Keyword

Item Formating Options

• Talitha Gulla-Behrends
  • Talitha Gulla-Behrends's Avatar Topic Author
More
14 years 1 week ago #82593 by Talitha Gulla-Behrends
Item Formating Options was created by Talitha Gulla-Behrends
Is this right?  I have been attempting to edit the formatting of the data in my items.  I am so limited.  The data comes out in all paragraph style and I've lost some of my options that I originally had in the typical Joomla item formating options.  My options look like the attached image (myoptions.jpg).  I came across the K2Joom site and they look like the 2nd attached image (notmyoptions.jpg).  Did I do something wierd or does he have extra options cuz he's like the guru dude?
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 1 week ago #82594 by william white
Replied by william white on topic Item Formating Options
which editor are you using?
could be editor plugins or different editor

• Talitha Gulla-Behrends
More
14 years 1 week ago #82595 by Talitha Gulla-Behrends
Replied by Talitha Gulla-Behrends on topic Item Formating Options
tiny mce

More
14 years 1 week ago #82596 by william white
Replied by william white on topic Item Formating Options
Try jce

• Talitha Gulla-Behrends
More
14 years 1 week ago #82597 by Talitha Gulla-Behrends
I had posted this question on the joomla site also. Looks like my upgrade over the weekend changed my editor options. So I made the change they recommended (switch the functionality to extended). That did give me my options back. I'm wondering however... The formatting issues I have had started with the install of K2. I was under the impression that I had to change the css style to make any adjustments (ie create an itemized list, use multiple paragraphs, etc). I accidentally stumbled upon this tiny mce issue. Now, you recommend using jce. I do not have that plugin. Should I have that standard. Is this what would cause me to be unable to format my articles / items. (btw items that were created and formatted prior to using k2 still show themselves with the formatting in the backend but in the front end it simply shows an ongoing paragraph.)

Sorry so longwinded, as a noob I'm not sure what's important information.

• Talitha Gulla-Behrends
More
14 years 1 week ago #82598 by Talitha Gulla-Behrends
Update. Installed jce (and enabled). Items do have lots of formatting options. Unfortunately items in front end are still one big paragraph while formatted in the back end. Any ideas?

More
14 years 1 week ago #82599 by Chris Yates
Replied by Chris Yates on topic Item Formating Options
Tess,

In regard to editors then TinyMCE has all the formating options as JCE or any other editor but they are not enabled by default.

To enable them you need to go to back end - plugin manager and select Editor-TinyMCE. In parameters you see a drop down box called functionality.

Select extended option to enable full formating options.

I personally prefer the alternative method of creating a site wide master CSS style sheet rather than individually formating each article in the editor since this enables me to simply cut and past content and all the formating is done automatically.

Note from your last comment in this threat that text is ending up in one huge paragraph. You should look in the parameters section of your editor for (in the case of TinyMCE) an option called New Lines and set the element correctly.

Hope that adds some clarity.

Be Well,

CHRIS

• Talitha Gulla-Behrends
More
14 years 1 week ago #82600 by Talitha Gulla-Behrends
Chris Yates said:Tess,
In regard to editors then TinyMCE has all the formating options as JCE or any other editor but they are not enabled by default.

To enable them you need to go to back end - plugin manager and select Editor-TinyMCE. In parameters you see a drop down box called functionality.

Select extended option to enable full formating options.

I personally prefer the alternative method of creating a site wide master CSS style sheet rather than individually formating each article in the editor since this enables me to simply cut and past content and all the formating is done automatically.

Note from your last comment in this threat that text is ending up in one huge paragraph. You should look in the parameters section of your editor for (in the case of TinyMCE) an option called New Lines and set the element correctly.

Hope that adds some clarity.

Be Well,

CHRIS

Hi Chris, thanks for the help.
tinymce editor settings are as follows:

After changing the global configuration back (from Jce) to tinymce editor...

Functionality: changed to Extended (more editing options appear but this isn't translated to front end changes - in other words I can create the item to look the way I want but it still shows as one long sentence / paragraph on the front end - see this link: echosono.com/application/congenital/item/203-test0428.html.

New Lines: Tried both BR elements and P elements. Neither worked to change front end.

Thank you for your help, I'm a little out of my league on this.

• Talitha Gulla-Behrends
More
14 years 1 week ago #82601 by Talitha Gulla-Behrends
Solved. After two days of searching forums... Urghh. I finally typed in the correct verbage "stripped html" - I didn't know what to call it - and found a post suggesting the Content Clean Up HTML for introtext and full text be set to NO. I made this correction and voila! My world is back in orbit (pardon the momentary lapse into drama)! I'm learning soo much from all the helpful folks in this forum and the joomla site! And I'm so thankful!