Keyword

Using Google maps in a K2 item - markers don't display properly, appears to be a js error

• Lorne VanSinclair
  • Lorne VanSinclair's Avatar Topic Author
More
14 years 1 month ago #80243 by Lorne VanSinclair
I am running K2 on a test site under development and have added a Google map to a number of pages using the Joomla Google map plugin. The map works fine - even the street view - except that any markets and the slider control are not transparent, which makes the marker useless. This does not happen on a standard Joomla article page, just on K2 items, same issue using Firefox and IE7. I also notice that the javascript in my menu (on a RocketTheme Kinetic template) sometimes - not always - stops working when there is a Google map on a K2 item page. It works fine when there is no map and everything works fine in a standard article. The page can be seen at www.vibrations.ca/wesellorilliacms/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=32:city-of-orillia&Itemid=21. There is no marker on the map as it obscures too much, but you can see the slider is not transparent. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 1 month ago #80244 by bushie
You haven't mentioned which Google Maps plugin you're using Lorne. I am about to embark on similar effort on my own K2 development site and am seeking suggestions for an extension to include in an additional field in a K2 content item.

Cheers,

• Lorne VanSinclair
More
14 years 1 month ago #80245 by Lorne VanSinclair
It's simply called googlemaps plug-in, their web site is tech.reumer.net/. It works well and is fairly easy to configure except for the marker problem. I've worked around it by putting the map in a standard Joomla article, enabling it using a hidden menu, then linking to the page in the K2 item, having it pop in a new window. Not the most elegant solution, but it works.

More
14 years 1 month ago #80246 by strummsteel
Can you give me more details on how you did this fix please? I need to incorporate this solution to my site too.

Thanks in advance.

Lorne VanSinclair said:It's simply called googlemaps plug-in, their web site is tech.reumer.net/. It works well and is fairly easy to configure except for the marker problem. I've worked around it by putting the map in a standard Joomla article, enabling it using a hidden menu, then linking to the page in the K2 item, having it pop in a new window. Not the most elegant solution, but it works.

• Lorne VanSinclair
More
14 years 1 month ago #80247 by Lorne VanSinclair
It's not really a fix, more of a work-around. I simply create a standard Joomla article, put the plug-in code in as normal plus any other explanation etc (like how to use the Street View, which is ultra cool). I also have a Hidden Menu, which is just a menu that is not enabled so it doesn't show anywhere but you can make any number of menu items in it which means you can create a link to your map in the k2 item in the normal way.

After getting some advice in this forum I also purchased Joomanager which is supposed to work much like K2 but is geared towards listing stuff for sale, especially real estate, but I must say I am not happy with it at this point and don't recommend it.

I hope this helps.

More
14 years 3 weeks ago #80248 by topspeeds
After getting some advice in this forum I also purchased Joomanager which is supposed to work much like K2 but is geared towards listing stuff for sale, especially real estate, but I must say I am not happy with it at this point and don't recommend it. methoo.com