Keyword

K2-articles on Joomla Frontpage Blog layout

• Gorm Chandler
  • Gorm Chandler's Avatar Topic Author
More
14 years 5 days ago #82414 by Gorm Chandler
K2-articles on Joomla Frontpage Blog layout was created by Gorm Chandler
(edited on May 2)It seems to me that K2 lacks a function to get K2-articles viewed on the normal Joomla Core Front Page.  I have at least not found any way to get them viewed there. It would be logical if the Featured Article choice placed the articles there or had an added function to do it.I know of course how to place K2 Articles on a Start Page by assigning the Default Menu to a K2 Category or to All Categories filtered to view Featured articles only, which sort of sets a similar function as the Joomla core where you to just tick a box to place the article on the Front.Both of the above ways are fine as long as you do not have specific modules that you only want to appear on the Front Page, or not having any Modules at all.Let's assume this:
You have got a RocketTheme Showcase that you want to run on the Front Page only, not anywhere else. You do that by assigning the Showcase to the Default Home Menu. When using the normal Joomla Core, the Showcase will be displayed ONLY on the Front page but not so using K2.
When using K2 for your Front Page articles you select them by assigning all K2 Categories to the Default Home page, filtered to view Featured Articles Only. If Front Page Articles are displayed with only Introductory text visitors will then click the Title links or Read more.... for the full stories. They will then be directed from the Front Page Blog View to a Single Page View.
In the normal Joomla the Showcase will be turned off when leaving the Front Page but with K2 the Showcase will still be running and that is surely not what we want. The Single Page should clean from Front Page modules.

Perhaps the problem can be solved by adding a program switch to set Modules not to be viewed on Single Pages but that is rather a Joomla core issue.If I am wrong in my Front Page thoughts, I'd sure like to know. If not I hope that the developers add a Featured Article function that will get them viewed on the normal Joomla Front Page.Regards.Gorm

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 11 months ago #82415 by Mongo
It's simple bro.. K2 is lacking a lot of things, when the decision was made to omit com_content as the base level K2's ping pongs balls where cut off. Unfortunately you won't get a reply nor a comment on this issue, I really expect this post to be deleted after I comment here. Now K2 is beautiful if you don't need to display it's content on the front page or display it's content in a template based module based on com_content. LOL considering all the templates are com_content based WTF was going on. I own Jreviews, K2 made me appreciate it. I would advise the editors of K2 to follow suite.

• Gorm Chandler
More
13 years 11 months ago #82416 by Gorm Chandler
Replied by Gorm Chandler on topic K2-articles on Joomla Frontpage Blog layout
Thanks Mongo

Interesting.

Gorm

More
13 years 11 months ago #82417 by william white

More
13 years 11 months ago #82418 by Mongo
William Thank you, was some good reading, but doesn't address the issue. When a designer graduates to a certain level.. his front page isn't a blog but a work of art. There is a phsychology in the design of a web page, dealing with the viewers attention span, the way their eyes travel on the page and color manipulation. To do this you need total control of the layout. When every webpage was static, there was no problem with this because you placed everything based on design or template image. But when pages became dynamic and predefined positions on the templates dictated the design, phsychology came into play.

I can rant on and on but I need to be able to put K2 content in a module designed for the template at hand. SO.. lol a plugin needs to be made to do this. I can't do it or it would have already been done. But I know enough about to coding to know it can be done.

• Gorm Chandler
More
13 years 11 months ago #82419 by Gorm Chandler
Replied by Gorm Chandler on topic K2-articles on Joomla Frontpage Blog layout
William!
I wrote the following in my initial post:

When using K2 for your Front Page articles you select them by assigning all K2 Categories to the Default Home page, filtered to view Featured Articles Only.

Now, by default Home I assumed that I made it clear that it is a Menu item choice, i.e. the Menu item which defines the Start, Home, Front page or what ever you name the first page that visitors land on.

After having read Mongo's reply and thus learnt the about the background, i.e. shortcoming of K2ö I sure hope that those having access to the K2 codebase add the lacking content modules. K2 deserve this as it is in many other ways a very nice plugin.

I very much agree on what Mongo has added about front page design. The reason we use Joomla is exactly that, dynamics.

Gorm
William White said:Have you read this thread? community.getk2.org/forum/topics/howto-add-k2-item-on-joomla...

More
13 years 11 months ago #82420 by william white
Replied by william white on topic K2-articles on Joomla Frontpage Blog layout
Have you or do either of you know where there discussion of how to best use CMS dynamics and mixing them with the "design" ideas in some manner while attempting to use the phsychology of the web page. Maby a better way to ask - Is there discussion of the Joomla/K2 Atricle/Item design within the content area as limited that best presents pages to the viewers?

More
13 years 11 months ago #82421 by Mongo
""Is there discussion of the Joomla/K2 Atricle/Item design within the content area as limited that best presents pages to the viewers?""

I have a Masters in Computer Science, and a BA in Psych. I've read hundreds on PDF's about web design, but I found the best discussions on deviantART, it's a artists community, www.deviantart.com I really advise you to look at the artwork there and especially the interfaces and website designs. Interfaces and their designs teach you to put a lot of info in small spaces without looking too busy. This transfers over to web design. Next thing is get as deep into CSS as possible. It's such a drag when you know what you want but can't produce it. Now as far as a Joomla/K2 Atricle discussion.. I don't know of any because they really don't connect yet as far as work flow. It's more like one or the other right now, as K2 matures and modules (template based modules) are produced to make the displaying of content seamless there will be some discussions of that nature I'm sure. but for now K2 is like a Wordpress clone you can slam into joomla with no connection to Joomla content.

Now obviously Gavick has heard wind of my discussions about Gavick not supporting K2 with template designed modules. So I hear News Pro 4 is coming out with K2 support, finally.. I've been screaming about this from one side of the internet to the other for 2 months.