Keyword

Newbie- Trying to understand it all

More
13 years 10 months ago #84913 by CHays
Forgive me for sounding stupid, because I know I will to a lot of you, I am so overwhelmed by this component. I am trying to figure out simply what is the purpose, other then to pretty things up, I just don't get it.

I'm also very confused with where to start. I read one area but it didn't give me the real nitty gritty of it.

Can someone please send me to a link that gives a good explanation of what the K2 purpose is, I guess my real question is, is this something that just basically replaces the content of the site, such as articles, sections, etc. with extras?

From the looks of it, it does a WHOLE lot! And that is exciting to me, but I'm the kind of person that does well with a good detailed start up guide.

Also, if someone wouldn't mind just throwing in some specific basic areas I would use K2 ...  I want to use it, it looks and sounds awesome... I just don't want to keep going in circles with this.

Thank you for your patience in advance ;)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 10 months ago #84914 by william white
Replied by william white on topic Newbie- Trying to understand it all
K2 adds many things. You are correct, items are a replacement for articles.
K2 has categories and sub categories
You can use these for your entire site or use Joomla articles for some parts and K2 items for some parts
Study this site simon.getk2.org/k2-documents for more info

More
13 years 10 months ago #84915 by CHays
Replied by CHays on topic Newbie- Trying to understand it all
Thanks so much! I am on my way in now :)

More
13 years 10 months ago #84916 by CHays
CHays said:Thanks so much! I am on my way in now :)

Ok... so quickly... the Extended User control could basically make up for the user permission issues in joomla correct?
I could, in essence have a subscription service that allows only certain users that sign up at the site permission to access certain areas/components? Or is this strictly who can have access to items.

More
13 years 10 months ago #84917 by william white
simon.getk2.org/k2-documents/itemlist/category/16-33-k2-users
You can taylor the permissions of user groups so that some can add items and edit their own items, and some can edit all items.

More
13 years 10 months ago #84918 by CHays
William White said:http://simon.getk2.org/k2-documents/itemlist/category/16-33-k2-usersYou can taylor the permissions of user groups so that some can add items and edit their own items, and some can edit all items.

Ok.. but permissions only pertaining to the articles? Or would this allow me to tie these extended user controls into other joomla areas? Does that make sense?
What I am trying to do is block certain people from accessing, for example, the sobi2 component... just using this as an example. If I want only certain user groups to have access of that component, will this be affected in any way with how I set up extended user controls in K2 or will it allow me to extend it to other areas sitewide? Or is it going to be K2 content specific?

Thanks so much for your time with this William :)

More
13 years 10 months ago #84919 by william white
I think the k2 acl is designed for the front end of K2 items. K2 users can be synced with other systems, but i think the sort of control you want will be either with an acl component or with 1.6 whenever it arrives
watch the presentation - community.getk2.org/video/k2-for-beginners-by-fotis?xg_source=activity
where fotris discusses the acl

More
13 years 10 months ago #84920 by CHays
William White said:I think the k2 acl is designed for the front end of K2 items. K2 users can be synced with other systems, but i think the sort of control you want will be either with an acl component or with 1.6 whenever it arriveswatch the presentation - community.getk2.org/video/k2-for-beginners-by-fotis?xg_sourc...where fotris discusses the acl

Thank you ... Yes, I will check that out now :)