Keyword

Problem using Google maps in K2

• Lorne VanSinclair
  • Lorne VanSinclair's Avatar Topic Author
More
13 years 11 months ago #80422 by Lorne VanSinclair
Replied by Lorne VanSinclair on topic Problem using Google maps in K2
Thanks Nick - the bit about the Item Intro Text is helpful and I look forward to your plug-in - being able to dynamically add multiple markers would be a great feature.

Nick Texidor said:I've just found this thread AFTER I discovered the 'fix' for this via a bit of CSSEdit work... however, in addition to the change mentioned in this thread, you may want to consider both the following, changes depending on how you use the maps:
Change
Line 158: div.itemFullText img {padding:2px;margin:4px;background:#fff;border:1px solid #ccc;}
To
Line 158: div.itemFullText img {padding:2px;margin:4px;border:1px solid #ccc;}

And change
Line 352: div.catItemIntroText img {padding:2px;margin:4px;background:#fff;border:1px solid #ccc;}
To
Line 352: div.catItemIntroText img {padding:2px;margin:4px;border:1px solid #ccc;}

I'm not using the Google Map plugin, preferring to use the K2 Maps plugin which only produces static maps. However, I've been developing a module for K2 to go with the K2 Maps plugin, which I'm basing on the ContentMap module. The idea is that it will dynamically take all the co-ordinates entered for a selected category and display markers on the map. I've just got a working version together, which you can see in action on www.gatorglob.com, but I'll tidy it all up and make it available soon!

All the best
Nick

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 11 months ago #80423 by Mark Banks
Replied by Mark Banks on topic Problem using Google maps in K2
@ Lorne - what steps did you have to take to enable the Google Map plugin to work with K2 and show the maps in the articles?
regards, Mark

• Nick Texidor
  • Visitor
13 years 11 months ago #80424 by Nick Texidor
Replied by Nick Texidor on topic Problem using Google maps in K2
I know you asked Lorne, Mark, but I thought I'd chime in with an answer. I'm sure Lorne will provide more details though.

I believe there are two options currently:

1) Using the K2 Fields plugin. I believe this works in conjunction with the GoogleMaps Plugin available on JED. You create an Extra Field of map type, where you can specify the latitude and longitude of the location, and the K2 Item uses the GoogleMaps plugin to create the map with the marker on it on the Item page.

2) Using the K2 Maps plugin. This is the method I used. You simply install and enabled the K2 Maps plugin, and it adds some extra input fields underneath the Item text. When the Item is then displayed via the front end, a map is displayed under the extra fields. You can see the K2 Maps plugin in action over on a site I'm currently putting together for a client, www.gatorglob.com, just click on any of the restaurants in the drop down in the left hand side. I have no affiliation with the developer of the K2 Maps plugin, except for fixing a few small issues with it for him, however as mentioned earlier, I'm currently just finishing up development of a K2 Maps Module, which you can see on the home page of the aforementioned site, which dynamically plots all the co-ordinates for items in a category. What I might do, if I get the time, is see whether it's possible for me to extend this K2 Maps Module to work with the K2 Fields option mentioned above. That way, you can choose either plugin to specify the co-ordinates and still have a dynamically updated map of all locations.

I hope you don't mind me stepping into your conversation!

N

Mark Banks said:@ Lorne - what steps did you have to take to enable the Google Map plugin to work with K2 and show the maps in the articles? regards, Mark

• Lorne VanSinclair
  • Lorne VanSinclair's Avatar Topic Author
More
13 years 11 months ago #80425 by Lorne VanSinclair
Replied by Lorne VanSinclair on topic Problem using Google maps in K2
The GoogleMaps plugin works without any changes, the problem was the transparency of the images. Mark's post above gives all the details, basically you edit the K2 css file to change the .itemFullText and .catItemIntroText classes to remove "background:#fff" and all is well.

Mark Banks said:@ Lorne - what steps did you have to take to enable the Google Map plugin to work with K2 and show the maps in the articles? regards, Mark

More
13 years 11 months ago #80426 by william white
Replied by william white on topic Problem using Google maps in K2
This will be a nice plugin...When will it be ready?

Nick Texidor said:I know you asked Lorne, Mark, but I thought I'd chime in with an answer. I'm sure Lorne will provide more details though.
I believe there are two options currently:

1) Using the K2 Fields plugin. I believe this works in conjunction with the GoogleMaps Plugin available on JED. You create an Extra Field of map type, where you can specify the latitude and longitude of the location, and the K2 Item uses the GoogleMaps plugin to create the map with the marker on it on the Item page.

