13 years 8 months ago #88630 by Rhianon Hoffman
Varying Author Name was created by Rhianon Hoffman
Hi,I am creating a blog where there will be authors from
different organizations.  Currently the title and author name are
displayed like the image below.  I would love to take the "written by"
out (because some of the blogs are video, not written) and have the name
of their organization follow their name (in the image below it would be
"Bo Noonan - New Community, Tacoma WA" for example".  Is there a way to
do that?Thank you in advance for any help!Seth(By the way, I posted this in the beginner's forum a week or two ago but am reposting it because it wasn't responded to.  I figure it was probably the wrong forum for the question.  Thanks.)
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Miltiadis bouchalakis
More
13 years 8 months ago #88631 by Miltiadis bouchalakis
Replied by Miltiadis bouchalakis on topic Varying Author Name
Hello you will need to override the template community.getk2.org/notes/Templating_in_K2
then you can create some extra fields and position them in the place of written by.
or you can install extensions.joomla.org/extensions/extension-specific/k2-extensions/12557 and then call the user extra fields or call the user description
i know that my post is cryptic for someone that is just starting to learn k2. Read the tutorials and i will help you.
Be aware that you will need some php html and css knowledge in order to modify the template

• Rhianon Hoffman
  • Rhianon Hoffman's Avatar Topic Author
More
13 years 8 months ago #88632 by Rhianon Hoffman
Replied by Rhianon Hoffman on topic Varying Author Name
Hi Miltiadis,

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly!

I followed your link and copied everything into my /templates/YOURTEMPLATE/html/com_k2/ folder. I did need to create the com_k2 folder which I assume is normal. There was already a mod_k2login there but not a com_ folder. Anyway, inside that folder, it seemed that the tutorial expected the "default" folder and a couple of views to be in the root. The views they used as examples, generic.php, user.php etc were not in the root but in the "templates" folder. Is that ok? The "default" folder was also located in the "templates" folder.

If I want to change the way the author name is displayed across the whole site, can I not just edit the files at the components/com_k2 level? Also, just to ensure I am communicating what I want to happen, I edited my last image to add the location. It doesn't need to be linkable, just displayed. I checked out the plugin you mentioned but it didn't seem to accomplish this.

So what should I do next?

Thanks so much for your help!
Seth

Miltiadis bouchalakis said:Hello you will need to override the template community.getk2.org/notes/Templating_in_K2 then you can create some extra fields and position them in the place of written by.
or you can install extensions.joomla.org/extensions/extension-specific/k2-exten... and then call the user extra fields or call the user description
i know that my post is cryptic for someone that is just starting to learn k2. Read the tutorials and i will help you.
Be aware that you will need some php html and css knowledge in order to modify the template
Attachments:

More
13 years 8 months ago #88633 by william white
Replied by william white on topic Varying Author Name
looks good, nice work

Seth Hoffman said:Hi Miltiadis,
Thanks for getting back to me so quickly!

I followed your link and copied everything into my /templates/YOURTEMPLATE/html/com_k2/ folder. I did need to create the com_k2 folder which I assume is normal. There was already a mod_k2login there but not a com_ folder. Anyway, inside that folder, it seemed that the tutorial expected the "default" folder and a couple of views to be in the root. The views they used as examples, generic.php, user.php etc were not in the root but in the "templates" folder. Is that ok? The "default" folder was also located in the "templates" folder.

If I want to change the way the author name is displayed across the whole site, can I not just edit the files at the components/com_k2 level? Also, just to ensure I am communicating what I want to happen, I edited my last image to add the location. It doesn't need to be linkable, just displayed. I checked out the plugin you mentioned but it didn't seem to accomplish this.

Seth

Miltiadis bouchalakis said:Hello you will need to override the template community.getk2.org/notes/Templating_in_K2 then you can create some extra fields and position them in the place of written by. or you can install extensions.joomla.org/extensions/extension-specific/k2-exten... and then call the user extra fields or call the user description

• Rhianon Hoffman
  • Rhianon Hoffman's Avatar Topic Author
More
13 years 8 months ago #88634 by Rhianon Hoffman
Replied by Rhianon Hoffman on topic Varying Author Name
Whoops - I might have miscommunicated about the image. It doesn't look like that on the site - that's just what I want it to look like. Normal text, not linked, etc. I'm trying to put the code up that will enable browsers to display the information like that. Perhaps it isn't possible.

Thanks

William White said:looks good, nice work Seth Hoffman said:Hi Miltiadis, Thanks for getting back to me so quickly!

Seth

Miltiadis bouchalakis said:Hello you will need to override the template community.getk2.org/notes/Templating_in_K2 then you can create some extra fields and position them in the place of written by. or you can install extensions.joomla.org/extensions/extension-specific/k2-exten... and then call the user extra fields or call the user description i know that my post is cryptic for someone that is just starting to learn k2. Read the tutorials and i will help you. Be aware that you will need some php html and css knowledge in order to modify the template