Keyword

K2 useable for creating portal?

• Beate Schrader
  • Beate Schrader's Avatar Topic Author
More
10 years 3 months ago #124536 by Beate Schrader
K2 useable for creating portal? was created by Beate Schrader
Hello,

I'm trying to realize a user portal for step-by-step construction manuals. The manuals have to be written by the logged in users. For inserting the manuals text I made some extra fields for the several steps of tutorial. For each step text field I need the possibility to upload an image directly from the users computer.

So I began trying K2 for that and first it looks like the ideal component. But then I failed withe the extra field Image. This only allows to upload the image via mediamanager. But the users should not have access to all images on the server. I wanted to create it like the image tab in the joomla article so that users can't select the directory and the file-size for the image.

As a best solution I would prefer a workaround like this:
  • user is generating the article with only some of all details
  • user is referring to a new form for insert the several steps
  • while uploading he first image for a step it will be generated an image directory for this article
  • all images that will be uploaded will automaticly be stored in that directory

Do this sounds very complicated? Is that generally possible with K2 or is it better to choose another CCK?

Many thanks for spending time for my issue and kind regards
Beate

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Yiota
  • Visitor
10 years 3 months ago #124537 by Yiota
Replied by Yiota on topic Re: K2 useable for creating portal?
The image extrafield cannot access the media manager from the frontend to upload. The permissions are restricted. All the user can do is to just select an already uploaded image.

You can use a textarea typed extra field for your image, though which you can set it up to show only the image tool available through the editor. If you use JCE, you can create a frontend profile and limit the access to any folder you like for your users and the images will all be uploaded there.

I think that will solve the image issue you are referring to.

To generate the article with some of the details is up to you and how you want to handle your extra fields. You can put required only to those fields you absolutely need your users to fill in. The title and category are required by default.

• Beate Schrader
  • Beate Schrader's Avatar Topic Author
More
10 years 3 months ago #124538 by Beate Schrader
Replied by Beate Schrader on topic Re: K2 useable for creating portal?
Hello,

thank you very much for your explanation, so I will try it...

thanks Beate

• Yiota
  • Visitor
10 years 3 months ago #124539 by Yiota
Replied by Yiota on topic Re: K2 useable for creating portal?
You are welcome.