2) Using the K2 Maps plugin. This is the method I used. You simply install and enabled the K2 Maps plugin, and it adds some extra input fields underneath the Item text. When the Item is then displayed via the front end, a map is displayed under the extra fields. You can see the K2 Maps plugin in action over on a site I'm currently putting together for a client, www.gatorglob.com, just click on any of the restaurants in the drop down in the left hand side. I have no affiliation with the developer of the K2 Maps plugin, except for fixing a few small issues with it for him, however as mentioned earlier, I'm currently just finishing up development of a K2 Maps Module, which you can see on the home page of the aforementioned site, which dynamically plots all the co-ordinates for items in a category. What I might do, if I get the time, is see whether it's possible for me to extend this K2 Maps Module to work with the K2 Fields option mentioned above. That way, you can choose either plugin to specify the co-ordinates and still have a dynamically updated map of all locations.

I hope you don't mind me stepping into your conversation!

N

More
13 years 11 months ago #80427 by Mark Banks
Hi Lorne and Nick, thanks for the replies and info regarding the plugins.
I'm going to try out the first option Nick describes, as I've hit two snags recently with the K2Joom plugin - I've detailed the snags to Simon in another post, however, in summary they are:
1. I'm having to swap the Google generated Long and Lat codes into the opposite fields (Long entered into latitude field and Lat entered into longitude field) on the item content form to get the correct location to display in the browser. If I don't do this, the map displays somewhere else on the globe.
2. I've also found that using the K2 Content Module to list Articles (i.e list articles from category) in a module with all other available options set to off/hide has resulted in the k2 list being displayed with the article title AND the google map beneath it.

I've set up a demo of the highlighting both problems here: www.mb-workshop.com/properties/projects
The two articles are K2 map test and K2 map test 2.

Are these problems that either of you have come across?
Regards
mark

• Nick Texidor
  • Visitor
13 years 11 months ago #80428 by Nick Texidor
Hi Mark,

The first problem you mentioned were included in the fixes I sent back to Simon. If you want me to send you an updated version of Simon's module, then send me a private message with your email address and I'll email it over to you. (I'm assuming we can do that on here? I'm new, so I haven't checked yet).

As for the K2 Content Module, I haven't actually used that module to list out any K2 Items, so I haven't come across it, but I can give it a try and see if I can add a fix in for it. But that's a very good point, as I think the Map comes in as part of the content, so I can see why it may be a problem. I'll give it a try this morning.

N

Mark Banks said:Hi Lorne and Nick, thanks for the replies and info regarding the plugins. I'm going to try out the first option Nick describes, as I've hit two snags recently with the K2Joom plugin - I've detailed the snags to Simon in another post, however, in summary they are:
1. I'm having to swap the Google generated Long and Lat codes into the opposite fields (Long entered into latitude field and Lat entered into longitude field) on the item content form to get the correct location to display in the browser. If I don't do this, the map displays somewhere else on the globe.
2. I've also found that using the K2 Content Module to list Articles (i.e list articles from category) in a module with all other available options set to off/hide has resulted in the k2 list being displayed with the article title AND the google map beneath it.

I've set up a demo of the highlighting both problems here: www.mb-workshop.com/properties/projects

Regards
mark

• Nick Texidor
  • Visitor
13 years 11 months ago #80429 by Nick Texidor
@William... Hopefully the first version will only be a few days away :^)

William White said:This will be a nice plugin...When will it be ready?

More
13 years 11 months ago #80430 by Mark Banks
Hi Nick, friend request sent - certainly interested in the updated plugin.
Simon (K2Joom) replied on both issues - the second is known about and is being looked into.
Rgds, Mark

Nick Texidor said:Hi Mark,
The first problem you mentioned were included in the fixes I sent back to Simon. If you want me to send you an updated version of Simon's module, then send me a private message with your email address and I'll email it over to you. (I'm assuming we can do that on here? I'm new, so I haven't checked yet).

As for the K2 Content Module, I haven't actually used that module to list out any K2 Items, so I haven't come across it, but I can give it a try and see if I can add a fix in for it. But that's a very good point, as I think the Map comes in as part of the content, so I can see why it may be a problem. I'll give it a try this morning.

N

Mark Banks said:Hi Lorne and Nick, thanks for the replies and info regarding the plugins. I'm going to try out the first option Nick describes, as I've hit two snags recently with the K2Joom plugin - I've detailed the snags to Simon in another post, however, in summary they are: 1. I'm having to swap the Google generated Long and Lat codes into the opposite fields (Long entered into latitude field and Lat entered into longitude field) on the item content form to get the correct location to display in the browser. If I don't do this, the map displays somewhere else on the globe.

Regards
mark

More
13 years 10 months ago #80431 by Vlastimil Vašek
Replied by Vlastimil Vašek on topic Problem using Google maps in K2
As I could not install the K2 Map plugin from Joomla Extension repository I coded my own.
It adds extra fields in K2 backend for category, user and item and show it in frontend.
You can creade your own div element for the map, e.g. in a custom modul. Highly customizable.
Works with K2 2.2 and 2.3.
Download:K2 Google Map plugin
Demo:K2 Google Map plugin demo