Keyword

Ability to display single line catalogitems in content section

• Stephen Rowe
  • Stephen Rowe's Avatar Topic Author
More
13 years 11 months ago #83256 by Stephen Rowe
Not sure if this has been discussed previously - searched but couldn't find it.

I want to set up a screen that consists of simple, single line entries containing 4 fields including a link to another page. For example (the site, btw, is used to display photographic sporting images)

(The | are the field separators)

VES Rnd 2 | Mt Beauty, VIC | Sunday May 09 2010 | Series | <link to page here>

So far I have only been able to find a way to display this information (which, btw, is no problem getting it into the database) but without hacking php code, only displays like this:

VES 2 Mt Beauty Additional Info

Date 27 Feb 2010
Event Name VES Round 2
Location Mt Beauty, VIC
Series VES 2
Site

First - even if I used this layout I want to remove, compleyelt, the wording 'Additional Info' - I can't find anywhere (aside from code) to do this (IMHO - an unprofessional look and abbreviation).

Now I realise, if I really want to, I can get in and modify the display code for this page BUT - I cannot get this information to display inside the Content pane of the web site (I am currently still playing around with the JA_Purity template - so nothing fancy).

The next item should, ideally, be listed straight underneath the first one and so on - IOW a simply list, down the screen for however many items I want to display. I have already been able to have these items come up and get listed under a specific menu button (I have 4 broad categories of events and these will contain many more items - which is what I want to display above).  I also realise that splitting these 4 categories may cause me troubles as I want ALL items to display, in the content pane, in reverse date order (ie newest on top going down the screen to oldest) and also be able to select a menu option to just display either a broad category or a series of races).

Has anyone set up a site along these lines. Maybe I am trying to get too much out of K2 - my one complaint is the lack of documentation - unfrotunately this is enough for me to only give this another couple of days before I start looking elsewhere to try and get what I want - but I am willing, at this stage, to give it a go IF I can get a simple listing in the content pane.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 11 months ago #83257 by william white
Additional Info can be found at line 135 of category_item.php - change Info to Information if you like better.

Just below that you will see a foreach loop that displays extra fields in a list
What you are looking for should be done in a K2 template which suppresses most of category_item.php and reformats the list that displays the extra fields for each item in a fashion similar to that of the itemToolbar in item.php.

• Stephen Rowe
  • Stephen Rowe's Avatar Topic Author
More
13 years 11 months ago #83258 by Stephen Rowe
Thanks for this - you are correct, I can change that line - I guess what I am also saying though is that I should hve to go changing source code to make a change like this. ALl it takes is a forgetful moment and next upgrade (if I continue with it) and I can lose this type of change.

I am just surprised though that no one has come up with a reasonably simple way of displaying informaiton on a line by line basis. I was hoping it had already been done, but guess I will have to dig in and do it myself - just takes a lot of time learning - especially with the extremely limited documentation available for K2 (very disappointing given how long it has now been around).

More
13 years 11 months ago #83259 by william white
Search for template tutorial here and also at K2Joom.com
There is a good reference
After creating your override directory, and copying the default views, play with the files category.......php