Keyword

Version/revision control system?

• John Abbott
  • John Abbott's Avatar Topic Author
More
13 years 11 months ago #82943 by John Abbott
Version/revision control system? was created by John Abbott
Is there any thought to adding some type of version or revision control system to K2?  We have a large site with ~2000 K2 items.  We have four employees maintaining this content with the hope of spreading it out wider and allowing departments to maintain their own site content.  The only way this idea works though is if we have some way to account for changes.  All of the version control systems that are already out there are not K2 compatible.  Most of them are too light weight even if they could talk to K2.  Very close to perfect, was a version control system called V-Content (formally Egxact Revision Manager) which was really great for Joomla content.  But, doesn't work with K2.  Now that author has disappeared. --ja

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 11 months ago #82944 by FeSys
Replied by FeSys on topic Version/revision control system?
Hi.. "John"
Yes, this feature "Version control" is planned to be released for k2 2.4 or k2 2.5 I guess.
Along with new features as usual and fixes.
But not sure When will released.

More
13 years 10 months ago #82945 by Railer
Replied by Railer on topic Version/revision control system?
I hope you can step up the addition of a version tracking feature. I have a client that requires that feature for their site.

Thanks,
azurelink

More
13 years 10 months ago #82946 by Simon Wells
Replied by Simon Wells on topic Version/revision control system?
@Railer Unfortunately, there will always be that scenario with any software. Somebody wants something thats in the pipeline, we all want it now.
It basically all comes down to features that are most requested and most needed.

Stay tuned, thing can change.

Simon
K2 Support

More
13 years 10 months ago #82947 by Railer
Replied by Railer on topic Version/revision control system?
Hi Simon — sure. Just getting on the queue of people requesting it. Thanks!

It would definitely be better than having to color new text using the Select Text Color tool to differentiate it as edited text. The Select Text Color tool adds a span tag, which cannot be removed by the same tool once it's in the code — at least in the JCE Editor. So to remove the red color from the text, we'd have to choose another color (black or grey for text) which could wreak havoc with css styled body text in templates. You know what I mean...

Simon Wells (K2 Support) said:@Railer Unfortunately, there will always be that scenario with any software. Somebody wants something thats in the pipeline, we all want it now. It basically all comes down to features that are most requested and most needed.
Stay tuned, thing can change.

Simon
K2 Support

More
13 years 2 months ago #82948 by Mark Peters
Replied by Mark Peters on topic Version/revision control system?
I see that the last comment is from June last year, has there been any news on the versioning front since then? This feature would be highly appreciated!Thanks,Mark

More
13 years 2 months ago #82949 by Dominic Martin
Replied by Dominic Martin on topic Version/revision control system?
I'd just like to add my vote to a version control system for K2. I have found the following application, which the developers say they are updating for K2. Maybe people could let them know that it's needed.

www.contentversion.com

Thanks.

Dominic

More
13 years 1 month ago #82950 by Ruth Cheesley
Replied by Ruth Cheesley on topic Version/revision control system?
+1 for a versioning system within K2 rather than butchering something external to work with K2!

Ruth

Ruth Cheesley
Virya Technologies

More
13 years 1 month ago #82951 by Casper Voogt
Replied by Casper Voogt on topic Version/revision control system?
It would be FANTASTIC to see this in K2, especially if it also supports versioning with JoomFish. 

The lack of this feature is a dealbreaker on a major project of mine right now.

More
13 years 1 month ago #82952 by Ruth Cheesley
Replied by Ruth Cheesley on topic Version/revision control system?
Maybe the same project eh :)

Ruth Cheesley
Virya Technologies