Keyword
Please note that official support for commercial extensions & templates is provided in the Subscriber Help Desk.
Support requests should ONLY be directed there and require an active subscription plan.
This forum board is to be used for archive purposes and knowledge exchange ONLY.

Question about Watermark before buying

• ThomasH
  • ThomasH's Avatar Topic Author
More
16 years 8 months ago #6901 by ThomasH
Hi there,

actually i'm using SIG on one of my sites but unfortunately it doesn't support image based watermarks (.png with transparency).

Now i'd like to know, is SIG Pro able to handle dynamic watermarks? I haven't found  any info here at the forums or on your website, with no word you mentioned watermarking functions  :'(

And if it works with dynamic watermarks, will it slow down the gallery? Just asking because i'm using multithunb beside SIG and multithumb is horribly slow when it comes to handle more than 5 images. The site that contains the pictures takes ages to open (not very surfer friendly).

Thanks in advance for your answers.

Greetings,
Tom

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• JoomlaWorks Support Team
  • Platinum Member
More
16 years 8 months ago #6902 by JoomlaWorks Support Team
Replied by JoomlaWorks Support Team on topic Re: Question about Watermark before buying
Hi there!

When you create the final image with the watermark, what extensions have the image?

Thank you

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---
Please search the forum before posting a new topic :)

• ThomasH
More
16 years 8 months ago #6903 by ThomasH
Replied by ThomasH on topic Re: Question about Watermark before buying
Hi,

the images always remain as .jpg no matter what kind of watermark i use (like already said, i prefer using a .png-watermark because of the transparency!!) because the watermark is added "on the fly" as an overlay. Don't know how to describe it better since i lack the knowledge of coding and stuff. So if you want to see how it works exactly i suggest you to download a copy of multithumb  ;)

So about your answer, does it mean, that SIG Pro doesn't have that feature included?  ???

Thanks in advance,
Tom

• Platinum Member
More
16 years 8 months ago #6904 by JoomlaWorks Support Team
Replied by JoomlaWorks Support Team on topic Re: Question about Watermark before buying
Hi again!

Can you send me please ( in PM if you like ) one of the final images, with the watermark ) to test it?

Thank you!

An jpg image with watermark, is just a jpg image.
I think will work, but for sure, can you send me the image?
( the engine of make thumbs in SIG Pro is different respect the SIG free )

Thank you!

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---

• Platinum Member
More
16 years 8 months ago #6905 by JoomlaWorks Support Team
OK,

I created an image ( jpg ), using a png image as watermark.
The final image was just fine in SIG Pro!
Also the thumb is ok!

I'll upload this image at our demo site to see it yourself!  ;)

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---

• ThomasH
More
16 years 8 months ago - 16 years 8 months ago #6906 by ThomasH
Hey vinikey,

at first let me say thanks for your effort.

Just to clear things up, the watermarks are dynamic. Images are NOT altered (important!!!), they remain like they were and only get that overlay if you open them, let's say in the lightbox (i.e. if you click on them to get the full size image)

Hope you understand what i tried to explain =)

If not, i suggest you again to install a copy of multithumb. It's exactly what i need, i'm just unhappy about the speed. multithumb is terribly slow if it comes to more than 10 pictures with a long text.

Cheers,
Tom

//Additional question about your last post
Is the watermark added on the fly or embedded? And, is it the picture with the color spectrum in the middle? I think i haven't seen it before ...

//edit
After reading a bit about coding a watermark i saw, that mostly the pictures are merged to a new picture. If i use the example multithumb (sorry for mentioning it that often but it's a great example) i can change the watermark-.png whenever i want and the new one shows up after clearing multithumbs cache. So it means, that the watermark and the original image aren't merged, right?

• Platinum Member
More
16 years 8 months ago #6907 by JoomlaWorks Support Team
Hi Thomas!

Hmmm... now understand what you say!  :)
When the lightbox efe is running, read the original image, as it is.

Doesn't create in the image "on the fly" watermarks.
And this is the reason, i belive, that the multithumb is slow!

Lightbox is just a js that read the original image as it.
If you want to put some watermark, must put it in the image from the beggining.

I'm afraid SIG Pro can't create ( in this version ) "on the fly" the watermark.

But it is a good idea and we will put it in our plans!

Thank you!

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---

• ThomasH
More
16 years 8 months ago - 16 years 8 months ago #6908 by ThomasH
Hi again vinikey,

seems like we're having some kind of chat here, eh?  ;D

Well, like i've written in my previous posts edit i learned a bit about the watermarking techniques. I think you're right when saying, that this might be the reason why multithumb is so terribly slow.

Well, i still want to use SIG Pro, no question. So you said, you were able to add a watermark that is embedded into the picture instead of generated "on the fly". Now the question is, did you add it through Photoshop or any other Application or  did you add it through GD2.0 and php? If added through php i could live with this solution as long as i have a watermark. So is there a chance that SIG Pro creates a copy of the original image, adds the watermark and save it as a copy so the original picture remains untouched? Sorry if my question may sound stupid but again, i'm not that experienced if it comes to the coding part.

Again, thank you so much for your great effort. Really appreciated!!!

Cheers,
Tom

By the way, i'm a little confused about the fact that noone asked for such a feature since it's important for photographers to protect their pictures against thiefing. Weird  :)

//edit
Here's an article about adding watermarks through GD2.0 and php
www.sitepoint.com/article/watermark-images-php

• Platinum Member
More
16 years 8 months ago #6909 by JoomlaWorks Support Team
But we have a chat!  :) :D

About the last comment, noone asked for such a feature, cause, in the folder where the SIG Pro read the images, they put images where have already the watermark, and leave the original images in safe post ( as it the computer! )

If SIG PRO creates a copy of the original image, adds the watermark and save it as a copy, yes the original picture remains untouched.
But any one will be able to see those pictures with the "hard linking"! It isn't safe this for the photographers!

Other clients of ours do as i said before, create the pictures with the watermark and upload them to the site and the original keep them in a safe place!

The SIG PRO will be in a few of months a component/module/mambot where you will have many options with the use of the pictures and the labels. Is in our plans to add the feature of editing the picture ( include watermarking ) in this component, as do now the "Media Manager XTD Admin Component" ( doesn't support this watermakr ).

I hope i help you with those info!

Regards George Chouliaras

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---

• ThomasH
More
16 years 8 months ago #6910 by ThomasH
Hey George,

yes, your answer helped me, thx.

So i think the only choice i have is either watermarking the pictures through photoshop or wait until a new version is released. Since i have a sh*tload of pictures i don't want to edit through photoshop i think, that i have to stick to my current setup  :'(

I hope a new version of SIG Pro will get released soon. I really, really like the rest of the features and i'd love to use it on my site.

Thanks and greetings,
Tom