Keyword
Please note that official support for commercial extensions & templates is provided in the Subscriber Help Desk.
Support requests should ONLY be directed there and require an active subscription plan.
This forum board is to be used for archive purposes and knowledge exchange ONLY.

Simple Image Gallery Pro displays only "Welcome to the Frontpage"

• michael stoddard
  • michael stoddard's Avatar Topic Author
More
15 years 8 months ago #17192 by michael stoddard
Brand New Customer --- Just purchased and installed SIG Pro. Created temp directory for the thumbnails, uploaded images into a new folder, configured and enabled the PlugIn, and all I see in my browser now is "Welcome to the Frontpage" on a background of all white (see attachment). Works the same no matter which one of 4 standard Joomla templates I select. With the PlugIn disabled, Joomla! runs fine. I am running an XAMP configuration on my Windows XP laptop:

Apache 2.2.3
PHP 5.2.0
Joomla 1.5.7
MySQL 5.0.67

I did look at previous posts containing "Simple Image Gallery Frontpage), but did not see any inofmation particular to my error. Thanks for looking.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• JoomlaWorks Support Team
  • Platinum Member
More
15 years 8 months ago #17193 by JoomlaWorks Support Team
Replied by JoomlaWorks Support Team on topic Re: Simple Image Gallery Pro displays only "Welcome to the Frontpage"
Hmmm...  Really strange...
Lets answer 2-3 questions to understand what happens!

I believe the version of XAMPP that you are using support already GD2 graphic library, but can you please check it out also yourself?

Can you please post here the source code of the page?
Have you tried the plugin at an online server or only at your topic system?

Sorry about all this questions, just I'm trying to understand the issue!

;-)

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---
Please search the forum before posting a new topic :)

• michael stoddard
More
15 years 8 months ago #17194 by michael stoddard
I'm using the BlackBear Pro Joomla! template; "Big Bear" told me to check out the SIR (Simple Image Rotator) and SIG (Simple Image Galley) plugins to add some cool picture displays to my webpage. I assume that the GD2 graphics library is working, because the SIR module from the other group runs fine all by itself to display a rotating slideshow at the top of my Frontpage.

I have not tried installing the code on a remote Unix based website; I can see all of your example websites that appear to run it just fine. They look great!

My local XP laptop has been running HTML/CSS/PHP/CGI/Perl just fine for all my website work; I want to do my next projects using Joomla templates.

I installed and enabled your SIG code and immediately encountered the problem. I didn't even put the {gallery}myphotos{/gallery} text string on my article page. By simply disabling the plugin, the Frontpage returns to normal.

Mike S.

• michael stoddard
More
15 years 8 months ago #17195 by michael stoddard
Success - I was able to fix the problem with your clue about the GD2 library. After Googleing "GD2 Library" to see what it did for PHP (remember, I am a Joomla newbie), I executed <? phpinfo(); ?> to see if it said anything significant about GD2 being enabled; it did not. That confirmed that it was not enabled.

I looked for the php_gd2.dll library in the PHP/ext folder; it was there OK, so I copied it to my XP %system%/system32 folder as the blog post said to do. Next, I edited my PHP.ini text file; I enabled the GD library in the "Dynamic Extensions" section by removing the semi-colon from the statement ";extension=php_gd2.dll ".

Finally, I "bounced" (restarted) my Apache //localhost sever to get PHP to recognize the changes I just made, and viola -- everything works fine now. Thanks again for the GD2 library clue; that was the thread I followed to fix the problem. I ran phpinfo() again and took a snapshot of the GD2 section showing all the new settings (below).

Final question -- I see in your documentation how to change the size of the thumbnails, but I don't see how to force SIG to display all my pictures the same size no matter what the original pixel size of the image file is. Any suggestions? I don't want the high-res pictures taking up the total screen.

Thanks, Mike S.

• JoomlaWorks Support Team
  • Platinum Member
More
15 years 8 months ago #17196 by JoomlaWorks Support Team
Replied by JoomlaWorks Support Team on topic Re: Simple Image Gallery Pro displays only "Welcome to the Frontpage"
Hi my friend!

I'm afraid, this version of Sig Pro doesn't support the resize of the original image for the popup, but only for the thumb...

It's a feature that many of our clients want and we are working on that.

Until that version, it's better to upload images with the exactly size you want, for the popup.

Thank you and sorry for any inconvenience.

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---
Please search the forum before posting a new topic :)

• michael stoddard
More
15 years 7 months ago #17197 by michael stoddard
OK, I got everything working fine on my //localhost server on my XP laptop. I iploaded everything to my ISP Joomla 1.5.6 website on SiteGround. They loaded loaded Joomla!, created the database, and turned it over to me to configure.

When I execute the template module code {gallery}myphotos{/gallery}, it goes completely blank displaying the message on my screen:
"Warning: getimagesize/ home/ website/ public_html/ joomla/ images/ stories/ myphotos/ bear2.png) [function.getimagesize]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in / home/ website/ public_html/ joomla/ plugins/ content/ jwsigpro/ sigpro_engine.php on line 86 Image type not supported".

I read the SIG module checklist and made sure that the images /temp folder was writeable and that the sigpro_engine.php file in the /jwsigpro folder was writeable. I ran phpinfo() to make sure the GD library was enabled; they have version 2.0.34 on the SiteGround configuration.

If I leave the SIG module installed in Joomla but disable it with the checkbox, then the rest of the template pages work fine.

Any new suggestions?
Thanks,
Mike S.

• michael stoddard
More
15 years 7 months ago #17198 by michael stoddard
OK, here is the solution for all of you who follow this trail of posting breadcrumbs. For me, it was nothing to do with permissions on the Linux folders; don't go change all your 757 permissions to 777. I did it and the problem still happened. Here is the Forum URL to the real solution:

forum.joomlaworks.net/index.php?topic=5247.0

What it says is to change all of your image filename characters from upper-case to lower-case. As soon as I did this, SIG started working immediately. Windows on my XP laptop wasn't case-sensitive; evidentally Linux on my ISP is. Case closed.