Keyword

K2 as a business directory

• trogladyte
  • trogladyte's Avatar Topic Author
More
9 years 1 month ago #141549 by trogladyte
K2 as a business directory was created by trogladyte
I've never used K2, but have done 2 sites in Sobi2 (oh my goodness, horrible experience) and currently have one site using SobiPro (much better but still not overwhelming me!). I have also got one site developed using Form2Content to keep continuity of article layout. However, that site really isn't functioning like a true directory - just a series of articles using tags to sort.

I have a new client who has a current Joomla site running K2 (couple of minor versions old). He likes K2 for content authoring and would like to stick with it. He's also wanting me to start a new site for him, also using K2 if possible.

On both these sites he wants a sortable business directory (something like Sobi in functionality). Te directory needs to be able to be searched on various parameters such as, all restaurants within xx miles, all vineyards in <town name>, etc. Is K2 capable of doing this?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Sandra Currey
  • Namaste
More
9 years 1 month ago #141550 by Sandra Currey
Replied by Sandra Currey on topic K2 as a business directory
Yes !! K2 extra fields is great for this, and add Joomcar Search and filter module.

• trogladyte
More
9 years 1 month ago #141551 by trogladyte
Replied by trogladyte on topic K2 as a business directory
Thanks for the reply Sandra.

So can I set it up like a normal bus directory so that users see a small record and then click through to details? Is templating (for a total K2) noob simple or is it all php programming (which I don't really know)? I had a quick look for the documentation on programming but couldn't see it.

Thanks.

• trogladyte
More
9 years 1 month ago #141552 by trogladyte
Replied by trogladyte on topic K2 as a business directory
Sorry, should have been clearer in my question. I don't want a site template, I mean styling the layout of each record in the frontend. As I said, I have worked with Sobi and it's all php and way over my head. No way I could handle writing one like that. However, Form2Content just uses tags in a standard Joomla type article. So all you do is make up your "template" like you would write a normal article, except you use {$tag} in place of whatever you want to display. Simple and effective.

• Sandra Currey
  • Namaste
More
9 years 1 month ago #141615 by Sandra Currey
Replied by Sandra Currey on topic K2 as a business directory
No not talking about a site template either. With K2 you can customise just the layout of items in a category. Play with your extra fields and check out the Joomcar extension. You can also add in tags for the search and filter. Sadly the documentation on doing this isn't good, but its all possible. My "under development" site has the beginning of one, its clunky still and I am at the stage of trying to get the item layout set up. But have a look at "the-rune-lounge.com" then go Info > Knowledgebase, and also Info > Events. Both use the same kind of system you would use for a directory.