Keyword

K2 and Joomla 4

More
1 year 1 month ago #180802 by trogladyte
Replied by trogladyte on topic K2 and Joomla 4
THANKS!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 1 month ago #180811 by Joom
Replied by Joom on topic K2 and Joomla 4
Hi
Any chance to RC version K2 for Joomla 4? having 10 sites with K2 and in middle of migration to Joomla 4. love to get k2 for Joomla 4 copy .

thank you

• JoomlaWorks
  • JoomlaWorks's Avatar Topic Author
  • Admin
More
1 year 1 month ago #180834 by JoomlaWorks
Replied by JoomlaWorks on topic K2 and Joomla 4
@Chris
a) K2 works with PHP up to 8.1 on Joomla 3. If you can't upgrade, it's some other extension or your template you need to deal with, that's for sure.

b) Joomla 4 is really, really beta software. It's not just us saying this... Anyone who really knows Joomla, knows this. On the one side it's Joomla's marketing/hype/whatever machine and on the other side it's reality.

And yes there are some in the community that preach you *MUST* update to J4, but dig those folks up: most have either little to no professional coding/development skills and surely insignificant background in large Joomla projects.

I mean, the J team (unfortunately) just utterly got it wrong this time. If they didn't, this www.opensourcematters.org/organisation/requests-for-proposals/322-request-for-proposals-extended-support-for-joomla-3-x.html would not have been posted by OSM (the org. that runs Joomla).

And this will surely bite back Joomla in many forms (e.g. by sending more folks to WordPress).

Fotis / JoomlaWorks Support Team
---
Please search the forum before posting a new topic :)

More
1 year 4 weeks ago - 1 year 4 weeks ago #180871 by Andrew Hickey
Replied by Andrew Hickey on topic K2 and Joomla 4
The extended support request for Joomla 3 by OSM is interesting isn't it. You'll note that they are very insistent in the job outline that the provider not fork the project or support it after the contract period. The name of the company is 'Open Source Matters', but they are apparently petrified that some people will decide they quite like Joomla 3 and things not breaking and take the code forward.

All that said, from reading the posts here and your recent article, it seems like you've been very careful not to provide any details about the current development status of K2 for Joomla 4 and when it might be available. Even if there was a ballpark we could provide our clients and help us to plan accordingly, it'd be helpful. If I've missed some those details somewhere else, please refer me on.

Given the usage of K2 by high traffic sites and the impetus (right or wrong) to move to J4 before the August deadline, I wonder if contributing to the development costs to get this over the line might make the difference?
Last edit: 1 year 4 weeks ago by Andrew Hickey.

More
11 months 4 weeks ago - 11 months 4 weeks ago #180936 by STEPHAN HERBY
Replied by STEPHAN HERBY on topic K2 and Joomla 4
Yeah, I agree @Andrew Hickey,
The request of OSM mention "The awarded applicant will be required to provide Security Support for Joomla 3.10 core, developing patches and releasing security update packages for 18 months from August 2023 onwards."
18 MONTHS !
This is a nightmare for a simple user : I don't know if I have to upgrade or not to J4 + Which version should I use for my new sites ? The problem is coming from Joomla organisation, not K2 or Joomlaworks!
The proof is in the pudding; a lot of CCK has NOT migrated to J4 yet : Seblod (Release Preview) - Fabrikar - K2 - Chronoform... and so on. Some exception of course, but not enough...
Last edit: 11 months 4 weeks ago by STEPHAN HERBY.

More
10 months 3 weeks ago #180997 by Lindy wineman
Replied by Lindy wineman on topic K2 and Joomla 4
This is very exciting - I am keeping all fingers and toes crossed that K2 will be ready for Joomla 4 by the end of June 23. I have several sites that i am upgrading to J4 and they currently use K2 extensively plus I have a new site that is just made for K2 -

I love this extension!!

More
10 months 3 weeks ago #180998 by RomyS
Replied by RomyS on topic K2 and Joomla 4
Hi team! Me too.
Many sites are waiting for your update! We will wait for your communication. Thank you so much.

More
10 months 3 weeks ago #181001 by sizu
Replied by sizu on topic K2 and Joomla 4
Hi,
is it true that K2 will be ready for Joomla 4 by the end of June 23? I can't find any information about this, could someone verify this?

Thank you so much.

More
10 months 2 weeks ago #181011 by GabiW
Replied by GabiW on topic K2 and Joomla 4
JoomlaWorks wrote 3 month ago:

The plan is to release before the end of June 2023 (need to get SIGPro ready first).

SIGPro is not ready
I have now started migrating about 60 websites to joomla 4. I no longer believe in a K2 update this year.
Fotis, let me know if I'm wrong. A Beta version would help.
Best regards,
Gabi

More
10 months 1 week ago #181014 by sizu
Replied by sizu on topic K2 and Joomla 4
Thanks Gabi for your reply