the layout part. But I want a radio box or category, whichever is easier to pick from that says the listing is either "sold" or "active" if its active, it will show in my listings with the formatting shown. If I change to "sold" it will only be shown under "Sold Listings" with the formatting shown.

If I make categories of "active" and "sold" how can I show both categories on the same page at once? Is there a way without plugin code? How would I edit the individual listings?

My goal is to have no plugin code and listings be editable from the front-end of the site. How can I do that?

Thanks in advance.

Buddy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 2 months ago #79198 by Gobezu Sewu
Replied by Gobezu Sewu on topic How can I make this type of functionality?
i would suggest that you dedicate 1 position within your template where you load 2 varying instances of the mod_k2_content module where the first instance would filter on the non-sold listings and the second instance would filter on the sold listings

this would give you every thinkable flexibility and also is editable

i am sorry to say if you are looking for another setup then you would need to take a good look at the category view and it would require a certain amount of coding and would hardly become a good solution either and would give you a stale k2 setup with no future upgrades. there is besides this issue of how you would discriminate between sold and non-sold categories, where the only means i see is by having some logic in the naming of the categories or hard code the sold/non-sold ones, the nightmare multiplied i would say

let us know how you progress on this one

• Buddy Q
More
14 years 2 months ago #79199 by Buddy Q
Replied by Buddy Q on topic How can I make this type of functionality?
OKay. I have been playing with this and have my categories setup and everything I can do with a custom template i've made. I gotta say. I love how easy it is to manage the templates for each category. Pretty sweet.

I have one missing piece to this puzzle. I have a menu item that is pointing to K2 >> Itemlist / Category

I have my categories "Active" and "Sold" selected and all is good. The thing that is missing from the page that I don't know how to do is print the category above each section. I know it can show "Published in...." but I dont want that to show on each item. I want to hide that all together. What I want is like I have my picture were it will print the category once above the group for each category. Exactly like I have it in my example above. How can I do that?

• olsen
  • Elite Member
  • Joomla and K2 Freelancer
More
14 years 2 months ago #79200 by olsen
Replied by olsen on topic How can I make this type of functionality?
Cathegory block for example????

Buddy Q said:OKay. I have been playing with this and have my categories setup and everything I can do with a custom template i've made. I gotta say. I love how easy it is to manage the templates for each category. Pretty sweet.
I have one missing piece to this puzzle. I have a menu item that is pointing to K2 >> Itemlist / Category

I have my categories "Active" and "Sold" selected and all is good. The thing that is missing from the page that I don't know how to do is print the category above each section. I know it can show "Published in...." but I dont want that to show on each item. I want to hide that all together. What I want is like I have my picture were it will print the category once above the group for each category. Exactly like I have it in my example above. How can I do that?

Didn't solve your issues?? Why dont you consider hire me? Email me or contact me www.xevedigital.com for details

• Buddy Q
More
14 years 2 months ago #79201 by Buddy Q
Category block? I will look that up I guess. But I want to bring in blocks from multiple categories on one page without using plugin code. Possible?

Buddy

olsen said:Cathegory block for example????
Buddy Q said:OKay. I have been playing with this and have my categories setup and everything I can do with a custom template i've made. I gotta say. I love how easy it is to manage the templates for each category. Pretty sweet. I have one missing piece to this puzzle. I have a menu item that is pointing to K2 >> Itemlist / Category

• olsen
  • Elite Member
  • Joomla and K2 Freelancer
More
14 years 2 months ago #79202 by olsen
Replied by olsen on topic How can I make this type of functionality?
On the category_item view, there is posibility to show a div tag where appear category image, info, etc named css divcategoryblock and so on, and under this div more with subcategories if available or configured.
so as you want to show only on the top of the page use category info to show it, do you understand?? its just a suggestion but i can be wrong.

Didn't solve your issues?? Why dont you consider hire me? Email me or contact me www.xevedigital.com for details

• Buddy Q
More
14 years 2 months ago #79203 by Buddy Q
I tried putting making my categories sub-categories in hopes that it would work but it does not. I see the code you're talking about but it just does not seem to work that way. I have to come up with a way when its looping through the items but I'm not great at PHP. I'm thinking a while loop? If anybody could chime in on how I could do this please let me know. I just want to print the category above the group of items that belong to that category. When its done with that category and starts to print the next category, I would like to print anotherof the category name, then print out all of its items below it.
Buddy

olsen said:
On the category_item view, there is posibility to show a div tag where appear category image, info, etc named css divcategoryblock and so on, and under this div more with subcategories if available or configured. so as you want to show only on the top of the page use category info to show it, do you understand?? its just a suggestion but i can be wrong.

• Buddy Q
More
14 years 2 months ago #79204 by Buddy Q
I got my page looking like I wanted with a little PHP trickery, custom template, etc. Now for what should be the easy part.

How can I order which category is shown first? Seems like this should be an option in the menu options for K2 > list categories

However, in my K2 backend:

Active Listings is ID 4 and order 4
Sold Listings is ID 5 and order 5.

Still the Sold Listings are showing first on the page:

311addieroy.com/listings

Please help.

More
14 years 1 week ago #79205 by Emily Pearce
Replied by Emily Pearce on topic How can I make this type of functionality?
Hi Buddy
Would you be able to share your custom template with me for your category set-up. I would really like to show a list of items that belong to a category below the category title - instead of as a list at the bottom of the all the categories. I've had a go at playing around with the template but cannot seem to get it to do what I want.
Perhaps you can point me in the right direction as you seem to have got it to work perfectly :)
Cheers
Emily

Buddy Q said:I got my page looking like I wanted with a little PHP trickery, custom template, etc. Now for what should be the easy part.
How can I order which category is shown first? Seems like this should be an option in the menu options for K2 > list categories

311addieroy.com/listings

Please help.

• Buddy Q
More
14 years 1 week ago #79206 by Buddy Q
Hi Emily,

I am just going to upload my entire custom template folder I made. I don't have time to go through it right now and tell you what I did but I thought you can just have it and take a look at it. If I remember correctly, there is some PHP somewhere I added to only show the category once unless its difference... ie: Active, Sold, etc... so it will show Active if its not shown, then list all of those, then print Sold, and then those listings.

Check it out and let me know if you have questions.

This would go inside your templates/[chosentemplate]/html/

If you dont have an html folder, just create one.

Buddy

Buddy

Emily Pearce said:Hi Buddy Would you be able to share your custom template with me for your category set-up. I would really like to show a list of items that belong to a category below the category title - instead of as a list at the bottom of the all the categories. I've had a go at playing around with the template but cannot seem to get it to do what I want.
Perhaps you can point me in the right direction as you seem to have got it to work perfectly :)
Cheers
Emily

Buddy Q said:I got my page looking like I wanted with a little PHP trickery, custom template, etc. Now for what should be the easy part. How can I order which category is shown first? Seems like this should be an option in the menu options for K2 > list categories

311addieroy.com/listings

Please help.
Attachments: