Keyword

K2 and Media

• jk15060
  • jk15060's Avatar Topic Author
More
13 years 1 month ago #95598 by jk15060
K2 and Media was created by jk15060
I am brand new to K2 and have installed a template from JoomlaXTC that included K2.  But I'm having all sorts of problems trying to figure out how to get images to change and then how to get those changes into the SRC and CACHE folders under /media/k2/items.

I have tried using the BROWSE button and locating the file on my hard drive, but no luck.  I've got the image to work properly on the front page, but once I click the READ MORE link below the image, I don't see that image any longer.

I also tried the BROWSE SERVER after uploading my images to /images/stories/........  but still no luck.

wncproperty.com/wncrealestate is the website I'm working on if anyone can help out.

If there's documentation somewhere that can walk me through how the media stuff works, then just send me that pointer.  Otherwise, I hope there's help in this forum for a VERY green K2 user.

Thank you so much in advance!

Janis

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 1 month ago #95599 by william white
Replied by william white on topic K2 and Media
If you are talking about k2 item images, try this.

Add or Edit the item, add the image, and let k2 do its work.

If you want to change the image, add or edit the item, browze and upload another image, let k2 do its work

If you want to delete the image, edit the item, tick the delete image, and let k2 do its work

Its best not to mess with the image directories directly as k2 names things the way it wants them. It creates several versions of each item image that you can specify with the category settings to show in the category and item view.

If an item image is not showing in the front end, check first the item settings and be sure the item image is either set to inherit or show, next check the category settings for the same thing, of course in the view that its not showing up for you in.

• jk15060
More
13 years 1 month ago #95600 by jk15060
Replied by jk15060 on topic K2 and Media
Hi William!

Thank you for the reply!  That's exactly what I have done, but nothing ever seems to "stick".  I end up having to copy the image file into /media/k2/categories, replacing the file that existed there before.  Let me back up a minute and say that when I installed Joomla 1.5.22, I included the sample data from the JoomlaXTC template.  There were already entries for the K2 Content.  Initially I tried adding a new category/item to the list, but never saw it appear.  So now I'm renaming the pre-existing entries, and trying to swap out images from the ones that were already added. 

I guess I need to start all over again and see where it takes me.  A new question:

Should images be added via my local machine or should they be uploaded first and then located via the server?  Or is that a six of one, half dozen of the other?  I suspect either way should work, but I'm not finding this K2 very user friendly.

One more question:  Do you know of a way to omit the title across the Mainslidehow at the top of the page? Perhaps that's a default and it cannot be omitted?

Thank you again for the reply!

Janis

More
13 years 1 month ago #95601 by william white
Replied by william white on topic K2 and Media
Unless you are dealing with large images, which may cause problems anyway, because they are not optomized for web, i would use the item image upload from k2 and pick the image (already small file) from my local machine and let k2 do as it chooses with it

The slideshow may or may not be loading k2 images, and should have its own paramaters and views

• jk15060
More
13 years 1 month ago #95602 by jk15060
Replied by jk15060 on topic K2 and Media
Sigh. Guess I'm going to have to start all over on these pictures again. Images aren't large at all - I've resized them prior to using.

Thanks again for the replies, William