Keyword

CURRENT SVN - GOOGLE SEARCH

• Chris Yates
  • Chris Yates's Avatar Topic Author
More
14 years 1 day ago #83040 by Chris Yates
CURRENT SVN - GOOGLE SEARCH was created by Chris Yates
Guys, Checked current SVN on local host this morning and google enabled search is returning blank pages despite there being in excess of 20,000 pages on google in various permutations either about me or something I have said.This might be something you want to address/fix before releasing the next version of k2.Be Well,CHRIS

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 1 day ago #83041 by Simon Wells
Replied by Simon Wells on topic CURRENT SVN - GOOGLE SEARCH
Hi Chris,

I have just tested this in V2.3SVN and confirm that search for Joomla returns 0 results.
I will log this as a bug.

Simon
K2 Support

• Chris Yates
More
14 years 7 hours ago #83042 by Chris Yates
Replied by Chris Yates on topic CURRENT SVN - GOOGLE SEARCH
Simon,

Thanks very much for logging that.

Be Well,

CHRIS

More
13 years 11 months ago #83043 by Lefteris
Replied by Lefteris on topic CURRENT SVN - GOOGLE SEARCH
Hi. If i get it right you are referring to K2 google search integration functionality. If that's the case i would like to inform you that this cannot be run on localhost. This functionality needs a live site so Google can search in this.

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---
Please search the forum before posting a new topic :)

• Chris Yates
More
13 years 11 months ago #83044 by Chris Yates
Lefteris,

Thanks for this infromation and I'll give that a go.

CHRIS

Lefteris Kavadas said:Hi. If i get it right you are referring to K2 google search integration functionality. If that's the case i would like to inform you that this cannot be run on localhost. This functionality needs a live site so Google can search in this.

More
13 years 11 months ago #83045 by Simon Wells
Hi Chris,

I have run some further tests after discussing and can confirm that this function is working.

Here is an update on what to do.

In the K2 Parameters, there is a field called Container ID to render the Google search, which as default is filled with k2Container.
I changed this to mainContent and I was then able to see results displayed.

You can test this at k2joom.com/docs
There your will see two search forms, the top is the K2 version which will return results using Google Search.

There are two main reasons why results might not be displayed.
1) The template used might not have div k2container setup for the K2 search page.
2) A newly developed site may not have been indexed.
3) If you are running on a local system.

Try testing using a joomla and K2 search module on the same page.
Search for a known word in the Joomla search and then use firebug to check which container the results are displayed in.
Enter that information in to the K2 parameters as mentioned above, save, then refresh your page and test the K2 version.

Let us know how you get on.

Simon
K2 Support

• Chris Yates
More
13 years 11 months ago #83046 by Chris Yates
Simon,

Thanks the advice and will check that out when I get time out from the busy day today.

While you're there at the other end let me ask you another quick question.

Can the K2 plugin be used to insert Google Adsense code and if so how the blazes is it done since haev looked at the code and can't get my head around it (that maybe something to do with only having had 8 hours sleep in the last 48 hours though)?

Don't want to use the loadposition method since this is is a messy solution.

Thanks in advance any advice on this score.

Be Well,

CHRIS

Simon Wells (K2 Support) said:Hi Chris,
I have run some further tests after discussing and can confirm that this function is working.

In the K2 Parameters, there is a field called Container ID to render the Google search, which as default is filled with k2Container.

There your will see two search forms, the top is the K2 version which will return results using Google Search.

1) The template used might not have div k2container setup for the K2 search page.

Search for a known word in the Joomla search and then use firebug to check which container the results are displayed in.
Enter that information in to the K2 parameters as mentioned above, save, then refresh your page and test the K2 version.

Simon
K2 Support

• Chris Yates
More
13 years 11 months ago #83047 by Chris Yates
Simon,

Your google search on K2Joom Docs isn't working either!

Tried it using several simple terms like "bbc"and "cnn" and so forth and it's returning nothing other than two articles on your site!!

Be Well,
CHRIS

Chris Yates said:Simon,
Thanks the advice and will check that out when I get time out from the busy day today.

Can the K2 plugin be used to insert Google Adsense code and if so how the blazes is it done since haev looked at the code and can't get my head around it (that maybe something to do with only having had 8 hours sleep in the last 48 hours though)?

Be Well,

CHRIS

Simon Wells (K2 Support) said:Hi Chris, I have run some further tests after discussing and can confirm that this function is working.

Simon
K2 Support

More
13 years 11 months ago #83048 by Simon Wells
Hi Chris,

Yes, that is correct.
K2 is using the Google API to search your site only, it will not return results from other domains.

Simon

Chris Yates said:Simon,
Your google search on K2Joom Docs isn't working either!

Tried it using several simple terms like "bbc"and "cnn" and so forth and it's returning nothing other than two articles on your site!!

Be Well,
CHRIS

Chris Yates said:Simon, Thanks the advice and will check that out when I get time out from the busy day today.

Be Well,

CHRIS

Simon Wells (K2 Support) said:Hi Chris, I have run some further tests after discussing and can confirm that this function is working.

Simon
K2 Support

• Chris Yates
More
13 years 11 months ago #83049 by Chris Yates
Simon,

To clarify (slow on uptake today) this uses the Google API to return items only from the Site and NOT from Google itself?

CHRIS

Simon Wells (K2 Support) said:Hi Chris,
Yes, that is correct.
K2 is using the Google API to search your site only, it will not return results from other domains.

Simon

Chris Yates said:Simon, Your google search on K2Joom Docs isn't working either!

Be Well,
CHRIS

Chris Yates said:Simon, Thanks the advice and will check that out when I get time out from the busy day today.

Be Well,

CHRIS

Simon Wells (K2 Support) said:Hi Chris, I have run some further tests after discussing and can confirm that this function is working. Here is an update on what to do.

Simon
K2 Support