Keyword

Ordering : K2 doesn't care

More
9 years 1 month ago #142627 by Piki Kiki
Replied by Piki Kiki on topic Ordering : K2 doesn't care
Django,

can you send or publish screen shot of - the Menu link/Option/ Item ordering, I cant found that.

THX

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Django
  • Django's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
More
9 years 1 month ago #142631 by Django
Replied by Django on topic Ordering : K2 doesn't care
i.imgur.com/QWDxV67.png

As I said, now it works, with "Inherit" selected for the menu link ordering option.

But, I don't understand why it doesn't work with "Ordering" selected in this field.

• Django
  • Premium Member
More
9 years 1 month ago #142632 by Django
i.imgur.com/QWDxV67.png

Meanwhile, I noticed that I can put anything in this field (Menu link/Option/ Item ordering) and now it doesn't change the ordering of the sub-categories !! It's always good (2014-2013-2012-....).

The ordering management of K2 is a big mystery for me .

More
9 years 1 month ago #142634 by JoomlaWorks
Replied by JoomlaWorks on topic Ordering : K2 doesn't care
Bear in mind this. You usually only set item ordering inside the category parameters. If you want multiple same-level categories to have similar options and you don't wanna repeat yourself to death, simply create a "template" category (an empty one), adjust the parameters there and then have ALL the other same-level categories inherit the options of this category. This way you can control e.g. ordering more precisely. Don't forget that if you have the cache on, this may sometimes confuse you. So when you test things, also remember to momentarily disable the cache. Finally, the menu option of ordering exists only to override the default ordering options set in the category. For example, you may want to retrieve the items of one or more categories in a different way than you already do. See what we do for example in getk2.org/extend/templates. We got 2 menu items for the latest ones and the most popular ones. These are 2 menu items pointing to the same category, however the 2nd one has an ordering override, so we can filter the popular ones instead of just the recent ones.

Trust me on this, K2's ordering is much more logical compared to Joomla's article system.

Fotis / JoomlaWorks Support Team
---
Please search the forum before posting a new topic :)

• Django
  • Premium Member
More
9 years 1 month ago #142635 by Django
Thanks for taking part in this discussion, Fotis.

But I don't see the utility of an empty category so that all the same level categories can inherit the parameters, because we can ajust the parameters of an active first category for that.

I did all my (very numerous) tests without cache, and the problem is that, one time, the menu ordering parameter overrided the category parameter, and now it doesn't change anything in the ordering of the sub-categories list, whatever I select in Menu link/Option/ Item ordering. ("Ordering" is selected everywhere in the categories and sub-categories parameters).

More
9 years 1 month ago #142643 by JoomlaWorks
Replied by JoomlaWorks on topic Ordering : K2 doesn't care
If the ordering option is the same for this tree of categories (as well as other params), I highly suggest you use your master category as the "category template" and have all others inherit params for the master.

If that's not the case, keep in mind this:
- We first check the ordering in each category
- If the ordering (and other params) is inherited from some other category, we check that category instead.
- Finally, we check if the ordering is being overridden inside a menu item. Keep in mind there are 2 different ordering controls inside the K2 category menu item, one for when linking to a single category and one for linking to multiple categories. Check which control is enabled.

Ordering is very important in huge media portal deployments. Keep in mind K2 has been extensively tested and working for many many years, powering some of the world's top news portals built with Joomla. So, if there was a bug in ordering inheritance, we would probably already know.

Now, in order for us to help you, I need you to explain your structure (be specific) and which ordering you want to achieve when you're calling the menu items and when you're viewing your K2 categories (if they are not linked via some menu item).

If needed, setup a demo site with K2 only, import the default Joomla sample data to get some articles, and experiment by modifying ordering only.

Fotis / JoomlaWorks Support Team
---

More
9 years 1 month ago #142686 by Piki Kiki
Sorry Krigor,

sent you my login credit. for my joomla admin back thru contact form as you asked. Did you received it?

Thank you.

More
9 years 1 month ago #142692 by Piki Kiki
OK, I figure it out. Thanks to all of you.

• Krikor Boghossian
  • Platinum Member
More
9 years 1 month ago #142697 by Krikor Boghossian
Replied by Krikor Boghossian on topic Ordering : K2 doesn't care
No, it might have ended up in the spam folder.
Is the issue resolved or should I look at the folder?

Also under which name did you send the email?

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---

More
9 years 1 month ago #142729 by Piki Kiki
Maybe Kiki Piki
For me is solved. In my case: settings are default(K2), default(categories), ordered (items) and most important it is not the matter of logic but I have tu "turn" around all items to see what is right order. Funny but that is the way....

ThX