Keyword

Image cache questions

More
10 years 6 months ago #72583 by Gee
Replied by Gee on topic Re: Image cache questions
In my case: 4682 images in src (1200 MB) and 23321 images in cache (2300 MB). Thats 3500 MB !
There should be a solution. We just have a couple news a day. What do big news sites do?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Christos Kougkouleris
More
10 years 6 months ago #72584 by Christos Kougkouleris
Replied by Christos Kougkouleris on topic Re: Image cache questions
Exactly my point. And still no reply from the developers on finding a solution on that. Big sites should not use K2 as it seems. I am already developing a new site with just joomla articles. And just going to use the K2 ones as some kind of archive as the move of articles from K2 to joomla is a hell as we'll.

K2 may be nice but not for big sites as news sites.

More
10 years 5 months ago #72585 by julien
Replied by julien on topic Re: Image cache questions
Hello Any news from the K2 team?
as it is for me a CRUCIAL point to have

when you erase the cache it should rebuild with new dimension chosen from k2 parameters no?

thank you

More
10 years 5 months ago #72586 by Hrvoje Znaor
Replied by Hrvoje Znaor on topic Re: Image cache questions
Hi

I'm jumping on the bandwagon with wish for this feature.

IMHO it's pretty essential to have ability to rebuild image cache with few clicks.

Most of users changes their minds about image sizes after some time is passed, when they already have a lot of items created.

Without some coding skills (to implement suggestions posted here) they need to re-upload ton of images again, which is plain PITA. I wonder how come that such versatile component like K2 doesn't already have this a must have feature.

Do you even considering to implement such feature in some near future?

Thanks
Best Regards

More
10 years 2 months ago #72587 by Andreas A
Replied by Andreas A on topic Re: Image cache questions
You are absolutely right!

The time has come that I need a complete redesign for my site, which has thousands of items, and found out just how unacceptable the whole way K2 manages the photos is.

Perhaps I can only blame my poor judgment, as I started using K2 only two years ago, when it wasn't really necessary because by that time we had j2.5 and nested categories. Now with 3 we even have more new options that to a great extent make k2 not that useful anymore.

Now we have to spend time, and possibly money, to revert everything to joomla default article system (plus the extra work for all the links that are out there not to appear broken), or just make an archive section with the old k2 items and start using joomla categories and articles for the new one.

• Yiota
  • Visitor
10 years 2 months ago #72588 by Yiota
Replied by Yiota on topic Re: Image cache questions
Hello,

You can try @Robert's script to rebuild the cached images.
You can find it here: bit.ly/1aT8JcT

More
10 years 2 months ago #72589 by Andreas A
Replied by Andreas A on topic Re: Image cache questions
Καλησπέρα Γιώτα,

My problem is not rebuilding the image cache. I had no problem transferring my old items, with all the pictures to the new one. I just think that the way the component manages the pictures is far from optimal for big sites. I have a relatively big sports portal. We often use the same images for a lot of articles. That means that the same files are generated again and again, just taking space for no reason. I have about 2000 original images which hardly use 150MB of space, and a massive total of 6000 k2 generated versions of the same files, that use almost 700MB.

I'm planning to expand to different sports, which means that my articles an pictures are going to be doubled or tripled over the next year. Imagine what effect this will have.

• Yiota
  • Visitor
10 years 2 months ago #72590 by Yiota
Replied by Yiota on topic Re: Image cache questions
A suggestion would be to only keep in the cache folder the image sizes you only use in your site and all other unused sizes keep in another storage/backup folder.

You have to be absolutely sure on what sizes you use everywhere in your site, even for the facebook or the rss feeds in order to do this.

This has the drawback of the manual cleanup every time you see fit and when you want to make a redesign, for example and you need to use another image size. You actually have to put the images back in place from the backup folder in order to use them.

There is no other way, that I know of, to narrow down the cache folder I'm afraid.

More
10 years 2 months ago #72591 by BBC
Replied by BBC on topic Re: Image cache questions
Just want to say hallo to old folks.

And to add that i dont have any problems whatsoever with images, flush images, rebuild images, delete unused images.
Works all the time, works without a single error, choose between plenty of plugins for that type of work.

Solution is simple, use Wordpress or Drupal. I never more enjoyed building websites.
Something is very wrong in Joomla world, wrong to the bone.