Keyword

Any idea to make or emulate publishing editions / issues?

• Giorgio
  • Giorgio's Avatar Topic Author
More
14 years 1 week ago #82788 by Giorgio
HiUnless there's a specific solution or extension I haven't seen...Is there a way or how would you emulate the article publishing as editions?Like Number Issues and such.I have looked for an extension but I haven't looked very well yet as it seems I may not know the right "terms" to search it.I can imagine it this way...Just keeping the regular news categories at first level, then, a category is created for each edition to be archived, all the current articles(now obsolete) are moved there all "category-less".Then the new edition articles are submitted on the first level categories. What'd ya think?:)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Mauricio González
More
14 years 1 week ago #82789 by Mauricio González
Replied by Mauricio González on topic Any idea to make or emulate publishing editions / issues?
You should make a category for every edition. And just put the "featured" option to "yes" on every article that's on the latest edition.

When a new edition is published, the old "featured" articles become "unfeatured", but keep the edition category, and the new articles get the "featured" on.

Am I making sense? K2 is the perfect component for what you're trying to do.

• Giorgio
  • Giorgio's Avatar Topic Author
More
14 years 1 week ago #82790 by Giorgio
Sounds logical

I supose HomePage menu item and all modules must have "All categories" and "Just featured articles" activated.
Hmm, what I'm wondering how the subcategories are going to be managed if any, ther may be modules showing articles for certain subcategory, if the main category is a new one, then I guess all modules may need to be pointed to the "new" subcategory under the New category.
Anyhow, thanks again, I'm still thinking about your method.

Mauricio González said:You should make a category for every edition. And just put the "featured" option to "yes" on every article that's on the latest edition.
When a new edition is published, the old "featured" articles become "unfeatured", but keep the edition category, and the new articles get the "featured" on.

Am I making sense? K2 is the perfect component for what you're trying to do.

More
14 years 1 week ago #82791 by nano02
I remember that I saw here an extension to auto-archiving the articles, maybe you serve.

More
13 years 11 months ago #82792 by rashmani
Hi there,

dunno if this applies to your case, I think it could.
I had the same 'problem': I wanted to publish a bunch of K2 articles as an issue of a newspaper every month (say 'april 2010, issue 3', 'may 2010, issue 4', and so on) and have them available for a 'previous issues' menu or list.
The solution I adopted has been to create two main categories, 'issues' and 'firstpage', and sub-categories, one for each (month) issue: 'issues' contains all articles (each article belongs to an issue sub-category, say 'issue3april2001', 'issue4may2010', and so on), 'firstpage' contains only current issue sub-category.
This allows me to have different templates for first page category and old-issues category.
On the other side it forces me (every month) to move the newer issue-category to first page category and move the older to the old-issues category.
This also allows me to have 'Published in' indicating the issue number the article belongs to.
You can see what I mean here: www.lundici.it (home page hosts 'firstpage' category's articles, i.e. current issue, while old articles are grouped by issue and available from left menu 'Numeri arretrati').

HTH,
rashmani